Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
John Maclean

Default Power management on a Macbook Pro

I have 15" MBP and it's all gravy. No matter how much I try to get used
to this OS I still yearn for a "proper *nix system" and put F12 onto a
partition on this laptop. So I'm dual booting with Snow Leopard and f12
and cannot help wondering why the power management is so different
between the two systems.

1 - OS X. Boot up and mouse over on the power icon. Tells me that I have
3.x hours of battery life remaining.

2 - F12. Boot up and mouse over on the power icon. Tells me that I have
1.x hours of battery power remaining.

How/why could these stats be so different? Is there any way to find out
myself? I know that OS X does not have a /proc/ dir so I will not be
able to compare /proc/APCI/blah/de/blah.

How do others find using F12/F13 beta with an MBP?

--
John Maclean MSc. (DIC) Bsc. (Hons),Core Linux Systems Engineering,07739
171 531

Old 04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Eugene Tretyak

Hi, John!

On 13 April 2010 17:35, John Maclean <jayeola@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 15" MBP and it's all gravy. No matter how much I try to get used
> to this OS I still yearn for a "proper *nix system" and put F12 onto a
> partition on this laptop. So I'm dual booting with Snow Leopard and f12
> and cannot help wondering why the power management is so different
> between the two systems.

Which MBP do you have?

A new Unibody MBPs have two GPUs: GeForce 9400M and 9600M GT.
In Mac OS X a 9400M GPU is used by default for power saving.
In Linux if you boot in BIOS (Bootcamp) mode you'll get only 9600M GPU
which eats a lot of power resources.
There is an option to boot in EFI mode. In this case you'll be able to
see both GPUs, and you can select which one to use. This should save
you some battery time.

[skipped]

> How do others find using F12/F13 beta with an MBP?

I don't have a Linux installed on my MBP 5,1. But I'm going to try F13 on it.
I'll post my results.

--Gene

Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Nataraj

Eugene Tretyak wrote:
> Hi, John!
>
> On 13 April 2010 17:35, John Maclean <jayeola@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have 15" MBP and it's all gravy. No matter how much I try to get used
>> to this OS I still yearn for a "proper *nix system" and put F12 onto a
>> partition on this laptop. So I'm dual booting with Snow Leopard and f12
>> and cannot help wondering why the power management is so different
>> between the two systems.
>>

> Which MBP do you have?
>
> A new Unibody MBPs have two GPUs: GeForce 9400M and 9600M GT.
> In Mac OS X a 9400M GPU is used by default for power saving.
> In Linux if you boot in BIOS (Bootcamp) mode you'll get only 9600M GPU
> which eats a lot of power resources.
> There is an option to boot in EFI mode. In this case you'll be able to
> see both GPUs, and you can select which one to use. This should save
> you some battery time.
>
> [skipped]

Interesting. Do you have to install bootcamp to access both modes? I am
currently booting with Refit. I wonder if this will work with the newest
Macbook Pro released a few days ago that has NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M and
Intel HD graphics for power saving mode. One of the problems that I have
is that switching between internal and external displays is not reliable
and I have to repeatedly type ctrl-alt-backspace and keep restarting the
X server until it comes up on the external display. (this is on an older
macbook). I'm also wondering if dual external displays work correctly on
the macbook pro.

It is also possible to install vmware fusion under MacOS and have a
fedora partition that can be booted standalone as well as under Fusion
(the same fedora partition). I set this up a while ago. It was a
headache to setup, but has worked reliably since I set it up.

Nataraj