Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
"Ahmed Kamal"

Default Dell Vostro 1500n with Centos/RHEL-5.1

Hi List,
I would like to know any experience regarding installing Centos/RHEL-5.1 on Dell Vostro 1500n. I am probably buying this laptop soon, and I intend to run Linux on it (mainly RHEL/Centos) not fedora because that's what my ISV supports *I'm skeptical as to whether this laptop will run Linux happily? Google only told me Gentoo and recent Ubuntu can probably run, but*can someone please share his experience intalling/running*centos/rhel on it.

*
Would I be crazy to expect RHEL4 to run on it ?
*
Appreciating the help
Regards
*

Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Gerold Kassube

Hi Ahmed,

to be honest, why you ask on the FEDORA-LAPTOP list to run a Laptop on
"connatural" Distribution and NOT on the lists owner?

First, I have no experience with that laptop BUT if ONE linux runs on
it, most of the also do so, too.
If there is a Gentoo and/or Kubuntu works (with all kind of embemmed
Hardware?!) then I'm pretty sure that a RHEL 5.1 (which is based on
Fedora Core 6 afaik) will also run ...

Just my five cents ...

Gerold

Old 01-06-2008, 08:59 PM
"Ahmed Kamal"

I really appologize for asking this here, but here is as close as I could get. Most people only*regard rhel/centos as server OS, and most bloggers will only install ubuntu on their laptops
I know the "if one Linux runs, others will probably run after it" rule. Thing is, Gentoo is super bleeding edge, and Ubuntu with patches and unofficial drivers is again bleeding edge, and that's not giving me a "cool feeling" rhel5 (is it what, almost one year old already OMG) is probably going to run!

Greatly appreciating any first hand impressions
PS: I will check my email every 12 hours or so, so throw whatever you've got at me
*
Thanks guys and best regards

Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Jos Vos

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:52:18PM +0100, Gerold Kassube wrote:

> First, I have no experience with that laptop BUT if ONE linux runs on
> it, most of the also do so, too.
> If there is a Gentoo and/or Kubuntu works (with all kind of embemmed
> Hardware?!) then I'm pretty sure that a RHEL 5.1 (which is based on
> Fedora Core 6 afaik) will also run ...

I wouldn't dare to draw that kind of conclusions.

Missing up-to-date video- or sound drivers, or even SATA issues with
Intel's Santa Rosa chipset, might cause you many headaches and these
"details" differ between Linux distros and also between RHEL 5.x and FC6.

I don't know about Dell Vostro's, but I've learned (especially with
laptops) that you really have to test the distro you want to run on
that specific system (or know that someone else did that).

Having said that, some laptop vendors change their chips during the
life cycle or have numerous variants, so you should be aware of this
too.

Better ask it on the RHEL5-list, there are also Dell people on that
list AFAIK, so you might get a more concrete answer there.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Jos Vos

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:59:50PM +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:

> I really appologize for asking this here, but here is as close as I could
> get. Most people only regard rhel/centos as server OS, and most bloggers
> will only install ubuntu on their laptops

I think this laptop-list has not many members (but I might be wrong)
and I personally had more success with asking laptop questions on
the "normal" (non-laptop) RHEL5 or Fedora lists.

> Thing is, Gentoo is super bleeding edge, and Ubuntu with patches and
> unofficial drivers is again bleeding edge, and that's not giving me a "cool
> feeling" rhel5 (is it what, almost one year old already OMG) is probably
> going to run!

This is a correct observation. Even a system certified for SLES9 (IIRC)
didn't run RHEL4, just because it needed 915resolution (to patch the
Intel video chipset BIOS table). This was easily fixable, but it shows
that only the target OS is a reliable test.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Gerold Kassube

Am Sonntag, den 06.01.2008, 23:08 +0100 schrieb Jos Vos:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:52:18PM +0100, Gerold Kassube wrote:
>
> I wouldn't dare to draw that kind of conclusions.
^^
OK :-)

> Better ask it on the RHEL5-list, there are also Dell people on that
> list AFAIK, so you might get a more concrete answer there.
^^
IMHO you can address Matt directly; his details are listed here
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MattDomsch

--
Gerold Kassube <gerold@lugd.org>

Old 01-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Matthias Kranz

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 23:43 +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Hi List,
> I would like to know any experience regarding installing
> Centos/RHEL-5.1 on Dell Vostro 1500n. I am probably buying this laptop
> soon, and I intend to run Linux on it (mainly RHEL/Centos) not fedora
> because that's what my ISV supports I'm skeptical as to whether
> this laptop will run Linux happily? Google only told me Gentoo and
> recent Ubuntu can probably run, but can someone please share his
> experience intalling/running centos/rhel on it.

I think you have some options:

o Post this kind of question directly to

o Check Linux on Laptops web sites, like http://www.linux-laptop.net or
http://www.tuxmobil.org for your specific laptop model. Even if there
not yet a link for RHEL5/CentOS5 you will probably find lots of useful
hints and possible pitfalls.

Cheers,
Matthias
--
Matthias Kranz
http://mkr.oerks.de

Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 AM
"john h outlan"

I'm new on the list....I use an Asus C90s...Fedora was a dream installing on this machine.* Thanks for links, I wasn't even aware of those mobile linux sites.

On Jan 7, 2008 4:32 AM, Matthias Kranz <
matthiaskranz@gmx.de> wrote:

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 23:43 +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Hi List,
> I would like to know any experience regarding installing
> Centos/RHEL-5.1 on Dell Vostro 1500n. I am probably buying this laptop
> soon, and I intend to run Linux on it (mainly RHEL/Centos) not fedora

> because that's what my ISV supports I'm skeptical as to whether
> this laptop will run Linux happily? Google only told me Gentoo and
> recent Ubuntu can probably run, but can someone please share his

> experience intalling/running centos/rhel on it.

I think you have some options:

o Post this kind of question directly to

o Check Linux on Laptops web sites, like http://www.linux-laptop.net or

http://www.tuxmobil.org for your specific laptop model. Even if there
not yet a link for RHEL5/CentOS5 you will probably find lots of useful
hints and possible pitfalls.

Cheers,
Matthias

--