Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Max Pyziur

Default Dell Inspiron 600m / Switching LCD/CRT

Greetings,

Is there a way of switching between the LCD and CRT on a Dell Inspiron
600m?

The video specific output from lcpic -v:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250
[Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 011e
Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, stepping, 66MHz, medium
devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11

Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
Memory at fcff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fc000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0

I've done a clean installation of F8. I have radeontool installed. I can
get it to turn off the LCD, but I can't get it to deliver output to the
CRT port.

On bootup, I can use Fn+F8 (CRT/LCD) and see that the flip can be done.
However, it disappears after the splash screen disappears.

I've done some searching via google and the ubuntu pages mention the use
of i810switch. However, there are no i810switch rpms on Fedora sites.
There are some older source packages available on the DAG repository for
older versions of Redhat/FC*. Is the i810switch the one which should be
used?

Thanks in advance.

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com

Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Matt Domsch

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:49:44PM -0500, Max Pyziur wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Is there a way of switching between the LCD and CRT on a Dell Inspiron
> 600m?
>
> The video specific output from lcpic -v:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250
> [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
> Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 011e
> Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, stepping, 66MHz, medium
> devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
> Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
> I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
> Memory at fcff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
> [virtual] Expansion ROM at fc000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
> Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0
> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>

> I've done a clean installation of F8. I have radeontool installed. I can
> get it to turn off the LCD, but I can't get it to deliver output to the
> CRT port.
>
> On bootup, I can use Fn+F8 (CRT/LCD) and see that the flip can be done.
> However, it disappears after the splash screen disappears.
>
> I've done some searching via google and the ubuntu pages mention the use
> of i810switch. However, there are no i810switch rpms on Fedora sites.
> There are some older
> source packages available on the DAG repository for older versions of
> Redhat/FC*. Is the i810switch the one which should be used?

no, that's only useful for some Intel video chips (i810, i910, i965 or
so). It's removed from Fedora 8 in favor of xrandr.

Does xrandr work for you?

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux