Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 AM
"William M. Quarles"

Default CPU/GPU? Lockup on Dell Latitude C640

Hey all,

My Dell Latitude C640 laptop for some reason kept locking up on Fedora 9. I thought it might be related to the fact that it was docked, so I undocked it, no luck. Tried installing Fedora 10, it locked up in the installation program once I got to custom package selection. Tried again while skipping the customization process, it locks up during the package installation.

The lockup seems to be similar to the CPU overheating that I have experienced in the past when a fan went bad on my Dell desktop. I'm not really all that sure as to whether or not the fan is running on here when I have booted into Fedora either. I think I've seen this happen when the GPU on my laptop overheated as well. I also saw a common bug posted on Radeon graphics chipsets, which this laptop has the Radeon 7500 set, but I am not sure if that is an issue either.

As usual (fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not sure which) I'm having zero issues when using Windows XP Pro SP3.

Any ideas?

Oh, and is anybody else having trouble with Gmane lately? I can't seem to post to the groups, and Lars won't answer my e-mails.

Thanks,
William

Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
"William M. Quarles"

From: Brian Millett <bmillett@gmail.com>

> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 07:11 +0000, William M. Quarles wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> My Dell Latitude C640 laptop for some reason kept locking up on Fedora 9. I
>> thought it might be related to the fact that it was docked, so I undocked it, no
>> luck. Tried installing Fedora 10, it locked up in the installation program once
>> I got to custom package selection. Tried again while skipping the customization
>> process, it locks up during the package installation.
>>
>> The lockup seems to be similar to the CPU overheating that I have experienced
>> in the past when a fan went bad on my Dell desktop. I'm not really all that sure
>> as to whether or not the fan is running on here when I have booted into Fedora
>> either. I think I've seen this happen when the GPU on my laptop overheated as
>> well. I also saw a common bug posted on Radeon graphics chipsets, which this
>> laptop has the Radeon 7500 set, but I am not sure if that is an issue either.
>>
>> As usual (fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not sure which) I'm having zero
>> issues when using Windows XP Pro SP3.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Oh, and is anybody else having trouble with Gmane lately? I can't seem to post
>> to the groups, and Lars won't answer my e-mails.
>

>try doing a memtest with the live cd.

I'm very new to this Live CD concept. What is a Live CD, and how do I make it? Why wouldn't the memory test on the installation disc work instead?

(Remember to "Reply All" when you write back, Brian, so it makes it to the list).

Peace,
William

Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Brian Millett

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 15:34 +0000, William M. Quarles wrote:
> From: Brian Millett <bmillett@gmail.com>
> >
> > On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 07:11 +0000, William M. Quarles wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> My Dell Latitude C640 laptop for some reason kept locking up on Fedora 9. I
> >> thought it might be related to the fact that it was docked, so I undocked it, no
> >> luck. Tried installing Fedora 10, it locked up in the installation program once
> >> I got to custom package selection. Tried again while skipping the customization
> >> process, it locks up during the package installation.
> >>
> >> The lockup seems to be similar to the CPU overheating that I have experienced
> >> in the past when a fan went bad on my Dell desktop. I'm not really all that sure
> >> as to whether or not the fan is running on here when I have booted into Fedora
> >> either. I think I've seen this happen when the GPU on my laptop overheated as
> >> well. I also saw a common bug posted on Radeon graphics chipsets, which this
> >> laptop has the Radeon 7500 set, but I am not sure if that is an issue either.
> >>
> >> As usual (fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not sure which) I'm having zero
> >> issues when using Windows XP Pro SP3.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Oh, and is anybody else having trouble with Gmane lately? I can't seem to post
> >> to the groups, and Lars won't answer my e-mails.
> >

> >try doing a memtest with the live cd.
> >

> I'm very new to this Live CD concept. What is a Live CD, and how do I make it? Why wouldn't the memory test on the installation disc work instead?

On the Fedora 10 installation media, weither it is the Live CD, CD 1, or
DVD, the grub menu has a "Memory Test" option. Select that to test the
RAM on your laptop. If you tried to install with the Live CD, then when
you get the screen that it will boot in X seconds, press the down arrow
key to get to the GRUB menu items.

--
Brian Millett - [ G'Kar and Morden, "Signs and Portents"]
"The Centauri stripped my world. I want justice."

Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Brian Millett

Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 PM
"William M. Quarles"

All memory tests were successful in the first pass. I also ran the, what was it, "bit decay test," or something like that, and it was successful on the first pass of that as well.

However, I did notice something odd... this is a Pentium 4 system, 400 MHz FSB, 266 MHz DDR RAM... the testing program reported an FSB speed of 99 MHz... any thoughts on that?

Any further suggestions that might trouble shoot this installation problem?

Thanks,
William

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Brian Millett

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 21:17 +0000, William M. Quarles wrote:
> All memory tests were successful in the first pass. I also ran the, what was it, "bit decay test," or something like that, and it was successful on the first pass of that as well.
>
> However, I did notice something odd... this is a Pentium 4 system, 400 MHz FSB, 266 MHz DDR RAM... the testing program reported an FSB speed of 99 MHz... any thoughts on that?
>
> Any further suggestions that might trouble shoot this installation problem?

Well, if it is a heat problem then you might try the mighty blow.
Meaning grab the laptop, put mouth very close to the exhaust port and
BLOW. For my dell d820 it is just behind, to the left. Dust should
appear everywhere. It just might be a dust problem.

Other than that, I'm not sure.
--
Brian Millett - [ Delenn (re: Japanese stone garden), "The Gathering"]
"Notice the waves, each moving in its own order. Predictable...unchanging.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
"William M. Quarles"

From: Brian Millett <bmillett@gmail.com>

> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 21:17 +0000, William M. Quarles wrote:
>> All memory tests were successful in the first pass. I also ran the, what was
>> it, "bit decay test," or something like that, and it was successful on the first
>> pass of that as well.
>>
>> However, I did notice something odd... this is a Pentium 4 system, 400 MHz
>> FSB, 266 MHz DDR RAM... the testing program reported an FSB speed of 99 MHz...
>> any thoughts on that?
>>
>> Any further suggestions that might trouble shoot this installation problem?
>>

> Well, if it is a heat problem then you might try the mighty blow.
> Meaning grab the laptop, put mouth very close to the exhaust port and
> BLOW. For my dell d820 it is just behind, to the left. Dust should
> appear everywhere. It just might be a dust problem.
>
> Other than that, I'm not sure.

I used some canned air on the exhaust port and the openings for the chipset and CPU fans. Some dust came out of the exhaust port.

I ran Dell Diagnostics on the laptop, and the only problems it had were minor and only on the floppy drive. It passed all of the other "extended" tests, including RAM, fans, and CPU thermistor.

I still don't like how the Memtest detected a 99 MHz FSB, for some reason that is concerning me.

Should I call upon the mighty Bugzilla at this point about the lockups, or try the general list?

Peace,
William

Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Brian Millett

I'd try both the general list & look in bugzilla.

--
Brian Millett - [ Garibaldi and Vir, "Grail"]
"As long as you can hear them. As long as there's noise around. You're