Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 PM
"Lasith Sameera"

Default Fedora10 KDE desktop folder view getting slow

Hi,

Few weeks back I have upgraded my HP pavilion dv6560 notebook from Fedora 8 to Fedora 10. It looks great and work fine. But i notice one issue with new desktop folder view that comes with new KDE. When I select item from folder view it gets few second to select and after select it get hang for a few second till mouse get moves. I have did few updates but no luck. But there issues not appeared in normal Desktop PC with Intel VGA.

Is there any one who can help me ?
My notebook HW/Driver details
Linux version 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 (mockbuild@x86-3.fedora.phx.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.3.2 20081105 (Red Hat 4.3.2-7) (GCC) )

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400M GS (rev a1)
kmod-nvidia.i686--177.82-1.fc10.7

--
Thanks & Regards,
Lasith Sameera

Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Rex Dieter

Lasith Sameera wrote:

> In that case i need to confirm that issue and when will we get patches.

video slowness is all nvidia, so ask them.

-- Rex

Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Mustafa Mehmed

Hi Lasith,

I have a very similar laptop and setup except I use GNOME and not KDE. I
used to use KDE all the time because of its high configurability, but
GNOME became the default install in Fedora a while ago, so I've stuck
with that now and it is more than adequate for a desktop.

My set up is :-

HP Pavilion DV6746TX laptop (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo
CPU**** T5550* @ 1.83GHz)

2 GIGs RAM

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400M GS
(rev a1)

Linux hp-laptop 2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 15:12:04 EST
2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

$ rpm -qa|grep -i nvidia

kmod-nvidia-2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686-177.82-1.fc10.6.i686

kmod-nvidia-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686-177.82-1.fc10.4.i686

kmod-nvidia-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686-177.82-1.fc10.7.i686

xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-177.82-1.fc10.i386

xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-177.82-1.fc10.i386

kmod-nvidia-177.82-1.fc10.7.i686

I have used, F8, F9 and am currently using F10 as my os. I have always
done a clean install and never an upgrade (previous unsatisfactory
experiences).

My video runs perfectly and quickly. Maybe you could try two things -
install GNOME and see if you still get the kind of latency you are
describing, or reinstall F10 from scratch (PITA) and ensure that you have
the rpm-fusion repos also installed - you can then use precompiled nvidia
modules. I have in the past compiled my own nvidia drivers modules if I
couldn't be bothered for LIVNA to catch up, although with rpm-fusion
repos this does not now seem to be a problem. Good luck.

(
mockbuild@x86-3.fedora.phx.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.3.2 20081105
(Red Hat 4.3.2-7) (GCC) )

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400M GS
(rev a1)

kmod-nvidia.i686--177.82-1.fc10.7

--

Thanks & Regards,