FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Laptop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Jim Duda
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

I have a very weird problem.

Compaq Presario F500. Only about a year old.

Recently (past few weeks), whenever I boot up, the following
keys are non responsive; asdfjkl; and the enter key.

If I wait a few minutes, like 3 or 4 minutes, they start
working. If I restart a couple of times, they start
working too, however, I think this is the same 3-4
minute delay.

It would appear to be a hardware problem (bad keyboard),
however, once the keys start working, I never have another
problem, until the next reboot.

Could there be some software issue here?

I really like the laptop, works well, I really don't
want to take it apart unless I have to.

Jim

_______________________________________________
Fedora-laptop-list mailing list
Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list
 
Old 12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
"Miguel Angel Perez"
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

Hi Jim.

You can search into system logs and look for keyboard-related messages, that will provide some hints of errors that could be happening.

You can try from console:
dmesg | less
cat /var/log/messages | less


Or from gui you can use the system logs viewer in Applications -> System Tools -> System log

2008/12/13 Jim Duda <jim@duda.tzo.com>

I have a very weird problem.



Compaq Presario F500. *Only about a year old.



Recently (past few weeks), whenever I boot up, the following

keys are non responsive; asdfjkl; and the enter key.



If I wait a few minutes, like 3 or 4 minutes, they start

working. *If I restart a couple of times, they start

working too, however, I think this is the same 3-4

minute delay.



It would appear to be a hardware problem (bad keyboard),

however, once the keys start working, I never have another

problem, until the next reboot.



Could there be some software issue here?



I really like the laptop, works well, I really don't

want to take it apart unless I have to.



Jim



_______________________________________________

Fedora-laptop-list mailing list

Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com

http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list



--
--
Miguel Ángel Pérez

_______________________________________________
Fedora-laptop-list mailing list
Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list
 
Old 12-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Jim Duda
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

Miguel Angel Perez wrote:
> Hi Jim.
>
> You can search into system logs and look for keyboard-related messages,
> that will provide some hints of errors that could be happening.
>
> You can try from console:
> dmesg | less
> cat /var/log/messages | less
>

Thanks for the reply Miguel, and good idea. I searched through
the logs, however, no obvious errors or warnings found.

Jim


> Or from gui you can use the system logs viewer in Applications -> System
> Tools -> System log
>
> 2008/12/13 Jim Duda <jim@duda.tzo.com
> <mailto:jim@duda.tzo.com>>
>
> I have a very weird problem.
>
> Compaq Presario F500. Only about a year old.
>
> Recently (past few weeks), whenever I boot up, the following
> keys are non responsive; asdfjkl; and the enter key.
>
> If I wait a few minutes, like 3 or 4 minutes, they start
> working. If I restart a couple of times, they start
> working too, however, I think this is the same 3-4
> minute delay.
>
> It would appear to be a hardware problem (bad keyboard),
> however, once the keys start working, I never have another
> problem, until the next reboot.
>
> Could there be some software issue here?
>
> I really like the laptop, works well, I really don't
> want to take it apart unless I have to.
>
> Jim
>
> _______________________________________________
> Fedora-laptop-list mailing list
> Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com
> <mailto:Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com>
> http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list
>
>
>
>
> --
> --
> Miguel Ángel Pérez
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Fedora-laptop-list mailing list
> Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com
> http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list

_______________________________________________
Fedora-laptop-list mailing list
Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list
 
Old 12-14-2008, 02:27 AM
Jim Duda
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

I have a very weird problem.

Running FC9, Compaq Presario F500. Only about a year old.

Recently (past few weeks), whenever I boot up, the following
keys are non responsive; asdfjkl; and the enter key.

If I wait a few minutes, like 3 or 4 minutes, they start
working. If I restart a couple of times, they start
working too, however, I think this is the same 3-4
minute delay.

It would appear to be a hardware problem (bad keyboard),
however, once the keys start working, I never have another
problem, until the next reboot.

Could there be some software issue here?

I really like the laptop, works well, I really don't
want to take it apart unless I have to.

Jim

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 12-14-2008, 03:05 AM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

On Saturday 13 December 2008, Jim Duda wrote:
>I have a very weird problem.
>
>Running FC9, Compaq Presario F500. Only about a year old.
>
>Recently (past few weeks), whenever I boot up, the following
>keys are non responsive; asdfjkl; and the enter key.
>
>If I wait a few minutes, like 3 or 4 minutes, they start
>working. If I restart a couple of times, they start
>working too, however, I think this is the same 3-4
>minute delay.
>
>It would appear to be a hardware problem (bad keyboard),
>however, once the keys start working, I never have another
>problem, until the next reboot.
>
>Could there be some software issue here?
>
>I really like the laptop, works well, I really don't
>want to take it apart unless I have to.
>
>Jim

I suspect the keyboard has been contaminated, possibly by a soft drink?

I won't be responsible, but I've heard, and did it just once 15 years ago,
that the top rack in the dishwasher is safe. Use only a teensy amount of a
liquid detergent, something that can be completely removed by the rinsing the
dishwasher does. Common dishwasher powders are very brutal, but a few drops
of Palmolive or Joy have been reported to work. I'd remove it before the dry
cycle gets too hot, and let it dry in air a couple of days before putting it
back in the lappy.


--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You will be singled out for promotion in your work.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 12-14-2008, 04:00 AM
g
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Gene Heskett wrote:

> I suspect the keyboard has been contaminated, possibly by a soft drink
>
> I won't be responsible, but I've heard, and did it just once 15 years ago,
> that the top rack in the dishwasher is safe.

i would first try checking connectors and cables before attempting to clean.
ie, remove and reinsert all connectors.

keyboard keys are in an x - y map. being that all keys not working are in
same row, this would tend to indicate that problem is common to this one row.

being that there is a time passage, this tends to indicate that there is
something no making contact when cold and makes after heat up and expansion.

look closely to see if there may be a bad solder connection that traces from
'a -> enter' keys on keyboard circuit board. trace connection thru to main
board and follow trace to matrix ic.

hth.


peace out.

tc,hago.

g
.

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFJRJLn+C4Bj9Rkw/wRAlusAKDP2EoicnbJaILI4PUB15qxzfzlowCgstVe
iXppiIvj2U9xyh3lT0PBWsY=
=tYPo
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 12-14-2008, 04:09 AM
Steve Berg
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

g wrote:

keyboard keys are in an x - y map. being that all keys not working are in
same row, this would tend to indicate that problem is common to this one row.

That makes sense but only if the Caps Lock, G, H, ', and Enter keys also
exhibit the same behavior. Maybe those keys just aren't being noticed
as flakey, but I'm betting the Enter key would be more obvious than any
of the other keys in that row.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 12-14-2008, 04:21 AM
g
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Steve Berg wrote:

> That makes sense but only if the Caps Lock, G, H, ', and Enter keys also

i would tend to believe that from op stating 'home base' keys and commonly
used <enter>, that he has problems with entire row. even with out him stating
such was case.


peace out.

tc,hago.

g
.

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFJRJfi+C4Bj9Rkw/wRAjpNAKDKZn2sWIeZZKLhSLIQh9NlMNd/bACZARKT
YGRay4kIo986L0aAu+pNiMA=
=Xqlr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 12-14-2008, 01:58 PM
"Miguel Angel Perez"
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

You can also attach them in your next reply so people in this list can also take a look at it.

I've googled a bit and in the past your laptop model have been not working properly for a lot of people, especially ubuntu users. Maybe there is still some issues to polish related to keyboard mapping, acpi support or whatever, so finding and reporting would be great.


2008/12/14 Jim Duda <jim@duda.tzo.com>

Miguel Angel Perez wrote:

> Hi Jim.

>

> You can search into system logs and look for keyboard-related messages,

> that will provide some hints of errors that could be happening.

>

> You can try from console:

> dmesg | less

> cat /var/log/messages | less

>



Thanks for the reply Miguel, and good idea. *I searched through

the logs, however, no obvious errors or warnings found.



Jim





> Or from gui you can use the system logs viewer in Applications -> System

> Tools -> System log

>

> 2008/12/13 Jim Duda <jim@duda.tzo.com

> <mailto:jim@duda.tzo.com>>

>

> * * I have a very weird problem.

>

> * * Compaq Presario F500. *Only about a year old.

>

> * * Recently (past few weeks), whenever I boot up, the following

> * * keys are non responsive; asdfjkl; and the enter key.

>

> * * If I wait a few minutes, like 3 or 4 minutes, they start

> * * working. *If I restart a couple of times, they start

> * * working too, however, I think this is the same 3-4

> * * minute delay.

>

> * * It would appear to be a hardware problem (bad keyboard),

> * * however, once the keys start working, I never have another

> * * problem, until the next reboot.

>

> * * Could there be some software issue here?

>

> * * I really like the laptop, works well, I really don't

> * * want to take it apart unless I have to.

>

> * * Jim

>

> * * _______________________________________________

> * * Fedora-laptop-list mailing list

> * * Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com

> * * <mailto:Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com>

> * * http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list

>

>

>

>

> --

> --

> Miguel Ángel Pérez

>

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> _______________________________________________

> Fedora-laptop-list mailing list

> Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com

> http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list



_______________________________________________

Fedora-laptop-list mailing list

Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com

http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list


--
Regards,
Miguel Ángel Pérez

_______________________________________________
Fedora-laptop-list mailing list
Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-laptop-list
 
Old 12-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Jim Duda
 
Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

I certainly can understand that a HW flaw may be involved here.
What I can explain is the following:

If I simply wait a few minutes, or reboot, the keyboard works
fine. Once the keys start working, they never fail. I would
like to assume that if there was a flaky connection or HW issue,
it would happen at other times too and not just on the first boot.

Jim

g wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Steve Berg wrote:


That makes sense but only if the Caps Lock, G, H, ', and Enter keys also


i would tend to believe that from op stating 'home base' keys and commonly
used <enter>, that he has problems with entire row. even with out him stating
such was case.


peace out.

tc,hago.

g
.

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFJRJfi+C4Bj9Rkw/wRAjpNAKDKZn2sWIeZZKLhSLIQh9NlMNd/bACZARKT
YGRay4kIo986L0aAu+pNiMA=
=Xqlr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org