Old 12-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Gene Heskett

Default Laptop Keyboard asdf, jkl;, enter disabled on boot up

On Monday 15 December 2008, Tim wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 00:56 +0000, g wrote:
>> keep in mind, both of these test could fail, but they did work years
>> ago when i did radio and tv services.
>
> ^^^^
>
>You must have had a big fridge... ;-)
>
>I've got a thermal repair to take care of sometime soon, if I can take
>the equipment out of service long enough to work on, and I'm not looking
>forward to it. It's big, heavy, awkward, and the boards concerned are
>in difficult spots. And definitely too big to put in the fridge!

We didn't need a big fridge, we used a can of F-22 with a wd-40 spray tube on
it, just freeze the suspect part. Then they discovered the ozone hole. I
presume, I haven't bought any in ages, that the techs are using some LPG
formula for that now. Obviously with flammable warnings on it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
"R. G. Newbury"

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 00:56 +0000, g wrote:
> > keep in mind, both of these test could fail, but they did work years
> > ago when i did radio and tv services.
^^^^

>You must have had a big fridge... ;-)

>I've got a thermal repair to take care of sometime soon, if I can take
>the equipment out of service long enough to work on, and I'm not
>looking forward to it. It's big, heavy, awkward, and the boards
>concerned are in difficult spots. And definitely too big to put in
the >fridge!

You can 'cold-spot' a motherboard etc. with compressed air, etc. A
compressed air 'cleaner bomb' will do. You might get enough effect just
by using a hose connected to the back end of a vacumn cleaner, blowing
on the suspect area.

Of course, any expanding gas will draw heat from the surroundings. So
you could use a CO2 fire extinguisher or even a butane refill for a
lighter if you want to live *really* dangerously*. (Of course, the
Goreacle would have you believe that you are doing more damage to the
planet using the fire extinguisher than by releasing a more complex
heavier more carbon carrying gas...but that's a different rant!

I presume that you have disconnected, cleaned and re-connected the
keyboard cable connector on this laptop?

Geoff

Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 PM

Tim wrote:

> You must have had a big fridge... ;-)

not really.

when we had to run a 'cold test', we used a 9" crt used for testing and set
chassis on edge.

as gene states, f-22 used to be good, but epa put an end to that. there are
new 'freeze' sprays available now that are epa approved and good for 'spot'
checks.

another good trick, back in 50's, [an old house, before new building] was
that we had window ac units that we set set chassis inside a large cardboard
box and pointed louvers into it.

later, in new building, we had a louver added to front of expansion chamber
and built a shelf to hold chassis in cardboard box.

fortunately, we did not have to use this often, but when needed, it worked.

> I've got a thermal repair to take care of sometime soon, if I can take
> the equipment out of service long enough to work on, and I'm not looking
> forward to it. It's big, heavy, awkward, and the boards concerned are
> in difficult spots. And definitely too big to put in the fridge!

not knowing configuration, you could use cardboard shroud cut and taped
to shape to cover area of concern. using any of new freeze sprays of r-32
[or what ever it is now] could be injected to make test.

also, there are portable cooling units that have flex duct that could be used.

even using some flex duct and taping it up to a room vent could direct cool
air as you need it.

later.

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 PM

Old 12-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Lalit Dhiri

It might be worth checking you are using the latest BIOS version. There may have been keyboard mapping or fan related changes in a BIOS update.

For test purposes what happens if you boot up Fedora 10 from a CD or USB stick? Are any other devices connected when you have the problem?

--*
Lalit Dhiri
Linux the root to no GPFs