Old 11-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Fastie

Default Laptop support in F10

Hi
So I have been running F10 from the 4 Nov and last night I did the last updates for F10, witch I think is now the F10 release.
And over the few weeks I have notice that Laptop support is coming and going.
From my view I have to say that we lost all the worked that has been done on the laptop-support in F9 in this release.

I have raised this before and it sort of came back but now it is all gone again.
My laptop is not even going in suspend mode when I close the lid. No laptop buttons is working, and they where all working in F9 with not doing anything. This is very disappointing for me that use my laptop for business. It feels like I am back in the 90's where I need to boot up and shut down every time I move between offices.

Has Laptop support been kicked out in favour for something ells?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 PM
"Joe Desbonnet"

Oddly, I found that in the 90's laptops worked perfectly with Linux
(the Gateway Solo I had did anyway). It's been a steady road down
hill since then.

A HP laptop I purchased in 2001 could not use the full LCD area in X
Window... until Fedora 9 (2008!)...
(X Window driver issue relating to lack of doc by graphics hardware
vendor I believe).

I guess the APM power management was simpler back then. Now it's a
hodgepoge of half broken implementations of ACPI. Windows is ok
because the hardware vendor works very very hard to ensure Windows
compatibilty. So it's not Linux/Fedora developer's fault -- but I do
wish there was more effort put into finding a solution. BTW: this is
something I would pay for... eg $40 per release if anyone is thinking
of providing a solution pack for a given make/model laptop to make it
function perfectly with a given distro of Linux.

Joe.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 AM
"Camilo Mesias"

> wish there was more effort put into finding a solution. BTW: this is
> something I would pay for... eg $40 per release if anyone is thinking
> of providing a solution pack for a given make/model laptop to make it
> function perfectly with a given distro of Linux.

Have you put $40 worth of effort into providing high quality bug
reports, testing fixes, diagnosing etc.?

-Cam

Old 11-27-2008, 12:11 PM
"Ahmed Kamal"

Laptop support has been improving steadly. My HP DV6700 very new laptop, is working amazing, every single feature works, even sus2ram & disk, and multimedia keys, bluetooth ... etc everything.
You might just be unlucky, and it really helps to review some websites first to check whether that particular model has problems with Linux