Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
"Gopal Ghosh"

Default use of cp command with wild card

dear all,
how to search for a group of files using wildcard and copy the result content and redirecting it to a dir
thanks
regards

Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Roger Millington

man find
man cp

Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Kae Verens

Roger Millington wrote:

man find
man cp

or "rtfm" in otherwords - not nice, Roger...

Gopal Ghosh wrote:

dear all,
how to search for a group of files using wildcard and copy the result
content and redirecting it to a dir

you do not always need to use 'find'. You can use cp with globbing
(search for "file globbing")

for instance:
"cp *test.txt ../test" will copy newtest.txt and oldtest.txt to ../test
"cp test[0-9].txt ../test" will copy test0.txt and test1.txt to ../test
but will not copy testA.txt

kae

Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Roger Millington

Kae Verens wrote:
> Roger Millington wrote:
>> man find
>> man cp
>>

> or "rtfm" in otherwords - not nice, Roger...

I did not use "rtfm" because the questions being asked by Bopal seemed
to me to indicate that he does not know that a manual exists.

You can keep summarising the man pages for Bopal if you like but it
would seem more valuable to show him how to get more complete answers by
using 'man'. Your call.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Kae Verens

Roger Millington wrote:

or "rtfm" in otherwords - not nice, Roger...

I did not use "rtfm" because the questions being asked by Bopal seemed
to me to indicate that he does not know that a manual exists.

You can keep summarising the man pages for Bopal if you like but it
would seem more valuable to show him how to get more complete answers by
using 'man'. Your call.

fair enough.

I made the assumption (and I admit it was an assumption) that Gopal had
read the man pages and just needed further examples or for a paraphrased
explanation.

I apologise for the over-reaction.

kae