Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM
"Gopal Ghosh"

Default chmod command

Dear all,
how to use chmod command (in octal mode) for n number of files present in a directory
Thanks
regards

Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Roger Millington

man chmod

Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Kae Verens

Roger Millington wrote:

man chmod

that's a bit harsh, Roger! It's possible that maybe Gopal does not
understand the man pages.

example:
chmod 750 filename1 filename2
first digit is user
second digit is group
third digit is everyone (world)
7 = allow file owner to read, write, execute
5 = allow members of file's group to read and execute
0 = do not let anyone else use the file

the numbers are calculated by adding these up
4 = allowed to read
2 = allowed to write
1 = allowed to execute.
so 750 = (4+2+1)(4+1)(0)

kae

Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Roger Millington

Kae Verens wrote:
> Roger Millington wrote:
>> man chmod
>>

> that's a bit harsh, Roger! It's possible that maybe Gopal does not
> understand the man pages.

There is no indication that Gopal has read the 'man' pages or even
understands that they exist. I would expect that my response(s) will
invite Gopal's curiosity and that he will investigate this mysterious
'man' command.

The alternative is for someone to spend 20 minutes making precis of the
relevant 'man' pages and posting them.

Roger

> example:
> chmod 750 filename1 filename2
> first digit is user
> second digit is group
> third digit is everyone (world)
> 7 = allow file owner to read, write, execute
> 5 = allow members of file's group to read and execute
> 0 = do not let anyone else use the file
>
> the numbers are calculated by adding these up
> 4 = allowed to read
> 2 = allowed to write
> 1 = allowed to execute.
> so 750 = (4+2+1)(4+1)(0)
>
> kae
>
>> Gopal Ghosh wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> how to use chmod command (in octal mode) for n number of files
>>> present in a
>>> directory
>>> Thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 06:43 AM
"Gopal Ghosh"

Dear Kae and Roger,

Thank u so much 4 ur help and support … J

Today I want to share some words with all those fellow Linux devotees…….

But, first let me introduce my self …..

My name is gopal ghosh and I live in new Delhi….

my parent wanted me to become a *Railway
Ticket Checker at old Delhi railway station… but

I want to become a computer wizard.. as pictures of computer systems influenced
me so much as a kid… that

Some times in my dreams even I designed few cool mouse and trackball designs.

*and to fulfill my dreams I joined a local computer institute, but after 2 months
they throw me out as my questions irritate them

in my view they are unable to satisfy my appetite to learn more…..

still today I feel the same appetite which drives me to learn new things

After this incident I strongly believe in self learning….. *

now I am providing support for more than 1400 products from 32 principal brands
(www.adityagroup.com)

my reason for learning Linux is I want to provide tech support for Autodesk
smoke which runs on RHEL

so to learn Linux I am here on this fedora mailing list…….

I know what kind of information is mentioned in man pages to learn a command FIRST
I start with books with few switches and arguments

THEN I go to man pages to test some more switches and arguments , some times I
find it easy to ride through the man pages, but

sometimes I don't.

Each time I learn a new thing I found myself deeply in love with Linux THANKS
to Linux god who created such a nice thing which can perform so many task in
one command…

all that I mentioned here to emphasis the importance of a fair discussion with
out any altercation.

sometimes what I know is accurate for me and wrong for others but that doesn't
mean I fight with them to prove I am right.

i discuss the topic to update myself.*

I appreciate ur efforts to help people like me and I also request u not to
involve in any kind of altercation.

*here I am submitting my information for CP , CHMOD and command redirection

command output redirection to file

STDIN – 0

STDOUT – 1

STDERR – 2

> redirect STDOUT to file

>> append STDOUT to pre existing file

2> redirect STDERR to file

2>> append STDERR to existing file

command
< file *send file as input

/dev/null is black hole for
data as all inputs are ignored

*PIPES

*comman1 | command2

STDOUT > STDIN

(
)* combines STDOUT of multiple programs
such as

(cal2007 ; cal2008) |
less

&2>&1
redirects STDERR to STDIN

cat filename.txt

Hello, World!

cat < filename.txtx

Hello, World

ls > list.of.files – redirect
command output to this file

*

ls >> list.of.files - append
output at the end of file

command output redirection to another command

*

ls | more

*

ls | sort

cp
command

cp
is a file & directory copy command

cp file1 file2 dir

for /gopal.nano

cp /gopal.nano gopal2.nano /home

cp file1 file2 file3 file4 dir

cp -a copies files and directories recurisvly

cp -p copies content along with permission and time stamp

cp -i interactive mode

cp -f force

cp –api

chmod command

change mode command

octal:******************** 0************************ ***** 6************************ ***** 4************************ ***** 0

binary: 000*********************** * 111*********************** * 111*********************** * 111

symbolic:************ sst ************************ rwx*********************** rwx*********************** rwx

************************* ****** special***************** user********************** group******************* other

************************* ****** attributes

chmod o=r archive.sh

chmod g= topsecret.inf

chmod og=rw publicity.html

chmod ug=o

chmod
g=u info.dat

rwx r-x r-- info.sh

111 101 100

7** 5**
4

r-- ******* 100/4

rw-****** 110/6

rwx****** 111/7

-w-******* 010/2

-wx****** 011/3

--x******* 001/1

chmod 444 gopal.nano

chmod [OPTION]... MODE[,MODE]... FILE...

chmod [OPTION]...
OCTAL-MODE FILE...

chmod
[OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE...

And finally HOPE u people don't mind me for repeating my questions again

** how to search for a group of files using wildcard and copy the result

content and redirecting it to a dir

** how to use chmod command (in octal mode) for n number of files
present in a

directory
Thanks
Regards

> that's a bit harsh, Roger! It's possible that maybe Gopal does not

> understand the man pages.

There is no indication that Gopal has read the 'man' pages or even

understands that they exist. I would expect that my response(s) will

invite Gopal's curiosity and that he will investigate this mysterious

'man' command.

The alternative is for someone to spend 20 minutes making precis of the

relevant 'man' pages and posting them.

Roger

> example:

> chmod 750 filename1 filename2

> first digit is user

> second digit is group

> third digit is everyone (world)

> 7 = allow file owner to read, write, execute

> 5 = allow members of file's group to read and execute

> 0 = do not let anyone else use the file

> the numbers are calculated by adding these up

> 4 = allowed to read

> 2 = allowed to write

> 1 = allowed to execute.

> so 750 = (4+2+1)(4+1)(0)

> kae

>> Gopal Ghosh wrote:

>>> Dear all,

>>> how to use chmod command (in octal mode) for n number of files

>>> present in a

>>> directory

>>> Thanks

>>> regards

>>> Fedora-laptop-list@redhat.com

Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Frank Murphy

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 12:13 +0530, Gopal Ghosh wrote:
> Dear Kae and Roger,
>

> My name is gopal ghosh and I live in new Delhi….

Hi Gopal,

Welcome.
It may help you to know that there is a good fedora community in India.
If you may need ever to talk to someone closer geographically to you,
and in your local language, which can be very helpful.
There are some options available.
On irc freenode.net #fedora-india (channel)
Am open to correction.

Otherwise, if all else fails, ask away.

Frank

--