Old 08-15-2008, 06:53 PM
"Ahmed Kamal"

Default HP dv6700se

Hi everyone,
Any experiences with Linux HP dv6700se ? Seems to me like a really solid laptop, and good value, but linux-laptop.net does not mention it. I wanna be sure it's fedora compatible ?

What's the current state with nVidia cards under Linux ? Is it a matter of waiting for a few weeks till their driver catches up with the kernel, or is their drivers quality getting bad lately ? Should I deliberately avoid getting this laptop, coz it has a nVidia card ?

Thanks a lot

Old 08-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Kae Verens

Ahmed Kamal wrote:

Hi everyone,
Any experiences with Linux HP dv6700se ? Seems to me like a really solid
laptop, and good value, but linux-laptop.net <http://linux-laptop.net>
does not mention it. I wanna be sure it's fedora compatible ?

never heard of it.

What's the current state with nVidia cards under Linux ? Is it a matter
of waiting for a few weeks till their driver catches up with the kernel,
or is their drivers quality getting bad lately ? Should I deliberately
avoid getting this laptop, coz it has a nVidia card ?

my experience is that NVidia are not that bad.

I'm using a HP G6000, which has an NVidia GeForce 7000M. the free
drivers simply don't support it, so I had to use NVidia's drivers.

once Fedora9 stabilised a bit, NVidia's driver suddenly just worked
(there was a period where the ABI for the new XOrg was in flux, so
NVidia's driver was uncertain how to interface with the server).

If the card is the only questionable item, then I'd say go for it.

check the wifi as well, though - that can be another tricky item to get
working...

kae

Old 08-15-2008, 09:53 PM
"Ahmed Kamal"

Thanks, according to the specs page (below) wifi is Intel 4965 AGN, I trust I should not face any problems with that
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&ca tegory=notebooks&a1=Display+diagonal&v1=15.4&serie s_name=dv6700tse_series

Any experiences with Linux HP dv6700se ? Seems to me like a really solid laptop, and good value, but linux-laptop.net <http://linux-laptop.net> does not mention it. I wanna be sure it's fedora compatible ?

never heard of it.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Mustafa Mehmed

Hello Ahmed

You don't give us much information about the hardware on this laptop (ie.
CPU, network, etc), but I have (I think) a similar notebook.

Mine is an HP Pavilion dv6746tx which has an Intel core 2 duo CPU T5550 @
1.83 GHz,* 2GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 8400M GS video card, Intel Pro
wireless 3945ABG, Realtek RTL8101E PCI Express ethernet, Broadcom
bluetooth, R5C592 sd/sdio/mmc/ms/mspro host adapter, and TSSTcorp
lightscribe CDDVDW- TS-L632N burner.

Everything works well under Fedora 9 basically "straight out of the
box". The webcam, inbuilt microphones and "multifunction
keys"work as well. The only thing I have noticed with Fedora 9 is
that the total battery time does not appear to work (this may be a setup
problem on my side), although on Fedora 8 it worked without any
tweaks.

*If you are worried about the NVidia graphics, you can go one of two
ways :-

1. Either add the rpm.livna.org repo and wait for them to update the
drivers for your kernel, or

2. download the source code from NVidia and compile it yourself whenever
there is a kernel upgrade.(you will need to at least install the kernel
headers and a compiler for this to work)

Hope this helps.

Any experiences with Linux HP dv6700se ? Seems to me like a really solid
laptop, and good value, but
linux-laptop.net does not mention
it. I wanna be sure it's fedora compatible ?

What's the current state with nVidia cards under Linux ? Is it a matter
of waiting for a few weeks till their driver catches up with the kernel,
or is their drivers quality getting bad lately ? Should I deliberately
avoid getting this laptop, coz it has a nVidia card ?

Thanks a lot

Mustafa