Old 12-06-2007, 04:36 AM
"Sudipta Dey"

Default Fedora 8 hangs!!!

Hi,
*************** I have installed Fedora 8 x86_64 on my dual boot laptop (AMD Turion 64 X2
2.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128MB Nvidia 8400M GS)
My wireless card(BroadCom 4321AG) was not detected, so installed my windows driver using ndiswrapper.

After setting up wlan0 I tried to activate the interface thru "Network Configuration". The whole KDE GUI became unresponsive. I tried to get to console but couldn't, system hang!!!
Second time I tried running Kopete. When I tried quitting the application the KDS GUI hanged agian

Third time happened when I tried restarting Network service ....
Evetry time I was forced to do a hard reboot, screwing up my filesystem ...

It seems there are serious bugs in Fedora 8. This reminds me of windows "blue screen". Linux system shouldn't hang like this.

--

Thanks & Regards,
Sudipto

--

Thanks & Regards,
Sudipto

Old 12-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Adalbert Prokop

Sudipta Dey schrieb am Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2007:

> After setting up wlan0 I tried to activate the interface thru
> "Network Configuration". The whole KDE GUI became unresponsive. I
> tried to get to console but couldn't, system hang!!!

Just a guess: the NDIS wrapped windows driver froze your system. This can
happen. NDIS website provides recommendations about driver versions which
are known to work. YMMV.

You may also have a look at
http://www.familie-prokop.de/hp-pavilion-dv9375eu/index_en.html
Seems to be very simmilar system.

> Second time I tried running Kopete. When I tried quitting the
> application the KDS GUI hanged agian
> Third time happened when I tried restarting Network service ....
> Evetry time I was forced to do a hard reboot, screwing up my
> filesystem ...

Well, at least it's a consistent behaviour, isn't it?

> It seems there are serious bugs in Fedora 8. This reminds me of
> windows "blue screen". Linux system shouldn't hang like this.

You are right. It's a serious problem and a bug. But where is the bug? In
the Linux kernel, NDIS wrapper or the windows driver?
Unlike a windows OS, Linux provides you the means to investigate the
problem.

--
Bye
Adalbert

Travel important today; Internal Revenue men arrive tomorrow.