Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Fastie

Default Fedora 9 On Laptop battery

Hi

I have been working on Fedora since Core 6, and found that now I've moved i've had to start using my battery more on my laptop than I used to. So my battery just doesn't last. I* got myself a replacement thinking that my battery is dead but still had the same result.

I am running an HP NC6320 laptop with nothing extra (clean install). My brightness is on the lowest setting.
I went through my services and stopped all the ones I don't need and installed powertop and did what it told me to do, (but it is not permanent for one).

According to HP my battery should last about 4 hours, however I only get about 1.5 hours if I am lucky. I have to say when I was testing this on Windows I did not get 4 hours as HP say but got about 3 hours. So running Fedora cut my battery time in half.

One thing I did see on powertop is that my "Wakeups-from-idle per second" is running at "669.1*** interval: 10.0s", this looks high. How do you reduce this?
Is there anything else I can do to get more battery power out of it?

*
Thanks
Chris

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Tom

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 05:41:25 pm Fastie wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been working on Fedora since Core 6, and found that now I've moved
> i've had to start using my battery more on my laptop than I used to. So my
> battery just doesn't last. I got myself a replacement thinking that my
> battery is dead but still had the same result.
> I am running an HP NC6320 laptop with nothing extra (clean install). My
> brightness is on the lowest setting.
> I went through my services and stopped all the ones I don't need and
> installed powertop and did what it told me to do, (but it is not permanent
> for one).
> According to HP my battery should last about 4 hours, however I only get
> about 1.5 hours if I am lucky. I have to say when I was testing this on
> Windows I did not get 4 hours as HP say but got about 3 hours. So running
> Fedora cut my battery time in half.
> One thing I did see on powertop is that my "Wakeups-from-idle per second"
> is running at "669.1 interval: 10.0s", this looks high. How do you
> reduce this?
> Is there anything else I can do to get more battery power out of it?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

try, in /etc/rc.local

/sbin/hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda

Please don't top post anymore

--
Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas

Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Brian Morrison

The laptop mode tools are handy too, see http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/

--

Brian Morrison

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."