Old 11-20-2007, 02:18 AM
seth vidal

Default remote vnc-installs

Here's the steps I took to reinstall the serverbeach servers:

0. make sure the hosts ip is allowed to access the repos on
infrastructure. and make sure puppet allows the host to connect to its
fileserver - in the fileserver.conf file in cvs

1. login to existing system as root
2. run:
urlgrabber
http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/rhel/RHEL5-x86_64/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-install

urlgrabber
http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/rhel/RHEL5-x86_64/images/pxeboot/initrd.img /boot/initrd-install.img

3. run this command +/- ip address changes and path changes for the
kickstart config

grubby --add-kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-install
--args="ks=http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/hidden/sb1.ks lang=
devfs=nomount ksdevice=link selinux=0 ip=64.34.163.94
gateway=64.34.163.65 netmask=255.255.255.192
dns=64.34.160.92,64.34.160.76" --title="install el5"
--initrd=/boot/initrd-install.img

4. run 'grub' and type:
savedefault --default=0 --once
quit

5. reboot the system. Watch it via ping, when it starts pinging again
after the install run:

vncview hostip:1

type in the vnc password - in this case 'vncinstall'

That's it.

-sv

Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM
John Poelstra

Here's the steps I took to reinstall the serverbeach servers:

Thanks for posting stuff like this! I've been trying to do a setup like this on my home testing network for a while, but kept running into problems.

I really appreciate how the Infrastructure team publishes things like this on a regular basis!

John

Old 11-21-2007, 04:22 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:07 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> seth vidal said the following on 11/19/2007 07:18 PM Pacific Time:
> > Here's the steps I took to reinstall the serverbeach servers:
> >

> Thanks for posting stuff like this! I've been trying to do a setup like this on my home testing network for a while, but kept running into problems.
>
> I really appreciate how the Infrastructure team publishes things like this on a regular basis!

vnc kickstarts are nice b/c if you want to do any step manually it lets
you have that option and you get the extra power of the graphical
installer vs the somewhat hurky text-mode installer.

I just wish there was a way via vnc to see all of the vts during the
install.

-sv

Old 11-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:22:26 -0500
seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I just wish there was a way via vnc to see all of the vts during the
> install.

There is if you're doing a virt install and exporting the guest via
vnc, but not if you're just doing anaconda via vnc.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 11-21-2007, 04:34 PM
seth vidal

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:22:26 -0500
> seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > I just wish there was a way via vnc to see all of the vts during the
> > install.
>
> There is if you're doing a virt install and exporting the guest via
> vnc, but not if you're just doing anaconda via vnc.

right - for bare metal, not virt.

-sv

Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 PM
"Chris Weyl"

On Nov 19, 2007 7:18 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Here's the steps I took to reinstall the serverbeach servers:
>
> 0. make sure the hosts ip is allowed to access the repos on
> infrastructure. and make sure puppet allows the host to connect to its
> fileserver - in the fileserver.conf file in cvs
>
> 1. login to existing system as root
> 2. run:
> urlgrabber
> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/rhel/RHEL5-x86_64/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-install

I don't follow this list closely, but are we now using RHEL for Fedora
infrastructure? Weren't we using Fedora to run the Fedora
infrastructure (for obvious reasons)? Why the change?

-Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia

Old 11-21-2007, 07:21 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 12:12 -0800, Chris Weyl wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007 7:18 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Here's the steps I took to reinstall the serverbeach servers:
> >
> > 0. make sure the hosts ip is allowed to access the repos on
> > infrastructure. and make sure puppet allows the host to connect to its
> > fileserver - in the fileserver.conf file in cvs
> >
> > 1. login to existing system as root
> > 2. run:
> > urlgrabber
> > http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/rhel/RHEL5-x86_64/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-install
>
> I don't follow this list closely, but are we now using RHEL for Fedora
> infrastructure? Weren't we using Fedora to run the Fedora
> infrastructure (for obvious reasons)? Why the change?

we've been using a mix based on the service and service-life-time.

-sv

Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Chris Weyl wrote:

I don't follow this list closely, but are we now using RHEL for Fedora
infrastructure? Weren't we using Fedora to run the Fedora
infrastructure (for obvious reasons)? Why the change?

We've used a mixture of RHEL and Fedora for as long as I can remember.
In general RHEL fits our needs better because it gives us a longer
period before it goes EOL which means we don't have to reinstal the
servers once a year. When we have a need for a feature that isn't
present in RHEL we use Fedora for the service, usually with the idea
that we'll migrate the service to RHEL when RHEL rebases to a
sufficiently current Fedora.

-Toshio