Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Nigel Jones

Default Call For Testers - Elections Application

Hi everyone,

With Fedora 9 out the door we hit a very busy time for elections, the previous system was, well lets just say, not optimal.

So I accepted the goal of creating an application by our post-release election season that would integrate well with FAS and would allow a different method of voting, Range Voting.

If your not familiar with Range Voting check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_voting the essentials however is that you rank candidates from 0<-># of candidates, if you don't like them, just rank them 0.

In the future, the application will not only allow the Board and Steering Committees to hold elections, it will (hopefully) become available to SIGs and Steering Committees for any time of poll/call to vote.

This is where you all come in, it's impossible for a small group of people to find every possible mistake or bug in ANY item of software, so the more people we can get in to test it and report bugs/issues/thoughts the better!

All I ask is 10-20 minutes of your time, whenever your free over the couple of days to test and provide feedback.

Instructions:
1) You'll need an account on the test instance of FAS at http://publictest10.fedoraproject.org/accounts/ (PLEASE) do not use your normal password and you don't need to do CLA etc (I've removed that requirement in the elections app for now).
2) Please direct your browser to https://publictest10.fedoraproject.org/elections/ and test away!
3) Try voting etc, make sure that you *can* view the results at https://publictest10.fedoraproject.org/elections/results/fedora but can't view the results at https://publictest10.fedoraproject.org/elections/results/president

Notes:
* I'm aware the UI is absolutely awful, there is already a ticket open for this (https://fedorahosted.org/elections/ticket/4) please feel free to add items there.
* Any errors you encounter that are 'unexpected' to you, please file a ticket at https://fedorahosted.org/elections/newticket setting Milestone to 'Release 0.1.0' with full reproduction steps, and the time it occurred (TZ=UTC date)
* Any other feedback can be directed to the elections-devel list (elections-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org)

After 5am UTC on the 1st June both elections will end and the 'results' should be public and hopefully we'll have a decent election app!

Thanks a lot & Happy Testing,

Nigel Jones

p.s. Sorry to those that fall asleep during my e-mail - I nearly did too!
p.s.s. Thanks must be given to Toshio, Ricky, Luca and Mike who have all assisted in this release

Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 AM
"roopesh majeti"

I tried just now and following are my thoughts :
*
1) The first page is good. But a clear heading like "Vote for President " will be good rather than "Real President Nominee".
*
2) When the user wants to know the info about a Nominee, once he clicks the link "info", it is better to have a pop-up, rather than redirecting the whole page.
*
3) A non-uniformity is there in the Nominee's information. It is true that the control directs us to the user homepage. But for this President Nominee stuff, it is good to develope a generic page having information populated regarding that Nominee.

4) Why the site is re-directed to cnn.com/politics when the user request for more information on the President Ranking page ?
*
5) After confirming the Vote, the user is redirected to the initial home page. But the following appears at the bottom.
*************** "Build time: 0.115s, Page size: 2.23KB"
It is truely required to display to the end-user ?
*
6) When tried to view the results, by clicking "Community", iam facing this problem.
500 Internal error

*
Overall, it looks fine.*
*
-Roopesh
*

Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Nigel Jones

roopesh majeti wrote:

I tried just now and following are my thoughts :

1) The first page is good. But a clear heading like "Vote for
President " will be good rather than "Real President Nominee".
This depends on the election name in the DB, for real elections it'll be
something like "Fedora Board F-9 Election" (or similar).

2) When the user wants to know the info about a Nominee, once he
clicks the link "info", it is better to have a pop-up, rather than
redirecting the whole page.

3) A non-uniformity is there in the Nominee's information. It is true
that the control directs us to the user homepage. But for this
President Nominee stuff, it is good to develope a generic page having
information populated regarding that Nominee.

4) Why the site is re-directed to cnn.com/politics
<http://cnn.com/politics> when the user request for more information
on the President Ranking page ?
The CNN Politics bit was maybe a the worse part of the joke but I was
kinda refering to the US Primaries etc (i'll change this in a minute),
the info links for 'real' elections will goto the Wiki page(s) with the
candidate information, until someone higher up in the food chain says
they want it done a different way, I'm going to stick with this.

An early mock up on this concept looked absolutely disgusting from a UI POV

5) After confirming the Vote, the user is redirected to the initial
home page. But the following appears at the bottom.

"Build time: 0.115s, Page size: 2.23KB"
It is truely required to display to the end-user ?
That'll be disabled on the final implementation, just wanted it there so
I could go every now and then to make sure it was happy.

6) When tried to view the results, by clicking "Community", iam facing
this problem.

500 Internal error
I'll keep an eye on this, I can't see an immediate reason for the 500
error though.

Overall, it looks fine.

Thanks,

- Nigel

-Roopesh

<mailto:elections-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org>)

Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Aioanei Rares

Nigel Jones wrote:

[...]

Secure Connection Failed

publictest10.fedoraproject.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed.

(Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)

* This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it
could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the
error may be temporary, and you can try again later.

This is what i get....

Old 05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Mike McGrath

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Aioanei Rares wrote:

> [...]
> > (elections-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org)
> >
> > After 5am UTC on the 1st June both elections will end and the 'results'
> > should be public and hopefully we'll have a decent election app!
> >
> > Thanks a lot & Happy Testing,
> >
> > Nigel Jones
> >
> > p.s. Sorry to those that fall asleep during my e-mail - I nearly did too!
> > p.s.s. Thanks must be given to Toshio, Ricky, Luca and Mike who have all
> > assisted in this release

> Secure Connection Failed
>

> publictest10.fedoraproject.org uses an invalid security certificate.
>
> The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed.
>
> (Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)
>

> * This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be
> someone trying to impersonate the server.
>
> * If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error
> may be temporary, and you can try again later.

its a self signed cert. You'll have to configure our browser to accept
it.

-Mike

Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Alexandre Oliva

On May 29, 2008, Nigel Jones <dev@nigelj.com> wrote:

> So I accepted the goal of creating an application by our
> post-release election season that would integrate well with FAS and
> would allow a different method of voting, Range Voting.

Have you considered basing your work on CIVS?
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html

I've got a version stripped off of all the voting-by-e-mail aspects,
which you might be interested in. Search for 'civs' in my home page
(URL in the .sig).

FSFLA Board Member °Sť Libre! => http://www.fsfla.org/

Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Alexandre Oliva