Old 05-26-2008, 11:54 PM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

Default OpenID and CLA

Just doing some thinking ...

If we want to move our OpenID acceptance outside of Fedora's OpenID
server, we'll have a blocker with the CLA. AIUI, we need someone to
knowingly accept the CLA and have that tied to a Real Name and email
address in our database. Right?

However, OpenID could be a good way to get permissions to Talk: pages.
That is a great way to get feedback from drive-bys, the kind of people
who might take advantage of an OpenID to make a minor change on a
page.

Content in Talk: could be treated procedurally as we do bug reports.
Maybe we can have a WikiLicense type of thing (FedoraProject:Copyrights
link enough?) for that? Either way, Talk: could be a discussion area,
cf. mailing lists and bugzilla, that may produce content. If someone
gives specific wording and we want to use it, and now or later modify
it, redistribute it, etc., it needs to be under the CLA and site
license. This is comparable to receiving a patch via bugzilla where the
contributor should include licensing text.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41

Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Mike McGrath

On Mon, 26 May 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> Just doing some thinking ...
>
> If we want to move our OpenID acceptance outside of Fedora's OpenID
> server, we'll have a blocker with the CLA. AIUI, we need someone to
> knowingly accept the CLA and have that tied to a Real Name and email
> address in our database. Right?

Correct.

> However, OpenID could be a good way to get permissions to Talk: pages.
> That is a great way to get feedback from drive-bys, the kind of people
> who might take advantage of an OpenID to make a minor change on a
> page.

<nod> I looked briefly into this but haven't totally come to a solution
yet.

> Content in Talk: could be treated procedurally as we do bug reports.
> Maybe we can have a WikiLicense type of thing (FedoraProject:Copyrights
> link enough?) for that? Either way, Talk: could be a discussion area,
> cf. mailing lists and bugzilla, that may produce content. If someone
> gives specific wording and we want to use it, and now or later modify
> it, redistribute it, etc., it needs to be under the CLA and site
> license. This is comparable to receiving a patch via bugzilla where the
> contributor should include licensing text.

Yeah, this is both a question for legal and a question to see what is
technically feasible. OpenID is great, but once again the CLA continues
to be the biggest blocker to growing our contributor base.

-Mike