Old 05-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Dennis Gilmore

Default F10?

On Monday 19 May 2008, Mike McGrath wrote:
> So F9 is out the door and we had a very exciting last 6 months. Here's
> the short list:
>
> * FAS2
> * /mnt/koji migration and deployment
> * Backup system up and running
> * Collaboration servers brought up (gobby and asterisk POC)
> * UTC switch
>
> The focus for this last release was mostly around sanity. Cleaning up
> some configs, things like that. We actually did a very good job of that.
>
> All in all I feel it was a good release. So my question to the team, what
> would you all like to see over the next 6 months?

new ca infrastructure.

Dennis

Old 05-20-2008, 03:44 AM
Ricky Zhou

On 2008-05-19 10:27:52 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> All in all I feel it was a good release. So my question to the team, what
> would you all like to see over the next 6 months?
* New wiki :-)
* More/better documentation
* FAS improvements + Certificate Authority
* A more complete test environment?
* Asterisk coolness?

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 05-20-2008, 04:05 AM
Matt Domsch

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:50:49PM +1200, Nigel Jones wrote:
> * Better load balancing, I'm assuming
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Architecture is still
> technically correct, it'd be nice to have the proxy servers randomly
> choosing an App server, is this even possible?

Most services are using apache mod_balancer now, so requests first hit
a proxy server, then are load-balanced across each of the app servers
for each app.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 23:44 -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2008-05-19 10:27:52 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > All in all I feel it was a good release. So my question to the team, what
> > would you all like to see over the next 6 months?
> * New wiki :-)
> * More/better documentation
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is where Jef Spaleta's role-based SIG idea, and the Docs team's new
direction, might be helpful. If we can get one or more people from Docs
hooked up with this team to help, all the work can/should be done on the
wiki.

Mike and I have talked in the past about the fact that Fedora has a
world-class infrastructure and the team to support it. If we can get
the details down on "paper," we add substantially to the proposition
that Fedora is much more than just a distro. We can have a blueprint
for any similar project, or open-source business startup, or anyone who
wants to bootstrap their own community, to go from zero to sixty in
terms of supporting that community with the tools they need for
communication, coding, and presence. Certainly that could take more
than six months, but it's a great time to get that off the ground.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Luke Macken

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:27:52PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> So F9 is out the door and we had a very exciting last 6 months. Here's
> the short list:
>
> * FAS2
> * /mnt/koji migration and deployment
> * Backup system up and running
> * Collaboration servers brought up (gobby and asterisk POC)
> * UTC switch
>
> The focus for this last release was mostly around sanity. Cleaning up
> some configs, things like that. We actually did a very good job of that.
>
> All in all I feel it was a good release. So my question to the team, what
> would you all like to see over the next 6 months?

Here are some things I'd like to get done:

- Signing server (sigul)
- Solidify our SELinux deployment. I'm sitting down with Dan Walsh this
week to churn through our logs and fix as much stuff as possible.
Brett Lentz (Wakko666) has also been doing a great job of writing test
cases and pushing some crucial puppet SELinux changes upstream.
- Get our logging situation under control.
- Get bodhi into the app cluster, and give it the ability to kick off
mashes on our releng boxes.

luke

Old 05-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Things I'd like but probably can't work on myself:
* GeoIP/DNS based proxying. I'm in Europe and request
admin.fedoraproject.org I get the European app server. I'm in the US I
get PHX or tummy.
- This might make it possible for us to have app servers around the
world. We'd still have latency from database calls having to get
replies from PHX but for calls between apps all requests would stay in
the same colo.

Things I'll have a hand in:
* New python-fedora API with exception-like error handling client-side
and more standardization server-side.

- Porting all our web apps to the new architecture.
* Optimize db calls within TG applications to make them as snappy as
possible. I can do this for SQLAlchemy but SQLObject isn't flexible
enough. Any page which is for viewing data and is returning multiple
records is potentially a good candidate.
* OpenID auth provider for our TG apps (if it's faster/better than our
current jsonfas provider). We don't gain any features from an OpenID
provider unless we want to allow other OpenID servers to authenticate
our users.
* pkgdb: I'm going to concentrate on refactoring existing pkgdb code.
I'm hoping mapleoin will keep up the good work he's been doing adding
new features.

* New koji db server.
* Moving TG apps from supervisor to mod_wsgi

-Toshio

Old 05-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Luke Macken

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 09:15:28AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Things I'd like but probably can't work on myself:
[...]
> * Optimize db calls within TG applications to make them as snappy as
> possible. I can do this for SQLAlchemy but SQLObject isn't flexible
> enough. Any page which is for viewing data and is returning multiple
> records is potentially a good candidate.

Speaking of stuff I'd love to see happen, but don't have the time for
- Port bodhi to SQLAlchemy

luke

Old 05-20-2008, 06:18 PM
"Yaakov Nemoy"

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Luke Macken <lmacken@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 09:15:28AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Things I'd like but probably can't work on myself:
> [...]
>> * Optimize db calls within TG applications to make them as snappy as
>> possible. I can do this for SQLAlchemy but SQLObject isn't flexible
>> enough. Any page which is for viewing data and is returning multiple
>> records is potentially a good candidate.
>
> Speaking of stuff I'd love to see happen, but don't have the time for
> - Port bodhi to SQLAlchemy

Depends on how complicated your stuff is already. If it's mostly just
a bunch of tables, and the oddball query, I can probably do it in
about a day. If it's alot of complicated composite tables with
composite keys, custom data types, custom rules, and massive
dependencies, then it could take 2-3 days.

Let me know when you need help.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Luke Macken

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 02:18:53PM -0400, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Luke Macken <lmacken@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 09:15:28AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >> Things I'd like but probably can't work on myself:
> > [...]
> >> * Optimize db calls within TG applications to make them as snappy as
> >> possible. I can do this for SQLAlchemy but SQLObject isn't flexible
> >> enough. Any page which is for viewing data and is returning multiple
> >> records is potentially a good candidate.
> >
> > Speaking of stuff I'd love to see happen, but don't have the time for
> > - Port bodhi to SQLAlchemy
>
> Depends on how complicated your stuff is already. If it's mostly just
> a bunch of tables, and the oddball query, I can probably do it in
> about a day. If it's alot of complicated composite tables with
> composite keys, custom data types, custom rules, and massive
> dependencies, then it could take 2-3 days.
>
> Let me know when you need help.

Cool. Give me a week or so to finish up some major bodhi changes that I
have underway, and the releng2 migration. I've created a ticket so we
can track this task, and I'll let you know when it's safe to dive in.

https://fedorahosted.org/bodhi/ticket/202

Thanks!

luke

Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Nigel Jones

Mike McGrath wrote:

So F9 is out the door and we had a very exciting last 6 months. Here's
the short list:

* FAS2
* /mnt/koji migration and deployment
* Backup system up and running
* Collaboration servers brought up (gobby and asterisk POC)
* UTC switch

The focus for this last release was mostly around sanity. Cleaning up
some configs, things like that. We actually did a very good job of that.

All in all I feel it was a good release. So my question to the team, what
would you all like to see over the next 6 months?

I agree, the release went smoothly, compared to what I remember a year
back when I was helping out.

Some of the 'would be nice' items I guess are:

* Logical separation of apps/services
- i.e. app2's load really spikes when msgmerge runs (I'm assuming this
is l10n stuff, why should this have to run on the same server that runs
the wiki etc, if possible it'd be nice to have a similar setup like
rel-eng has)
* Better load balancing, I'm assuming
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Architecture is still
technically correct, it'd be nice to have the proxy servers randomly
choosing an App server, is this even possible?
* Something that Debian has as a service to packagers is machines of
various architectures that can be used for debugging/solving build
problems, koji scratch builds solve part of the problem, but access to
the chroot or something like that would be even better, I know people
offer this sort of setup on a 'by request' basis, but if we retiring
builders etc in the future, instead of sending them to the graveyard,
this is an option.

And of course some of the upcoming stuff:
* Mediawiki
* New DB Server for Koji
* Network storage for tarball uploads
* Elections App (expect a call for testers soon)

- Nigel