-   -   New (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-infrastructure/71072-new.html)

"Seth Dawson" 04-17-2008 12:39 AM

New

Hey, I'm new to the Fedora Project, I'm teaching myself Python and C++, I have experience with VB. Just wanted to say Hello and see if there was a good place for me to start contributing.

Seth

Mike McGrath 04-17-2008 12:49 AM

New

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Seth Dawson wrote:

> Hey, I'm new to the Fedora Project, I'm teaching myself Python and C++, I
> have experience with VB. Just wanted to say Hello and see if there was a
> good place for me to start contributing.

Welcome! As a coder you might do well to join the BugZappers group:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers

But lots of Fedora teams need programmers so I'm sure you'll find a home
soon.

-Mike

Marvin Escobar 05-31-2010 11:57 PM

New

Hello im new to ubuntu and i tried to install ubuntu to my laptop but it would not let me. Once it reads the disc it says loading and then a bunch of lines come down and it stops there and does not do anything. I tried also installing mandriva but on the loading screen when i select boot the screen stays loading and never stops, the only option it has is pres esc for verbose mode. So its like none of the linux distrubutions are working. Is there anyway you can please help me. Im new and i am using windows 7 right now, so please try to be as detailed as possible thanks

NoOp 06-01-2010 01:26 AM

New

On 05/31/2010 04:57 PM, Marvin Escobar wrote:

> Hello im new to ubuntu and i tried to install ubuntu to my laptop but
> it would not let me. Once it reads the disc it says loading and then
> a bunch of lines come down and it stops there and does not do
> anything. I tried also installing mandriva but on the loading screen
> when i select boot the screen stays loading and never stops, the only
> option it has is pres esc for verbose mode. So its like none of the
> linux distrubutions are working. Is there anyway you can please help
> me. Im new and i am using windows 7 right now, so please try to be as
> detailed as possible thanks

Please review:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CdDvd/Burning

If you're still having issues, please post back. Note: there is a lot of
information in those links that I've provided, so don't hesitate to ask
if they are too confusing.

Marvin Escobar 06-01-2010 01:40 AM

New

Yea i understand it. I have installed ubuntu many times to computers and i know i burned the cd right, because i installed it on my desktop today but for some reason it wont install to my laptop it just stops or freezes. Ive never used ubuntu but i have installed it.

Nils Kassube 06-01-2010 05:08 AM

New

Marvin Escobar wrote:
> Hello im new to ubuntu and i tried to install ubuntu to my laptop but
> it would not let me. Once it reads the disc it says loading and then
> a bunch of lines come down and it stops there and does not do
> anything.

I'm not sure how far you get and not even how you try to install. There
are several disks (desktop / alternate / mini CD), but I assume you try
the desktop LiveCD. Further I assume you get the boot screen where you
select the language. After selecting the language but before you hit
enter at the option "Try Ubuntu without installing", you could add some
kernel options [1]. Hit the F6 key and enable "acpi=off" and "noapic".
Then start Ubuntu and if you still only get many messages and it doesn't
get to the graphical screen, tell us what the last messages are on the
screen. If you are too lazy writing down all of it, you could take a
photo and upload it to something like <http://picpaste.com/> and then
post a link to it here.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootParameters>

Marvin Escobar 06-01-2010 05:43 AM

New

I went to the ubuntu website and got the iso image for ubuntu studio for one cd and ubuntu 10.04 for the other. I burn the image to the disc like always. they work fine on other computers but not my laptop. I dont even get to the installation screen where i click language and try without installing, it freezes before that part, and before the ubuntu loading part where it takes you to that screen.

"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)" 06-01-2010 11:50 AM

New

On Tue, June 1, 2010 07:43, Marvin Escobar wrote:

> I went to the ubuntu website and got the iso image for ubuntu studio for
> one cd and ubuntu 10.04 for the other. I burn the image to the disc like
> always. they work fine on other computers but not my laptop. I dont even
> get to the installation screen where i click language and try without
> installing, it freezes before that part, and before the ubuntu loading
> part where it takes you to that screen.

Marvin,

I have two questions for you:
1. Why didn't you do what Nils suggested?
2. Why do you write your answers at the top, not below the questions?

By the way, when Nils says that you are lazy, I don't think that het
litterally means that. In fact, perhaps it is even better to make a
(high-res) photo. That way you don't make writing mistakes.
But if you have text, and it's a lot, don't put it on the list either. Put
it on http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/ and post a link to it here.

Kind regards,
Amedee

Karl Larsen 06-01-2010 12:16 PM

New

im new to ubuntu and i tried to install ubuntu to my laptop but it
would not let me. Once it reads the disc it says loading and then a
bunch of lines come down and it stops there and does not do anything. I
tried also installing mandriva but on the loading screen when i select
boot the screen stays loading and never stops, the only option it has
is pres esc for verbose mode. So its like none of the linux
distrubutions are working. Is there anyway you can please help me. Im
new and i am using windows 7 right now, so please try to be as detailed
as possible thanks

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more
from your inbox. See how.
*** *** The 10.04 LiveCD for Ubuntu does have a serious bug. It does
take quite a while to load and when it does it displays a blank screen.
Sometimes it helps to press Esc and then you select your language.

*** Then you see a list of things. First select test my CD. If it
passes reboot and select install.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Chan Chung Hang Christopher 06-01-2010 01:56 PM

New

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> On Tue, June 1, 2010 07:43, Marvin Escobar wrote:
>> I went to the ubuntu website and got the iso image for ubuntu studio for
>> one cd and ubuntu 10.04 for the other. I burn the image to the disc like
>> always. they work fine on other computers but not my laptop. I dont even
>> get to the installation screen where i click language and try without
>> installing, it freezes before that part, and before the ubuntu loading
>> part where it takes you to that screen.
>
> Marvin,
>
> I have two questions for you:
> 1. Why didn't you do what Nils suggested?

Assumption. Maybe Marvin did do what Nils suggested.

I think it's http://pastebin.ubuntu.com