-   -   Introduction Fedocal (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-infrastructure/704790-introduction-fedocal.html)

Pierre-Yves Chibon 09-17-2012 05:27 PM

Introduction Fedocal

Hi all,

Kevin asked me to present Fedocal a little bit.

Fedocal is a web-application aiming at providing a central place for
Fedora calendar related data.
My first thoughts while doing this was the #fedora-meeting{,-1,-2} IRC
channels, but I do think it could work as well for any other calendar
related information (releases?, infra?).

== What does it do?
* Admin can create calendar(s)
* Calendar are managed by a FAS group
* People within this FAS group can create meetings on this calendar
* While creating meeting, the creator can specify co-managers for the
meeting.
* Only the manager(s) can edit and delete meetings (and only in the
future)

* Meetings have a date, starting and stopping time and a free text field
which can contain any information (agenda, introduction...).
* Meetings can be recursive until the end of time == 2121-12-31*, or
until a specified time and their frequency can be every 7 or 14 days.
* Meetings can have a reminder.
* Reminder are sent 12h, 24h, 48h or 168h (7days) before the meetings[2]
* Reminders can be sent to several email address (comma separated)[2]

* Meetings can be deleted/edited either a single meeting, or all the
future meetings of a recursive meeting.

* The calendars have a weekly view which can be browsed
* The calendars can also be pointed to a single date, it will then
return the view of the week
ie: /#fedora-meeting2/2012/9/25 will return the week view of the 25h of
September, same for /#fedora-meeting2/2012/9/28

== Future plans?

* The first is for sure, see if this application can be useful
* Finish up what needs to be
* Take into account the timezone returned by the FAS for the user to
display the calendar. Maybe having two columns one with UTC one with the
local time.
* Provide a iCal/Caldav output so that we can couple it to a calendar
client [3]
* See with Mizmo to give Fedocal a nicer look :)
* Testing!

Fedocal is still work in progress but there is already some things
nicely working. It will requires some more work but I think it is duable
to have something basic quikly there.

The big question is then: do we consider this useful or should we try to
move to a real calendar solution with the reminder function added ?

Best regards,
Pierre

[1] Why 2121-12-31? Because 21+21=42
[2] This work is still to be done (probably a script to run via a
cronjob at first)
[3] This will require quite some work and probably more than I can put
in during my free time

PS: I am opening now the discussion but I'll be away for 10 days
starting on Wednesday (morning, US time)

Pierre-Yves Chibon 10-05-2012 05:04 PM

Introduction Fedocal

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 19:27 +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Fedocal is a web-application aiming at providing a central place for
> Fedora calendar related data.
> My first thoughts while doing this was the #fedora-meeting{,-1,-2} IRC
> channels, but I do think it could work as well for any other calendar
> related information (releases?, infra?).

We have deployed a test instance of fedocal at:
https://209.132.184.101/fedocal/

It is configured at the moment so that every one that has signed the CLA
can add calendars/meetings, but by default you will need to be CLA+1 (in
one more group than just the CLA group).

Comments/Suggestions/Contributions are always welcome :)

Regards,
Pierre

Clint Savage 10-05-2012 08:46 PM

Introduction Fedocal

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@pingoured.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 19:27 +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Fedocal is a web-application aiming at providing a central place for
>> Fedora calendar related data.
>> My first thoughts while doing this was the #fedora-meeting{,-1,-2} IRC
>> channels, but I do think it could work as well for any other calendar
>> related information (releases?, infra?).
>
> We have deployed a test instance of fedocal at:
> https://209.132.184.101/fedocal/
>
> It is configured at the moment so that every one that has signed the CLA
> can add calendars/meetings, but by default you will need to be CLA+1 (in
> one more group than just the CLA group).
>
> Comments/Suggestions/Contributions are always welcome :)
>
> Regards,
> Pierre

Very nice, Pierre!

I guess I missed the September announcement of it. I've been wanting
something nice like this for sometime. I'll be happy to help test it
as needed, so add me to whatever list will allow me to help.

As for features, I think the iCal/caldav stuff is uber important. I
want to be able to import it into whatever calendaring system I'm
using and be able to add/remove them from my own interface (assuming I
have rights). I think this is more important even than the interface
that you already have working in that most people are already
comfortable with their own calendaring, be it google calendar,
iCalendar from Apple, Lotus Notes, etc. Integration in calendaring is
the most challenging but useful part. I know that's a longer term goal
and I think I can work with two calendars for the short term, but
without a way to push/pull events between calendars, I don't see it
working long term for me.

Thanks again for putting this together and I look forward to watching
the featureset grow and help where I can.

Cheers,

Clint (irc:herlo)

Pierre-Yves Chibon 10-05-2012 09:55 PM

Introduction Fedocal

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 14:46 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@pingoured.fr> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 19:27 +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Fedocal is a web-application aiming at providing a central place for
> >> Fedora calendar related data.
> >> My first thoughts while doing this was the #fedora-meeting{,-1,-2} IRC
> >> channels, but I do think it could work as well for any other calendar
> >> related information (releases?, infra?).
> >
> > We have deployed a test instance of fedocal at:
> > https://209.132.184.101/fedocal/
> >
> > It is configured at the moment so that every one that has signed the CLA
> > can add calendars/meetings, but by default you will need to be CLA+1 (in
> > one more group than just the CLA group).
> >
> > Comments/Suggestions/Contributions are always welcome :)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Pierre
>
> Very nice, Pierre!
>
> I guess I missed the September announcement of it. I've been wanting
> something nice like this for sometime. I'll be happy to help test it
> as needed, so add me to whatever list will allow me to help.
>
> As for features, I think the iCal/caldav stuff is uber important. I
> want to be able to import it into whatever calendaring system I'm
> using and be able to add/remove them from my own interface (assuming I
> have rights). I think this is more important even than the interface
> that you already have working in that most people are already
> comfortable with their own calendaring, be it google calendar,
> iCalendar from Apple, Lotus Notes, etc. Integration in calendaring is
> the most challenging but useful part. I know that's a longer term goal
> and I think I can work with two calendars for the short term, but
> without a way to push/pull events between calendars, I don't see it
> working long term for me.
>
> Thanks again for putting this together and I look forward to watching
> the featureset grow and help where I can.

Hi Clint,

Thanks for the feedback and the encouragements.

I agree that a iCal/Caldav support is a MUST for this project,
unfortunately time-wise it might be limited for me the coming months.
I should try to see if iCal might not be easier to support than Caldav
though, even if I start by having a read-only calendar.

Maírín said that she could help with the design and today iambryan
offered to help as well on the project and we you on board, the team is
growing fast!

To me the first objective is to clarify and stabilize the code and make
it looks nicer (both the code and the website).
The iCal/Caldav feature will come afterward once there are sufficient
unit-tests coverage :)

In the meanwhile, please send bug reports and RFE, I'll keep a TODO file
within the project to not lose track of them.

Regards,
Pierre

Robyn Bergeron 10-05-2012 10:08 PM

Introduction Fedocal

[...]

How does this work with the work people have been doing on Fedora
Insight, since that had been planned to have an integrated calendar?

Regards,
Pierre

Pierre-Yves Chibon 10-05-2012 10:20 PM

Introduction Fedocal

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 15:08 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On 10/05/2012 02:55 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:

> How does this work with the work people have been doing on Fedora
> Insight, since that had been planned to have an integrated calendar?

I sent the first email about this in September (here and on logistics)
hoping to open this discussion, but I have not heard anything :)

fedocal is still un-finished and lacks some major features that we would
want. If the Insight team is working on the calendar and is making
progress, I am happy to leave them the place.
>From the discussion during the infrastructure meeting we all agreed that
having yet another application to maintain is costly. I have probably
not asked the right people to get new about the Insight progress.

Regards,
Pierre