-   -   Freeze break request: tweak mediawiki's fedmsg plugin (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-infrastructure/697508-freeze-break-request-tweak-mediawikis-fedmsg-plugin.html)

Ralph Bean 08-25-2012 02:04 AM

Freeze break request: tweak mediawiki's fedmsg plugin

Good evening,

The httpd root process has been dieing seemingly at random on the
different app0* servers. We're not sure what it is, but there's a
chance that it could be the fedmsg-emit.php plugin. Here's a proposed
patch that's been sitting in staging for about a week:

http://www.fpaste.org/VqpG/

The theory is that, before, if "fedmsg-config" failed (which it
shouldn't), then the script would call die(). die() shouldn't
terminate the root httpd process, but.. well.. we're not sure
what else could be happening.

The change goes: instead of calling die(), if the plugin can't
setup its fedmsg socket, then it just won't register its callbacks
with mediawiki, instead of calling die();

I've tested that this is sane in staging, but there's no way to test
that it fixes the issue, since it happens randomishly.

This doesn't require a new fedmsg rpm. The fedmsg-emit.php plugin
is kept in puppet.

Seeking +1s for freeze break.

Cheers!

Kevin Fenzi 08-25-2012 02:29 AM

Freeze break request: tweak mediawiki's fedmsg plugin

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:04:09 -0400
Ralph Bean <rbean@redhat.com> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> The httpd root process has been dieing seemingly at random on the
> different app0* servers. We're not sure what it is, but there's a
> chance that it could be the fedmsg-emit.php plugin. Here's a proposed
> patch that's been sitting in staging for about a week:
>
> http://www.fpaste.org/VqpG/
>
> The theory is that, before, if "fedmsg-config" failed (which it
> shouldn't), then the script would call die(). die() shouldn't
> terminate the root httpd process, but.. well.. we're not sure
> what else could be happening.
>
> The change goes: instead of calling die(), if the plugin can't
> setup its fedmsg socket, then it just won't register its callbacks
> with mediawiki, instead of calling die();
>
> I've tested that this is sane in staging, but there's no way to test
> that it fixes the issue, since it happens randomishly.
>
> This doesn't require a new fedmsg rpm. The fedmsg-emit.php plugin
> is kept in puppet.
>
> Seeking +1s for freeze break.

+1 here. I hope this fixes this crash, and it's worth a try to rule out
anyhow. ;)

kevin

Ricky Elrod 08-25-2012 03:59 AM

On 08/24/2012 10:29 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:04:09 -0400
> Ralph Bean <rbean@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Good evening,
>>
>> The httpd root process has been dieing seemingly at random on the
>> different app0* servers. We're not sure what it is, but there's a
>> chance that it could be the fedmsg-emit.php plugin. Here's a proposed
>> patch that's been sitting in staging for about a week:
>>
>> http://www.fpaste.org/VqpG/

+1

Ralph Bean 08-25-2012 04:35 AM

Freeze break request: tweak mediawiki's fedmsg plugin

Done.