Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Clint Savage

Default Fedora pastebin server (sticky-notes) - move to staging

For those of you who may be interested, we're finally moving forward
to update the fedora pastebin server. We're planning the new pastebin
to represent fpaste.org and be an instance of sticky-notes
(https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/sticky-notes).
Athmane already has a puppet configuration and this is noted in the
ticket below.

We will also be needing to work with the maintainer of fpaste to
update the configuration there and should have that part done soon as
well.

Any other information is in the ticket.

Please let us know if there are any concerns.

Cheers,

Clint

Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:42:27 -0600
Clint Savage <herlo@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> For those of you who may be interested, we're finally moving forward
> to update the fedora pastebin server. We're planning the new pastebin
> to represent fpaste.org and be an instance of sticky-notes
> (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/sticky-notes).
> Athmane already has a puppet configuration and this is noted in the
> ticket below.

A few questions:

Is there any ongoing maint we need to do with sticky-notes?

Do we need to populate a badwords blacklist ?

Are there any SOP's that need written? I know it has an admin
interface, we should note what that might be useful for and how to
access it for admins. It would be good to describe how to remove a
paste that had copyrighted stuff or something.

No google+ share link?

What final url do we want to use?

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/sticky-notes/
https://fedoraproject.org/sticky-notes/
https://sticky-notes.fedoraproject.org/
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/paste/
https://fedoraproject.org/paste/
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/
https://something else?

Do we want to cache pastes with varnish? Or not bother?

> We will also be needing to work with the maintainer of fpaste to
> update the configuration there and should have that part done soon as
> well.

I think this would be good to have in place... just for now an option
or a config file that points it to the staging instance. Once we go
live we can push out a updated fpaste again that changes the default.

kevin

Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Clint Savage

See my responses inline.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:42:27 -0600
> Clint Savage <herlo@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> For those of you who may be interested, we're finally moving forward
>> to update the fedora pastebin server. We're planning the new pastebin
>> to represent fpaste.org and be an instance of sticky-notes
>> (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/sticky-notes).
>> Athmane already has a puppet configuration and this is noted in the
>> ticket below.
>
> A few questions:
>
> Is there any ongoing maint we need to do with sticky-notes?

Probably any php security issues should be watched. We do use a mysql
database for this application, so probably good to keep that backed up
from time to time. The only other maintenance is updates to
sticky-notes. I suspect we'll probably want to purge the pastes at
some point in time, so there might be a need for a cron job to do such
a thing.

> Do we need to populate a badwords blacklist ?

Yes, there is a place to do that in the admin.

> Are there any SOP's that need written? I know it has an admin
> interface, we should note what that might be useful for and how to
> access it for admins. It would be good to describe how to remove a
> paste that had copyrighted stuff or something.

We should probably investigate and document the best configs for the
Project Honey Pot configuration. I also understand that Fedora Project
will need an account at http://www.projecthoneypot.org/httpbl_api.php
to use the honey pot.

> No google+ share link?

I know, right!?

I'm a big fan of https://paste.fedoraproject.org but
http://fedoraproject.org/paste is fine as well.

> Do we want to cache pastes with varnish? Or not bother?

What value would this gain us? I suppose if a ton of people were
visiting a specific paste right after it was posted, we could see a
performance benefit.

>> We will also be needing to work with the maintainer of fpaste to
>> update the configuration there and should have that part done soon as
>> well.
> I think this would be good to have in place... just for now an option
> or a config file that points it to the staging instance. Once we go
> live we can push out a updated fpaste again that changes the default.

I took a look last night at fpaste and was able to hack it to work
with the development version of sticky-notes. From what I can tell the
old fpaste.org did things differently in terms of return details and
such. I'm planning on submitting the patches upstream today.

The fpaste client is written to work specifically with fpaste.org and
not much else. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I just don't know
if it would be better to just create fedpaste and have it provide
fpaste or something like that going forward. I think I want to ask the
maintainer of fpaste how they would like to proceed and see where we
go from there.

Cheers,

Clint

Cheers,

Clint

Old 08-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

Is there any ongoing maint we need to do with sticky-notes?

Do we need to populate a badwords blacklist ?

I've prepared a list of bad words + file sharing urls, I'll check with
others if its content is OK.

Are there any SOP's that need written? I know it has an admin
interface, we should note what that might be useful for and how to
access it for admins. It would be good to describe how to remove a
paste that had copyrighted stuff or something.

Yes

No google+ share link?

I can add that to the fedora skin.

What final url do we want to use?

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/sticky-notes/
https://fedoraproject.org/sticky-notes/
https://sticky-notes.fedoraproject.org/
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/paste/
https://fedoraproject.org/paste/
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/
https://something else?

Probably: paste.fedoraproject.org (but shorter is better)

Do we want to cache pastes with varnish? Or not bother?

It will help to reduce the load on httpd and mysql servers.

<snip>

-Athmane

Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Clint Savage

>> What final url do we want to use?
>>
>> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/sticky-notes/
>> https://fedoraproject.org/sticky-notes/
>> https://sticky-notes.fedoraproject.org/
>> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/paste/
>> https://fedoraproject.org/paste/
>> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/
>> https://something else?

One other comment. I'm pretty sure Stephan (daMaestro) will be happy
to point fpaste.org, as a cname or some such, to whatever domain we
choose. I'm kind of wondering if we want to bring fpaste.org into the
fold of domains managed by the fedora project?

Clint

Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On 16 August 2012 11:39, Clint Savage <herlo1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What final url do we want to use?
>>>
>>> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/sticky-notes/
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/sticky-notes/
>>> https://sticky-notes.fedoraproject.org/
>>> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/paste/
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/paste/
>>> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/
>>> https://something else?
>
> One other comment. I'm pretty sure Stephan (daMaestro) will be happy
> to point fpaste.org, as a cname or some such, to whatever domain we
> choose. I'm kind of wondering if we want to bring fpaste.org into the
> fold of domains managed by the fedora project?

It had been asked about in the past, and I was told the owner was not
interested at that time. If that has changed, we can work with Red Hat
Lgal to do so.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."

Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:13:28 -0600
Clint Savage <herlo1@gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> > Is there any ongoing maint we need to do with sticky-notes?
>
> Probably any php security issues should be watched. We do use a mysql
> database for this application, so probably good to keep that backed up
> from time to time. The only other maintenance is updates to
> sticky-notes. I suspect we'll probably want to purge the pastes at
> some point in time, so there might be a need for a cron job to do such
> a thing.

ok. I would expect it to grow pretty slowly. Text should compress
pretty well in the db I would hope.

> We should probably investigate and document the best configs for the
> Project Honey Pot configuration. I also understand that Fedora Project
> will need an account at http://www.projecthoneypot.org/httpbl_api.php
> to use the honey pot.

I'm a bit leary of using a external service like this.
Perhaps we could wait and see if we need to use it, or if the other
spam controls are sufficent?

> I'm a big fan of https://paste.fedoraproject.org but
> http://fedoraproject.org/paste is fine as well.

Does this service keep any cookies or require any fas login?
I would guess not...

> What value would this gain us? I suppose if a ton of people were
> visiting a specific paste right after it was posted, we could see a
> performance benefit.

yeah. if 50 people hit the same paste it would be cached at the
proxies.

> I took a look last night at fpaste and was able to hack it to work
> with the development version of sticky-notes. From what I can tell the
> old fpaste.org did things differently in terms of return details and
> such. I'm planning on submitting the patches upstream today.

ok.

> The fpaste client is written to work specifically with fpaste.org and
> not much else. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I just don't know
> if it would be better to just create fedpaste and have it provide
> fpaste or something like that going forward. I think I want to ask the
> maintainer of fpaste how they would like to proceed and see where we
> go from there.

ok. Sounds good.

kevin

Old 08-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:19:05 +0100
Athmane Madjoudj <athmane@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I've prepared a list of bad words + file sharing urls, I'll check
> with others if its content is OK.

Sounds good.

> > No google+ share link?
> >

> I can add that to the fedora skin.

Cool. And upstream.

> Probably: paste.fedoraproject.org (but shorter is better)

yeah, unless we can come up with an unused domain.

kevin

Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:56:42 -0600
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

> > One other comment. I'm pretty sure Stephan (daMaestro) will be happy
> > to point fpaste.org, as a cname or some such, to whatever domain we
> > choose. I'm kind of wondering if we want to bring fpaste.org into
> > the fold of domains managed by the fedora project?
>
> It had been asked about in the past, and I was told the owner was not
> interested at that time. If that has changed, we can work with Red Hat
> Lgal to do so.

Yes, my understanding is that the domain holder does not wish to sign
the domain over to Red Hat.

If they want to do a CNAME to whatever url/hostname we use that would
be fine, but we shouldn't depend on it.

kevin

Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Clint Savage

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:56:42 -0600
> Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > One other comment. I'm pretty sure Stephan (daMaestro) will be happy
>> > to point fpaste.org, as a cname or some such, to whatever domain we
>> > choose. I'm kind of wondering if we want to bring fpaste.org into
>> > the fold of domains managed by the fedora project?
>>
>> It had been asked about in the past, and I was told the owner was not
>> interested at that time. If that has changed, we can work with Red Hat
>> Lgal to do so.
>
> Yes, my understanding is that the domain holder does not wish to sign
> the domain over to Red Hat.
>
> If they want to do a CNAME to whatever url/hostname we use that would
> be fine, but we shouldn't depend on it.

Hmm, I thought the owner of the domain was also the owner of the
fpaste server application on which it runs. I guess we'll just lean
toward CNAME for now.

Clint