Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default cgit testing

So, I sat down today and got cgit mostly working for us to test.

For pkgs:

Just go to:

http://pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org/cgit/

For hosted:

edit your /etc/hosts and add:
66.135.62.201 fedorahosted.org git.fedorahosted.org

Then go to:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/

It could be tweaked more for sure, but it seems to work and is
reasonably zippy.

Can anyone think of any reason not to just enable this on
hosted03/pkgs01? It can live alongside gitweb-caching and we can look
at redirects to take over when we want to retire gitweb-caching.

Some things to look at before announcing/making live/retiring
gitweb-caching:

- Do we want to ask the design/websites folks for a custom css thats
more "fedora-ey" ?

- How much do we want to try and set redirects to replace
gitweb-caching?

kevin

Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 05:09:15PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> It could be tweaked more for sure, but it seems to work and is
> reasonably zippy.

Sounds like a winner then ;-)

> Can anyone think of any reason not to just enable this on
> hosted03/pkgs01? It can live alongside gitweb-caching and we can look
> at redirects to take over when we want to retire gitweb-caching.

Do we end up chewing "twice" the resources that way? If gitweb-caching is
already causing us load issues sometimes... seems like we're just adding
more buren to the machines.

OTOH, if it lets us get gitweb-caching off sooner to have cgit stood up on
the hosts ASAP, then +1 :-)

> Some things to look at before announcing/making live/retiring
> gitweb-caching:
>
> - Do we want to ask the design/websites folks for a custom css thats
> more "fedora-ey" ?
>
> - How much do we want to try and set redirects to replace
> gitweb-caching?

I wouldn't block on either of these. I think that the css could be done
after the fact. redirects I think we've determined are nice to have but
if links in mailing list archives break, we're prepared to accept that.

-Toshio

Old 07-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Seth Vidal

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 05:09:15PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

It could be tweaked more for sure, but it seems to work and is
reasonably zippy.

Sounds like a winner then ;-)

OTOH, if it lets us get gitweb-caching off sooner to have cgit stood up on
the hosts ASAP, then +1 :-)

Some things to look at before announcing/making live/retiring
gitweb-caching:

- Do we want to ask the design/websites folks for a custom css thats
more "fedora-ey" ?

- How much do we want to try and set redirects to replace
gitweb-caching?

I wouldn't block on either of these. I think that the css could be done
after the fact. redirects I think we've determined are nice to have but
if links in mailing list archives break, we're prepared to accept that.

I concur with Toshio on all counts.

turn it on - and let's see about nuking gitweb with fire.

-sv

Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Kevin Fenzi

ok. I have pushed this out.

http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/
and
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/

should be live and working.

We can discuss at the meeting this week how we want to handle the
transition over from gitweb-caching and see if we can get it nuked.

Please do hit the above areas and let me know if you see any issues.

kevin

Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Brennan Ashton

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> ok. I have pushed this out.
>
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/
> and
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/
>
> should be live and working.
>
> We can discuss at the meeting this week how we want to handle the
> transition over from gitweb-caching and see if we can get it nuked.
>
> Please do hit the above areas and let me know if you see any issues.
>
> kevin

Hey,
There is an 500 error for http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/ pkgs is
working though.

--Brennan Ashton

Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:32:52 -0700
Brennan Ashton <bashton@brennanashton.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> There is an 500 error for http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/ pkgs is
> working though.

Yeah, we apparently hit a cgit error right away.

Tmz has been working on debugging it. it seems related to projects with
very long description lines.

Hopefully we will have a fix soon.

kevin

Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:10:18 -0600
Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:32:52 -0700
> Brennan Ashton <bashton@brennanashton.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> > There is an 500 error for http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/ pkgs is
> > working though.
>
> Yeah, we apparently hit a cgit error right away.
>
> Tmz has been working on debugging it. it seems related to projects
> with very long description lines.
>
> Hopefully we will have a fix soon.

Should all be working now.

It's apparently a bug in cgit when you have a repo with a description
larger than 254 characters. ;(

Tmz figured it out and got things fixed up.

kevin