Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default gitweb vs cgit

On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:03:51 -0400
seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> We're currently using gitweb[-caching] on fedorahosted and on
> fedorapeople.

And pkgs.fedoraproject.org.

> A discussion today suggested maybe we should move to cgit in its lieu.
>

> First things first:
>
> 1. cgit means we break old links to gitweb urls

People would have that in their history and the like, but we don't
officially point into gitweb anywhere do we?
For things like pkgs, since the front page is unusable, you have to
know the url to a package anyhow, so I doubt too many people are even
hitting it there.

> 2. cgit is a different pkg - maintained by other folks
> 3. gitweb-caching appears to be abandoned (gitweb is maintained but it
> doesn't do caching) - kernel.org is using gitweb-caching

4. We have outstanding tickets where gitweb-caching messes up and
caches the wrong project or the like, it would be nice to fix that up.

> so - question - is cgit different and better enough to warrant the
> hurt of moving?
>
> is cgit more reliably maintained?
>
> is it faster? (hell, not sure it is possible for it to be slower)

I think we may want to test out an instance in stg or on a dev box to
get the answers to these questions...

> Are we overlooking other options?

Some more (which may not be ideal but I thought I would mention):

- The git-web in the git package. It's not got any caching tho, so it
may not be acceptable performance wise.

- For fedorahosted we could just move people to using the trac git
interface. It's sadly a lot slower and uglier, IMHO.

kevin

Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

KF> People would have that in their history and the like, but we don't
KF> officially point into gitweb anywhere do we?

bugz.fedoraproject.org does, but of course that's a trivial change.

- J<

Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Mathieu Bridon

On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 17:52 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> KF> People would have that in their history and the like, but we don't
> KF> officially point into gitweb anywhere do we?
>
> bugz.fedoraproject.org does, but of course that's a trivial change.

There are also two links here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Fedora_GIT#References

--
Mathieu

Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 04:36:33 PM Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:03:51 -0400 seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > is cgit more reliably maintained?

> > is it faster? (hell, not sure it is possible for it to be slower)

> I think we may want to test out an instance in stg or on a dev box to

> get the answers to these questions...

*

A couple of things I've noticed about CGIT and running it is that;

*

- with git.kolab.org and git.kolabsys.com running as different vhosts on the same host, cgit needs to be rebuilt to allow it to not use the same /etc/cgitrc file (and cache directories and the like). Not sure this is relevant for Fedora Infra though.

*

- cgit paginates the front page to 50 per page - I have not found an option to make that, say, 100. Perhaps it is relevant to point out the speed of the search function; from http://git.kolabsys.com/ to http://git.kolabsys.com/?q=cyrus-imapd took 0.597 seconds.

*

- prefixes (like on git.kolabsys.com, apt/ and rpm/) do not change/help select a group of repositories in any way, and the paging is not done properly.

*

Kind regards,

*

Jeroen van Meeuwen

*

--

Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG

*

e: vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com

m: +44 74 2516 3817

w: http://www.kolabsys.com

*

pgp: 9342 BF08

Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Bill Nottingham

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha@fedoraproject.org) said:

> > KF> People would have that in their history and the like, but we don't
> > KF> officially point into gitweb anywhere do we?
> >
> > bugz.fedoraproject.org does, but of course that's a trivial change.
>
> There are also two links here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Fedora_GIT#References

And presumably quite a few links in bugzilla comments, etc.

Bill

Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Bill Nottingham

Bill Nottingham (notting@redhat.com) said:
> Mathieu Bridon (bochecha@fedoraproject.org) said:

> > > bugz.fedoraproject.org does, but of course that's a trivial change.
> >
> > There are also two links here:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Fedora_GIT#References
>
> And presumably quite a few links in bugzilla comments, etc.

A naive query shows 2469 links to http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/?...

Bill