Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 PM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

Default Proper setting for smtp_from in new trac instance?

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see any kind of guide to setting up a
new fedorahosted trac instance so I copied from one other trac where I
have privileges. That trac has smtp_from set to trac@fedorahosted.org.

The problem with this is that some hosts appear to do SMTP callouts and
reject messages sent with that setting:

May 29 04:42:36 hosted03.vpn.fedoraproject.org postfix/smtpd[17813]:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table;
from=<> to=<trac@fedorahosted.org> proto=SMTP helo=XXX

infradead.org is one such host that does this, but it is not the only
one.

It appears that several trac instances are using this setting. Should I
be using something else or is it possible to get an alias from trac@ to
nobody@ set up so that this will work?

- J<

Old 05-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 30 May 2012 13:41:09 -0500
"Jason L Tibbitts III" <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see any kind of guide to setting up a
> new fedorahosted trac instance so I copied from one other trac where I
> have privileges. That trac has smtp_from set to
> trac@fedorahosted.org.
>
> The problem with this is that some hosts appear to do SMTP callouts
> and reject messages sent with that setting:
>
> May 29 04:42:36 hosted03.vpn.fedoraproject.org postfix/smtpd[17813]:
> NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from XXX: 550 5.1.1 <trac@fedorahosted.org>:
> Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table;
> from=<> to=<trac@fedorahosted.org> proto=SMTP helo=XXX
>
> infradead.org is one such host that does this, but it is not the only
> one.
>
> It appears that several trac instances are using this setting.
> Should I be using something else or is it possible to get an alias
> from trac@ to nobody@ set up so that this will work?

Yeah, I have added a alias to send trac to /dev/null... so hopefully it
will work now.

Please let me know if it doesn't or needs further adjustment.

kevin