Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default Freeze break: update boot.fedoraproject.org to latest ipxe

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:31:17AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> This has been something I have had on my todo list for a long time and
> keep not getting to, so I would like to now.
>
> Currently boot.fedoraproject.org is using gpxe. These gpxe images were
> generated 2010-08, so they are pretty old. In the mean time, gpxe
> development has stopped, and efforts have moved on to the new ipxe
> project. ipxe has added a bunch more hardware support, including some
> wireless cards, efi support, etc.
>
> I'd like to replace the existing binaries on secondary01:
>
> $ ls -la /srv/pub/alt/bfo/bfo*
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mmcgrath sysadmin-main 307200 Aug 24 2010 /srv/pub/alt/bfo/bfo.dsk
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mmcgrath sysadmin-main 686080 Aug 24 2010 /srv/pub/alt/bfo/bfo.iso
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mmcgrath sysadmin-main 308820 Aug 24 2010 /srv/pub/alt/bfo/bfo.lkrn
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 mmcgrath sysadmin-main 344064 Aug 24 2010 /srv/pub/alt/bfo/bfo.usb
>
> with new shiny ipxe binaries:
>
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 kevin kevin 362496 May 11 09:52 bin/ipxe.dsk
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 kevin kevin 1048576 May 11 09:55 bin/ipxe.iso
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 kevin kevin 364490 May 11 09:52 bin/ipxe.lkrn
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 kevin kevin 409600 May 11 09:55 bin/ipxe.usb
>
> This should vastly increase hardware support for boot.fedoraproject.org users.
>
> Additionally, I would update the boot.fedoraproject.org web pages to note we are
> using ipxe instead of gpxe.
> Additionally, I would be changing the embeded script in the ipxe binaries
> from:
>
> #!gpxe
> echo Please provide, IP address, Netmask, Gateway and Router
> ifopen net0
> config net0
> set 209:string pxelinux.cfg/default
> set 210:string http://mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/gpxe/
> chain http://mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/gpxe/pxelinux.0

> #!gpxe
> echo Please provide, IP address, Netmask, Gateway and Router
> ifopen net0
> config net0
> set 209:string pxelinux.cfg/default
> set 210:string http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/bfo/
> chain http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/bfo/pxelinux.0
>
> I'll note there is currently NO release criteria that involves boot.fedoraproject.org
> Additionally, if testing shows that ipxe fails in some way we can't easily
> fix, it should be trivial to put the old binaries back and regroup.
>
> Can I get +1's to this plan?

Sounds okay to me. Probably should have some release criteria for boot.fp.o
sometime in the future.

One question I have is how this affects people who have already downloaded
a bfo.* and are using that for their upgrades. That should continue to work
unless the mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/* files go away, correct? Do we want
to announce the change in official file location so that people are warned?

-Toshio

Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Fri, 11 May 2012 12:27:08 -0700
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds okay to me. Probably should have some release criteria for
> boot.fp.o sometime in the future.

Yeah, it might well happen at some point, but it's just not been on the
radar.

> One question I have is how this affects people who have already
> downloaded a bfo.* and are using that for their upgrades. That
> should continue to work unless the mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/* files
> go away, correct? Do we want to announce the change in official file
> location so that people are warned?

Correct. it should keep working as long as those files are there.

I think we should make this change, and then setup a sunset for say a
year from now where we announce then retire the old files. That leaves
lots of time for folks to pick up the new ipxe binaries.

We could perhaps even redirect the old ones to a page asking them to
redownload the new binaries.

kevin

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

+1 to the freeze break request

-Toshio

Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Kevin Fenzi

I've made these changes and have at least one report that things are
working ok.

However, my testing here doesn't seem to work right.
My test vm gets stuck asking for the default pxelinux file. Not sure if
it's a issue with my test network, firewall or what.

Additional testing from folks would be very welcome.

Just go to http://boot.fedoraproject.org/ and download and use one of
the image types there. Confirm that you get a menu and can start an
installer.

Thanks!

kevin