Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Ian Weller

Default Proposal: *.fudcon.fedoraproject.org subdomains for FUDCons

FUDCon organizers may wish to use their own application (hosted
anywhere, such as OpenShift) to handle registrations or BarCamp
scheduling for FUDCons.

There is currently some sort of application on fudcon.fedoraproject.org
that handles registrations and other things (there's currently a
discussion on that on various lists).

My proposal is as follows:
- At the request of the event organizers for an approved FUDCon, a
domain name such as lawrence2013.fudcon.fedoraproject.org is created.
- This domain can point to anywhere (for example, an OpenShift
application, or a VPS).
- The first part of the domain name will be the city name where the
FUDCon is hosted followed by the year (for example, blacksburg2012,
kualalumpur2012, lawrence2013).

At this point I'm only proposing that we do DNS services.

Questions, comments, flames?

--
Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org>

Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Kévin Raymond

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Ian Weller <ian@ianweller.org> wrote:
> FUDCon organizers may wish to use their own application (hosted
> anywhere, such as OpenShift) to handle registrations or BarCamp
> scheduling for FUDCons.
>
> There is currently some sort of application on fudcon.fedoraproject.org
> that handles registrations and other things (there's currently a
> discussion on that on various lists).
>
> My proposal is as follows:
> - At the request of the event organizers for an approved FUDCon, a
> *domain name such as lawrence2013.fudcon.fedoraproject.org is created.
> - This domain can point to anywhere (for example, an OpenShift
> *application, or a VPS).
> - The first part of the domain name will be the city name where the
> *FUDCon is hosted followed by the year (for example, blacksburg2012,
> *kualalumpur2012, lawrence2013).
>
> At this point I'm only proposing that we do DNS services.
>
> Questions, comments, flames?

After the event, the subdomains will be closed, we will then have broken URLs.
We want to define an unified platform for FUDCon organizer, IMHO it
would be great because people will know where to look for FUDCon
specific things, will know the platform and how to use it… And the
content will basically be the same for all FUDCon, this would be
faster.

What you propose could be fine for a localized FUDCon website (no
English), but I would prefer to have it on the above platform (some
work were done with Drupal, and we are currently looking to finish
that).

Of course, if we don't provide an unified platform, your idea could
still be useful.

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 2 May 2012 23:43:17 +0200
Kévin Raymond <shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> After the event, the subdomains will be closed, we will then have
> broken URLs.

Personally, I would prefer we keep around old fudcon sites, or have at
least a redirect to an archived version. People might find it useful to
look at say Fudcon Pune 2011 or whatever.

If each fudcon hosts it's own, that becomes more difficult as then they
may drop hosting or not want to maintain it further.

Perhaps we could standardize a archive page for fudcons past?
ie, have a wiki page it could be pointed to with the archived info or
something?

> We want to define an unified platform for FUDCon
> organizer, IMHO it would be great because people will know where to
> look for FUDCon specific things, will know the platform and how to
> use it… And the content will basically be the same for all FUDCon,
> this would be faster.
>
> What you propose could be fine for a localized FUDCon website (no
> English), but I would prefer to have it on the above platform (some
> work were done with Drupal, and we are currently looking to finish
> that).
>
> Of course, if we don't provide an unified platform, your idea could
> still be useful.

It's unclear to me how much work was done on this, or if it went
anywhere at all... ;(

kevin