Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default Please read: Staging branch removal/reorg

Greetings.

if you use the 'staging' branch in fedora infrastructure puppet repo,
please read this.

I've updated our SOP docs on staging:

http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/infra/docs/staging.txt

to the new way we will be doing staging.

Short summary:

- The seperate 'staging' branch is going away soon. Possibly later this
week if I can manage it.

- You will need to use the above method to make changes to staging
hosts and applications.

Cutover plans:

- Disable puppet on all staging machines.
- Change puppet config on them to correctly look for 'modules-staging'
first since they are in the staging puppet env.
- In turn, test puppet runs on them, make any needed changes to prevent
doom.
- re-enable puppet on each.
- Wait a few days and make sure everything is happy.
- git branch -D staging
- create cron job that diffs and nags us about modules-staging/* items
per week.

Is anyone doing any testing or deployment in staging right now that
would be affected by this? Please let me know so I can schedule around
it.

Thoughts? Concerns? Rotten tomatos?

kevin

Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Pierre-Yves Chibon

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 11:24 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Is anyone doing any testing or deployment in staging right now that
> would be affected by this? Please let me know so I can schedule around
> it.

We have easyfix which is currently only in staging, should we move it to
prod before the switch ?

Pierre

Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Ricky Elrod

On 04/18/2012 01:24 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> - git branch -D staging

To my knowledge this will only delete the local branch - you'll want
`git push origin :staging` to delete it from the remote, I think.

-re

Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:44:00 +0200
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@pingoured.fr> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 11:24 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone doing any testing or deployment in staging right now that
> > would be affected by this? Please let me know so I can schedule
> > around it.
>
> We have easyfix which is currently only in staging, should we move it
> to prod before the switch ?

Sure. Is it ready to move?

kevin

Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:48:50 -0400
Ricky Elrod <codeblock@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 04/18/2012 01:24 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > - git branch -D staging
>
> To my knowledge this will only delete the local branch - you'll want
> `git push origin :staging` to delete it from the remote, I think.

Quite right.

kevin

Old 04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Pierre-Yves Chibon

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 08:38 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:44:00 +0200
> Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@pingoured.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 11:24 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > >
> > > Is anyone doing any testing or deployment in staging right now that
> > > would be affected by this? Please let me know so I can schedule
> > > around it.
> >
> > We have easyfix which is currently only in staging, should we move it
> > to prod before the switch ?
>
> Sure. Is it ready to move?

Well, http://stg.fedoraproject.org/easyfix/ is up and running, the last
update information at the bottom says: "Last update: Thu Apr 19 2012
14:30", you have not received any complain from the cron job, so looks
good

Pierre

Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:58:42 +0200
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@pingoured.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 08:38 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:44:00 +0200
> > Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@pingoured.fr> wrote:

> > > We have easyfix which is currently only in staging, should we
> > > move it to prod before the switch ?
> >
> > Sure. Is it ready to move?
>
> Well, http://stg.fedoraproject.org/easyfix/ is up and running, the
> last update information at the bottom says: "Last update: Thu Apr 19
> 2012 14:30", you have not received any complain from the cron job, so
> looks good

Cool. No complaints I see.

Lets make it live!

kevin