Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 PM
"Daniel J. Ashcom"

Default I'm going to have to step back for a while

Hi,

**** Unfortunately, my new job requires a lot of hours and I don't
have the option of working on Fedora project work at my job.* I'd
really like to keep learning as best I can and contributing so I
don't want to just leave and give up on volunteering.* At the same
time I need more direction, but I can't make the Thursday meetings.

**** Can anyone suggest from experience how I might stay involved
given my circumstances?* I've been working on a ticket but my lack
of Python experience means I could use some help closing that
ticket.* I ask because people seem to work/discuss the projects on
the irc channel various times of the day and I'd really like to keep
learning and put to use what I know already in terms of sys admin.

Please get back with me, if anyone is so inclined, to help me find
an approach to be more productive and stay involved.* This is
important to me and if I can make it work, I'd really like to do
so.* Guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks much,

Danny Ashcom

Old 04-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:12:54 -0400
"Daniel J. Ashcom" <dashcom@alumni.iu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately, my new job requires a lot of hours and I don't
> have the option of working on Fedora project work at my job. I'd
> really like to keep learning as best I can and contributing so I
> don't want to just leave and give up on volunteering. At the same
> time I need more direction, but I can't make the Thursday meetings.

No problem, we know how it goes...

> Can anyone suggest from experience how I might stay involved
> given my circumstances? I've been working on a ticket but my lack of
> Python experience means I could use some help closing that ticket. I
> ask because people seem to work/discuss the projects on the irc
> channel various times of the day and I'd really like to keep learning
> and put to use what I know already in terms of sys admin.

You could try adding questions in the ticket you are looking at, or try
and see who submitted the ticket and see if you can catch them on irc
and ask them more questions.

IRC is great for random questions about something, just chime right in.

> Please get back with me, if anyone is so inclined, to help me find an
> approach to be more productive and stay involved. This is important
> to me and if I can make it work, I'd really like to do so. Guidance
> is much appreciated.

Idling in IRC is also sometimes good as you can see a conversation that
might be related to something you are doing, even if you were not there
at the time...

kevin