Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default upcoming hosted/collab plans

Greetings.

I thought I would give the list a heads up on some upcoming plans for
fedorahosted.org and lists.fedoraproject.org.

Currently, there are 4 machines handling things for these two domains.
Two pairs of two. Each are using drbd and heardbeat to replicate data:

hosted03 - hosted04
collab03 - collab04

I'm going to look at installing new instances and move them from drbd
to using glusterfs. Theres a number of advantages to this:

* Both nodes can access the data. With drbd, only the primary can.

* glusterfs doesn't require any 3rd party kernel modules. (it's fuse or
nfs on the client side).

* Hopefully glusterfs will be less fragile when a machine fails, and
require less intervention to sync back up.

I'm going to look at working on a new hosted01/02 pair this week to do
this migration. Sadly, we don't have enough disk to set them up at the
same time as the hosted03/04 pair, so I will be breaking the drbd
replication and re-installing hosted04 as hosted02. We will have a
short time when there's no drbd replication, but we still have backups
and should soon have the data synced to the new glusterfs.

Hopefully, I will have a hosted01 today, do hosted02 tomorrow and start
syncing data. Then we can schedule the switchover for later in the
week. (It should be just simple take down services, rsync again, change
dns).

After hosted is all moved and happy, I want to do the same for collab
machines, and once they are all done, I want to look at moving
lists.fedorahosted.org to the second node of the collab pair.

Anyhow, flaws in this plan or better ideas or whatever welcome.

kevin

Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Kevin Fenzi

I've been reminded of one issue with this plan: glusterfs doesn't
support selinux file labels. So, this means we will probibly need a
custom selinux policy to get things happy with the generic 'fuse'
labels on the glusterfs mount.

Given that current hosted boxes are still in permissive, and I am sure
gluster folks are working for selinux support, I don't think this is a
show stopper...

kevin