Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 AM
Karsten Wade

Default updating elusive contributor stats

I was looking at this nifty graphic:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics#Contributors

... noting that it hasn't been updated in a year.

That looks like a base FAS dump of total accounts, which I reckon is
easy enough to get. But can it be automated? Or made easy for a yokel
like me to do it?

Along the same path, how about slicing contributors in to pools by FAS
groups?

From here I reckon I've just started asking for a new tool, like
previous tools discussed, and some of which may exist, and datanommer
and ... halp?

Thanks - Karsten
--
name: Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Community Gardener
team: Red Hat Community Architecture

Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:22:57 -0800
Karsten Wade <kwade@redhat.com> wrote:

> I was looking at this nifty graphic:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics#Contributors
>
> ... noting that it hasn't been updated in a year.

> That looks like a base FAS dump of total accounts, which I reckon is
> easy enough to get. But can it be automated? Or made easy for a yokel
> like me to do it?

Is "active accounts" cla+1 ? or just anything with any account thats
not marked inactive? cla+1 is easy to get by just going to fedorapeople
and running a 'getent passwd | wc -l' I think.

> Along the same path, how about slicing contributors in to pools by FAS
> groups?

That might be nice... see how and which groups are growing at what
rate.

> From here I reckon I've just started asking for a new tool, like
> previous tools discussed, and some of which may exist, and datanommer
> and ... halp?

Yeah, I can't think it would be too hard to dump out number of people
in each group once a month or week or something.

Can anyone think of a reason that information should be private?
I can't off hand.

> Thanks - Karsten

kevin

Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 12:50 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:22:57 -0800
> Karsten Wade <kwade@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I was looking at this nifty graphic:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics#Contributors
> >
> > ... noting that it hasn't been updated in a year.
>

> > That looks like a base FAS dump of total accounts, which I reckon is
> > easy enough to get. But can it be automated? Or made easy for a yokel
> > like me to do it?
>
> Is "active accounts" cla+1 ? or just anything with any account thats
> not marked inactive? cla+1 is easy to get by just going to fedorapeople
> and running a 'getent passwd | wc -l' I think.
>
> > Along the same path, how about slicing contributors in to pools by FAS
> > groups?
>
> That might be nice... see how and which groups are growing at what
> rate.
>
> > From here I reckon I've just started asking for a new tool, like
> > previous tools discussed, and some of which may exist, and datanommer
> > and ... halp?
>
> Yeah, I can't think it would be too hard to dump out number of people
> in each group once a month or week or something.
>
> Can anyone think of a reason that information should be private?
> I can't off hand.

The sheer counts seem fine - provided no group membership data is dumped
or other location-base information, I think it's probably fine.

there are a number of standard sort of queries that would probably
benefit from running regularly.

-sv

Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:22:57 -0800
> Karsten Wade <kwade@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I was looking at this nifty graphic:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics#Contributors
> >
> > ... noting that it hasn't been updated in a year.
>

> > That looks like a base FAS dump of total accounts, which I reckon is
> > easy enough to get. But can it be automated? Or made easy for a yokel
> > like me to do it?
>
> Is "active accounts" cla+1 ? or just anything with any account thats
> not marked inactive? cla+1 is easy to get by just going to fedorapeople
> and running a 'getent passwd | wc -l' I think.

This was just active accounts, not 'contributors'. One thing I'd note is
this count isn't very accurate as we still aren't actively expiring
accounts. This number cannot go down at the moment, only up. We should
fix it, tricky to do without annoying everyone (IE: the reset your
password fiasco.. you'd think I killed everyone's cat)

-Mike

Old 03-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 14:20:18 -0600,
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> This was just active accounts, not 'contributors'. One thing I'd note is
> this count isn't very accurate as we still aren't actively expiring
> accounts. This number cannot go down at the moment, only up. We should
> fix it, tricky to do without annoying everyone (IE: the reset your
> password fiasco.. you'd think I killed everyone's cat)

Is there a way to just count accounts that have obtained a new certificate
within the last 6 months (or whatever the time limit is)? That should work
well for at least packagers and infrastructure types.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 13:20, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:22:57 -0800
>> Karsten Wade <kwade@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I was looking at this nifty graphic:
>> >
>> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics#Contributors
>> >
>> > ... noting that it hasn't been updated in a year.
>>

>> > That looks like a base FAS dump of total accounts, which I reckon is
>> > easy enough to get. But can it be automated? Or made easy for a yokel
>> > like me to do it?
>>
>> Is "active accounts" cla+1 ? or just anything with any account thats
>> not marked inactive? cla+1 is easy to get by just going to fedorapeople
>> and running a 'getent passwd | wc -l' I think.
>>

> This was just active accounts, not 'contributors'. *One thing I'd note is
> this count isn't very accurate as we still aren't actively expiring
> accounts. *This number cannot go down at the moment, only up. *We should
> fix it, tricky to do without annoying everyone (IE: the reset your
> password fiasco.. you'd think I killed everyone's cat)

I think it was the free BBQ sauce you were handing out with the cats.

I think our next task should be. If you have not logged in for 6
months, you are disabled. If you have been disabeld for 6 months you
are expired. I think that would improve our numbers nicely. Of course
we are going to have a nice cleanup soon with the CLA -> FIPA (or
whatever it is called).

> * * * *-Mike

Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 14:20:18 -0600,
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > This was just active accounts, not 'contributors'. One thing I'd note is
> > this count isn't very accurate as we still aren't actively expiring
> > accounts. This number cannot go down at the moment, only up. We should
> > fix it, tricky to do without annoying everyone (IE: the reset your
> > password fiasco.. you'd think I killed everyone's cat)
>
> Is there a way to just count accounts that have obtained a new certificate
> within the last 6 months (or whatever the time limit is)? That should work
> well for at least packagers and infrastructure types.

Possibly, but there you're talking about contributors, and even more then
that pretty much only packager contributors.

-Mike

Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Oliver R

I dont know if this helps, but... at Terra.com we offer free accounts of email. blog, etc... if a user spends 3 months inactive then the account goes to a 'cool down' state where its data remains there but is not public (in the blogs case) for one week after that week the account gets deleted.*

Maybe we can*implement*that 'cool down' state for 3 weeks or so with weekly reminders or so before actually deactivating the account.*

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:22:57 -0800

> Karsten Wade <kwade@redhat.com> wrote:

> > I was looking at this nifty graphic:

> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics#Contributors

> > ... noting that it hasn't been updated in a year.

> > That looks like a base FAS dump of total accounts, which I reckon is

> > easy enough to get. But can it be automated? Or made easy for a yokel

> > like me to do it?

> Is "active accounts" cla+1 ? or just anything with any account thats

> not marked inactive? cla+1 is easy to get by just going to fedorapeople

> and running a 'getent passwd | wc -l' I think.

This was just active accounts, not 'contributors'. *One thing I'd note is

this count isn't very accurate as we still aren't actively expiring

accounts. *This number cannot go down at the moment, only up. *We should

fix it, tricky to do without annoying everyone (IE: the reset your

password fiasco.. you'd think I killed everyone's cat)

* * * *-Mike

In every house there's a flag
a venezuelan flag
Because we protest and we die
for what we think it's right
because we march and we cry

to make things alright.

My flag is not any flag
With the black color of death
we remember or thoughts...
and never we'll surrender.

This is our war
the civil ones
the pacific one
we're prepared to die for our right

and no one will stop us.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 13:20, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> >> Is "active accounts" cla+1 ? or just anything with any account thats
> >> not marked inactive? cla+1 is easy to get by just going to fedorapeople
> >> and running a 'getent passwd | wc -l' I think.
> >>

> > This was just active accounts, not 'contributors'. *One thing I'd note is
> > this count isn't very accurate as we still aren't actively expiring
> > accounts. *This number cannot go down at the moment, only up. *We should
> > fix it, tricky to do without annoying everyone (IE: the reset your
> > password fiasco.. you'd think I killed everyone's cat)
>
> I think it was the free BBQ sauce you were handing out with the cats.
>
> I think our next task should be. If you have not logged in for 6
> months, you are disabled. If you have been disabeld for 6 months you
> are expired. I think that would improve our numbers nicely. Of course
> we are going to have a nice cleanup soon with the CLA -> FIPA (or
> whatever it is called).

"logged in" to what?

-Mike______________________________________________ _
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 14:14, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>> > This was just active accounts, not 'contributors'. *One thing I'd note is
>> > this count isn't very accurate as we still aren't actively expiring
>> > accounts. *This number cannot go down at the moment, only up. *We should
>> > fix it, tricky to do without annoying everyone (IE: the reset your
>> > password fiasco.. you'd think I killed everyone's cat)
>>
>> I think it was the free BBQ sauce you were handing out with the cats.
>>
>> I think our next task should be. If you have not logged in for 6
>> months, you are disabled. If you have been disabeld for 6 months you
>> are expired. I think that would improve our numbers nicely. Of course
>> we are going to have a nice cleanup soon with the CLA -> FIPA (or
>> whatever it is called).
>>

> "logged in" *to what?

That is always a good question.

--