Old 03-07-2011, 03:57 AM
Bassford John

Default Top 10 services/servers/etc

Ricky
*
assuming you send notifications as email a simple fix to tell that a nagios notification came from a "specific server" is to just edit the comment section in the password file for the account nagios is running as, usually nagios

*
noc01
/etc/passwd
nagios:x:100:100:nagios-noc1:/home/nagios:/sbin/nologin
*
noc02
/etc/passwd
nagios:x:100:100:nagios-noc02:/home/nagios:/sbin/nologin

*
email would show
*
nagios-noc1* <nagios at noc01>
nagios-noc2* <nagios at noc02>
*
of course you could change your 'notification' template too..
*
am new to the list and looking to assist with fedora-infrastructure, and thought I would start with an area I know (nagios), hopefully this is helpful and starts me on my way of actually knowing how fpo nagios is setup , so at some later date I could provide a more viable answer.

*
am jbass29503 on #fedora-admin
*
JB*
*
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 21:00:25 -0500
Ricky Elrod <codeblock@elrod.me> wrote:

> noc02 (nagios external) is running nagios 3, and I did
> think of one thing that we should take a look at. In notifications

> from noc02, it does not mention that the error originated from
> noc02 anymore. I have no clue why.
>
> noc01.stg is a machine that was built as EL6 and is running
> with my preliminary nagios puppet module, in

> puppet/modules/nagios/* ... so config stuff should be editable
> in that directory.
>
> As I've said numerous times, I am fairly confident that our nagios
> config will work perfectly fine in 3, I'm more worried about things

> like meetbot logs and zodbot. Let's get those tested on noc01.stg
> and have /everything/ working so we can stick to smooge's deadline.

I know zodbot was tested (we changed it's nick on noc01.stg and had it

join and tested it out some. I don't know that we have a full testing
plan, but it should work fine I would think.

Not sure how to test meetbot logs, but they are just static html, so I
would think they would work just fine too.

kevin

Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 23:57:17 -0500
Bassford John <jbass29503@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ricky
>
> assuming you send notifications as email a simple fix to tell that a
> nagios notification came from a "specific server" is to just edit the
> comment section in the password file for the account nagios is
> running as, usually nagios
>
> noc01
> /etc/passwd
> nagios:x:100:100:nagios-noc1:/home/nagios:/sbin/nologin
>
> noc02
> /etc/passwd
> nagios:x:100:100:nagios-noc02:/home/nagios:/sbin/nologin
>
> email would show
>
> nagios-noc1 <nagios at noc01>
> nagios-noc2 <nagios at noc02>
>
> of course you could change your 'notification' template too..

Yeah, either would work. It might be nice to see easily which one it
came from.

> am new to the list and looking to assist with fedora-infrastructure,
> and thought I would start with an area I know (nagios), hopefully
> this is helpful and starts me on my way of actually knowing how fpo
> nagios is setup , so at some later date I could provide a more viable
> answer.

Excellent and welcome.

> am jbass29503 on #fedora-admin

Feel free to ask questions or add comments there as you like...

kevin