FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Infrastructure

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM
 
Default Consolidating services: secondary/alt onto download servers.

sounds good to me. secondary1 was because the main netapps were full.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist
Dell | Office of the CTO
________________________________________
From: infrastructure-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org [infrastructure-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Stephen John Smoogen [smooge@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 5:20 PM
To: Fedora Infrastructure
Subject: Consolidating services: secondary/alt onto download servers.

Currently secondary01 is a virtual host which stores various alternate
spins and such. Looking at the new netapps and their capabilities, I
would like to consolidate the data on secondary01 onto them and use
the download servers for the services that secondary01 currently does.

Pros:
There are 5 download servers and only 1 secondary server
The new netapps are purring along very nice.
We have enough disk space to satisfy this.

Cons:
???

Please fill me in on any cons or problems I need to look at
(historical, theoretical, etc)

Thanks.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle." -- Ian MacLaren
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default Consolidating services: secondary/alt onto download servers.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:20:25 -0700
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently secondary01 is a virtual host which stores various alternate
> spins and such. Looking at the new netapps and their capabilities, I
> would like to consolidate the data on secondary01 onto them and use
> the download servers for the services that secondary01 currently does.
>
> Pros:
> There are 5 download servers and only 1 secondary server
> The new netapps are purring along very nice.
> We have enough disk space to satisfy this.
>
> Cons:
> ???
>
> Please fill me in on any cons or problems I need to look at
> (historical, theoretical, etc)

Sounds reasonable to me too.

Note that currently the nightly spins are on seconday1, but hopefully
soonish they will just all be done in koji, so that space won't need to
be used too much longer.

kevin
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Stephen John Smoogen
 
Default Consolidating services: secondary/alt onto download servers.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 16:45, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:20:25 -0700
> Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Currently secondary01 is a virtual host which stores various alternate
>> spins and such. Looking at the new netapps and their capabilities, I
>> would like to consolidate the data on secondary01 onto them and use
>> the download servers for the services that secondary01 currently does.
>>
>> Pros:
>> *There are 5 download servers and only 1 secondary server
>> *The new netapps are purring along very nice.
>> *We have enough disk space to satisfy this.
>>
>> Cons:
>> *???
>>
>> Please fill me in on any cons or problems I need to look at
>> (historical, theoretical, etc)
>
> Sounds reasonable to me too.
>
> Note that currently the nightly spins are on seconday1, but hopefully
> soonish they will just all be done in koji, so that space won't need to
> be used too much longer.
>

Ok I will make sure that the access list allows for it to be mounted
on spin01 rw when needed


--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle." -- Ian MacLaren
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Tristan Santore
 
Default Consolidating services: secondary/alt onto download servers.

On 18/02/11 23:20, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Currently secondary01 is a virtual host which stores various alternate
> spins and such. Looking at the new netapps and their capabilities, I
> would like to consolidate the data on secondary01 onto them and use
> the download servers for the services that secondary01 currently does.
>
> Pros:
> There are 5 download servers and only 1 secondary server
> The new netapps are purring along very nice.
> We have enough disk space to satisfy this.
>
> Cons:
> ???
>
> Please fill me in on any cons or problems I need to look at
> (historical, theoretical, etc)
>
> Thanks.
>
Does that include the archive ?

Regards,
Tristan



--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Network and Infrastructure Operations
InterNexusConnect
Mobile +44-78-55069812
Tristan.Santore@internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

For Fedora related issues, please email me at:
TSantore@fedoraproject.org
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Stephen John Smoogen
 
Default Consolidating services: secondary/alt onto download servers.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 16:55, Tristan Santore
<tristan.santore@internexusconnect.net> wrote:
> On 18/02/11 23:20, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> Currently secondary01 is a virtual host which stores various alternate
>> spins and such. Looking at the new netapps and their capabilities, I
>> would like to consolidate the data on secondary01 onto them and use
>> the download servers for the services that secondary01 currently does.
>>
>> Pros:
>> *There are 5 download servers and only 1 secondary server
>> *The new netapps are purring along very nice.
>> *We have enough disk space to satisfy this.
>>
>> Cons:
>> *???
>>
>> Please fill me in on any cons or problems I need to look at
>> (historical, theoretical, etc)
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> Does that include the archive ?
>

Archive should already on the netapps and delivered through the
download servers via a CNAME alias.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle." -- Ian MacLaren
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 PM
seth vidal
 
Default Consolidating services: secondary/alt onto download servers.

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 16:20 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Currently secondary01 is a virtual host which stores various alternate
> spins and such. Looking at the new netapps and their capabilities, I
> would like to consolidate the data on secondary01 onto them and use
> the download servers for the services that secondary01 currently does.
>
> Pros:
> There are 5 download servers and only 1 secondary server
> The new netapps are purring along very nice.
> We have enough disk space to satisfy this.
>
> Cons:
> ???
>
> Please fill me in on any cons or problems I need to look at
> (historical, theoretical, etc)
>

+1 I think it's a great plan.

-sv


_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default Consolidating services: secondary/alt onto download servers.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:54:52 -0700
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 16:45, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

...snip...

> > Sounds reasonable to me too.
> >
> > Note that currently the nightly spins are on seconday1, but
> > hopefully soonish they will just all be done in koji, so that space
> > won't need to be used too much longer.
> >
>
> Ok I will make sure that the access list allows for it to be mounted
> on spin01 rw when needed

Well, currently there's no mount, I just scp the images over...
but we can work out the details as we get closer.

kevin
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org