Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Ricky Zhou

Default Requirements for us using externally hosted services

At today's meeting, we started a discussion of what kind of requirements
we should have for moving some services to externally hosted versions
(like Transifex to tx.net or Wordpress blogs to wordpress.com).

Here's are some initial items that we came up with at the meeting.
While it's often still useful to consider these on a case-by-case basis,
let's get a good list of requirements to talk about when looking at
hosted services.

1) Some level of freeness (unclear where we draw the line)
2) Configuration management
3) Backups
4) Ability to get data out
5) authn/authz
6) Level of support (for managed hosting like wordpress/tx)
7) Cost (compared to our own maintenance costs)

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
seth vidal

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 16:03 -0500, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> At today's meeting, we started a discussion of what kind of requirements
> we should have for moving some services to externally hosted versions
> (like Transifex to tx.net or Wordpress blogs to wordpress.com).
>
> Here's are some initial items that we came up with at the meeting.
> While it's often still useful to consider these on a case-by-case basis,
> let's get a good list of requirements to talk about when looking at
> hosted services.
>
> 1) Some level of freeness (unclear where we draw the line)

Agreed - is a freesoftware API/bindings enough? For example ec2 using
python-boto?

> 2) Configuration management

for some services this is important for maintainability -for others,
like blogs, less so.

> 3) Backups
> 4) Ability to get data out

3 and 4 are coupled in my mind.

> 5) authn/authz
- this is a fun an painful discussion about how we federate apps.

> 6) Level of support (for managed hosting like wordpress/tx)

This should be broken out into: Level of support offered by service
and Level of support we're currently able to successfully offer.

B/c there is 'desired' supoort level and 'reality' and those two do not
necessarily align.

> 7) Cost (compared to our own maintenance costs)

indeed

-sv

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Tristan Santore

On 03/02/11 21:03, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> At today's meeting, we started a discussion of what kind of requirements
> we should have for moving some services to externally hosted versions
> (like Transifex to tx.net or Wordpress blogs to wordpress.com).
>
> Here's are some initial items that we came up with at the meeting.
> While it's often still useful to consider these on a case-by-case basis,
> let's get a good list of requirements to talk about when looking at
> hosted services.
>
> 1) Some level of freeness (unclear where we draw the line)
> 2) Configuration management
> 3) Backups
> 4) Ability to get data out
> 5) authn/authz
> 6) Level of support (for managed hosting like wordpress/tx)
> 7) Cost (compared to our own maintenance costs)
>
> Thanks,
> Ricky

May I ask why is this happening ?

Did Red Hat slash the Fedora Infra budget ?

Regards,

Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore@fedoraproject.org

Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
seth vidal

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 22:31 +0000, Tristan Santore wrote:
> On 03/02/11 21:03, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> > At today's meeting, we started a discussion of what kind of requirements
> > we should have for moving some services to externally hosted versions
> > (like Transifex to tx.net or Wordpress blogs to wordpress.com).
> >
> > Here's are some initial items that we came up with at the meeting.
> > While it's often still useful to consider these on a case-by-case basis,
> > let's get a good list of requirements to talk about when looking at
> > hosted services.
> >
> > 1) Some level of freeness (unclear where we draw the line)
> > 2) Configuration management
> > 3) Backups
> > 4) Ability to get data out
> > 5) authn/authz
> > 6) Level of support (for managed hosting like wordpress/tx)
> > 7) Cost (compared to our own maintenance costs)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ricky

> May I ask why is this happening ?
>
> Did Red Hat slash the Fedora Infra budget ?

hah - no - much to contrary. The problem is not budget, it's about time
resources of the folks who work on fedora infrastructure. We've got too
many things to maintain and not enough people.

this is about figuring out how to provide the services we need at the
support levels we care about and also figuring out what is most
important/useful to fedora.

-sv

Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Adam Miller

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 05:49:19PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
<SNIP>
> hah - no - much to contrary. The problem is not budget, it's about time
> resources of the folks who work on fedora infrastructure. We've got too
> many things to maintain and not enough people.
>
> this is about figuring out how to provide the services we need at the
> support levels we care about and also figuring out what is most
> important/useful to fedora.

I suppose now is as good a time as any....

I've been lurking this list for probably over a year now and just more
or less waiting (for what reason I can't really recall anymore) to jump
in an help. So this is more or less my not-so-formal introduction about
myself to the infrastructure team.

My name is Adam Miller, I have been a Fedora contributor for over 3
years now and maintain a handful of packages, as well as help with QA
work, I am an Ambassador (as much as free time permits), I also help
with the Fedora Xfce Spin, and I am just generally an all around Fedora
fanboi. I have a little over 3 years of "professional" (ie - I get a
paycheck for it) systems administration experience and I am currently a
Systems Engineer at Dell working with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Oracle
Enterprise Linux on a R&D team. I would like to get involved with the Fedora
Infrastructure team and would be willing to help almost anywhere that is
needed (pending the preliminary ramp up time I would need if its a
system/application I'm not familiar with).

How can I help? Where should I start?

-AdamM

Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 PM
seth vidal

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 16:59 -0600, Adam Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 05:49:19PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > hah - no - much to contrary. The problem is not budget, it's about time
> > resources of the folks who work on fedora infrastructure. We've got too
> > many things to maintain and not enough people.
> >
> > this is about figuring out how to provide the services we need at the
> > support levels we care about and also figuring out what is most
> > important/useful to fedora.
>
> I suppose now is as good a time as any....
>
> I've been lurking this list for probably over a year now and just more
> or less waiting (for what reason I can't really recall anymore) to jump
> in an help. So this is more or less my not-so-formal introduction about
> myself to the infrastructure team.
>
> My name is Adam Miller, I have been a Fedora contributor for over 3
> years now and maintain a handful of packages, as well as help with QA
> work, I am an Ambassador (as much as free time permits), I also help
> with the Fedora Xfce Spin, and I am just generally an all around Fedora
> fanboi. I have a little over 3 years of "professional" (ie - I get a
> paycheck for it) systems administration experience and I am currently a
> Systems Engineer at Dell working with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Oracle
> Enterprise Linux on a R&D team. I would like to get involved with the Fedora
> Infrastructure team and would be willing to help almost anywhere that is
> needed (pending the preliminary ramp up time I would need if its a
> system/application I'm not familiar with).
>
> How can I help? Where should I start?

At fudcon this last weekend we identified some major items we want to
work on.

They are mostly 'fix all the stuff we have running'

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Cleanup_Tasks_2011

items on that list are a big deal to me. Get them clean, get things
straight, make progresss.

come by #fedora-admin and ping me or ricky or smooge or abadger1999 or
codeblock for help.

-sv