Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

Default Meeting Eucalyptus hosting

Hi,

At the infrastructure meeting yesterday Seth brought up the topic of
cloud hosting for Fedora services. With EC2 and Rackspace being
closed platforms, I suggested Eucalyptus as an alternative. I wasn't
able to find any hosting providers in the US that use it, but Rich
Wolski, the CTO of Eucalyptus Systems, expressed an interest in
chatting with you infrastructure folks about whether or not we at
Eucalyptus can just host it ourselves, depending on Fedora's needs and
such.

Would there be a good time and place to discuss this? The weekly IRC
meeting? (For Rich's benefit: the weekly IRC meeting is at noon PST
on Thursdays in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.net.) Another IRC
meeting in case the weekly one would be too pressed for time? A
conference call? Might an email thread be better?

--
Garrett Holmstrom

Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/15/2011 02:44 AM, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the infrastructure meeting yesterday Seth brought up the topic of
> cloud hosting for Fedora services. With EC2 and Rackspace being
> closed platforms, I suggested Eucalyptus as an alternative. I wasn't
> able to find any hosting providers in the US that use it, but Rich
> Wolski, the CTO of Eucalyptus Systems, expressed an interest in
> chatting with you infrastructure folks about whether or not we at
> Eucalyptus can just host it ourselves, depending on Fedora's needs and
> such

Is Eucalyptus folks interested in making it available in the Fedora
repositories? That would be a good point to start since it would help
integration regardless of who is hosting it.

Rahul

Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/15/2011 02:44 AM, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
>> At the infrastructure meeting yesterday Seth brought up the topic of
>> cloud hosting for Fedora services. *With EC2 and Rackspace being
>> closed platforms, I suggested Eucalyptus as an alternative. *I wasn't
>> able to find any hosting providers in the US that use it, but Rich
>> Wolski, the CTO of Eucalyptus Systems, expressed an interest in
>> chatting with you infrastructure folks about whether or not we at
>> Eucalyptus can just host it ourselves, depending on Fedora's needs and
>> such
>
> Is Eucalyptus folks interested in making it available in the *Fedora
> repositories? *That would be a good point to start since it would help
> integration regardless of who is hosting it.

Absolutely. Right now Eucalyptus bundles all of its Java
dependencies, so it isn't fit for review yet, but one of my job
functions is to strip them out and use distro-provided copies instead.
Eucalyptus requires a relatively large Java stack to build that
Fedora doesn't yet have, so this may take some time, but it is
nonetheless something I am working on. Thankfully Jpackage has most
of Eucalyptus's build dependencies, so that ought to make that effort
easier.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On 01/14/2011 02:14 PM, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the infrastructure meeting yesterday Seth brought up the topic of
> cloud hosting for Fedora services. With EC2 and Rackspace being
> closed platforms, I suggested Eucalyptus as an alternative. I wasn't
> able to find any hosting providers in the US that use it, but Rich
> Wolski, the CTO of Eucalyptus Systems, expressed an interest in
> chatting with you infrastructure folks about whether or not we at
> Eucalyptus can just host it ourselves, depending on Fedora's needs and
> such.
>
> Would there be a good time and place to discuss this? The weekly IRC
> meeting? (For Rich's benefit: the weekly IRC meeting is at noon PST
> on Thursdays in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.net.) Another IRC
> meeting in case the weekly one would be too pressed for time? A
> conference call? Might an email thread be better?

If it turns out to be the IRC meeting - I'm happy to yield cloud meeting
time, since we always seem to make you abruptly end. (Or merge, if
discussions include packaging Eucalyptus, etc.)

-Robyn