Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default REMINDER: publictest box motd

Ok when testing a project it is important to update the /etc/motd file
with the following information:

[fas username] - [date started] [date updated]
project title - project summary
directories/areas looked at.

Example:
Project Owner: smooge - Started: 2010-12-31 Updated: 2010-01-30
gnusong - a project to digitize the reading of all source code to a dance beat.
/usr/local/bin, /srv/web/songs

1) Systems that DO NOT have updated motd's will be wiped, reinstalled
to a fresh state and turned off until an RFR is needed for it. Systems
whose last update was over 90 days will also be subject to
wiping/reinstall/turn off.

2) publictest systems are NOT backed up. they are test/scratch systems
that are meant for eventual integration with some sort of
development/staging infrastructure.
3) due to communal nature of systems, people need to work together on
them to make sure they are not overwriting and beating each other up.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Clint Savage

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok when testing a project it is important to update the /etc/motd file
> with the following information:
>
> [fas username] - [date started] [date updated]
> project title - project summary
> directories/areas looked at.
>
> Example:
> Project Owner: smooge - Started: 2010-12-31 Updated: 2010-01-30
> gnusong - a project to digitize the reading of all source code to a dance beat.
> /usr/local/bin, /srv/web/songs
>
> 1) Systems that DO NOT have updated motd's will be wiped, reinstalled
> to a fresh state and turned off until an RFR is needed for it. Systems
> whose last update was over 90 days will also be subject to
> wiping/reinstall/turn off.
>
> 2) publictest systems are NOT backed up. they are test/scratch systems
> that are meant for eventual integration with some sort of
> development/staging infrastructure.
> 3) due to communal nature of systems, people need to work together on
> them to make sure they are not overwriting and beating each other up.
>
> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.

Smooge,

At one point, modifying the wiki page corresponding with the
appropriate publictest server was the proper way to have it show up in
the motd. Has this changed?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Server/publictest7 is
where I made my modifications, but it does not seem to appear anymore.
I think the script did a little wget/curl magic to grab the data from
the wiki page.

Cheers,

Clint

Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Anthony Mogrovejo

+1

2011/1/4 Clint Savage <herlo1@gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok when testing a project it is important to update the /etc/motd file

> with the following information:

> [fas username] - [date started] [date updated]

> project title - project summary

> directories/areas looked at.

> Example:

> Project Owner: smooge - Started: 2010-12-31 Updated: 2010-01-30

> gnusong - a project to digitize the reading of all source code to a dance beat.

> /usr/local/bin, /srv/web/songs

> 1) Systems that DO NOT have updated motd's will be wiped, reinstalled

> to a fresh state and turned off until an RFR is needed for it. Systems

> whose last update was over 90 days will also be subject to

> wiping/reinstall/turn off.

> 2) publictest systems are NOT backed up. they are test/scratch systems

> that are meant for eventual integration with some sort of

> development/staging infrastructure.

> 3) due to communal nature of systems, people need to work together on

> them to make sure they are not overwriting and beating each other up.

> --

> Stephen J Smoogen.

Smooge,

At one point, modifying the wiki page corresponding with the

appropriate publictest server was the proper way to have it show up in

the motd. *Has this changed?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Server/publictest7 is

where I made my modifications, but it does not seem to appear anymore.

*I think the script did a little wget/curl magic to grab the data from

the wiki page.

Cheers,

Clint

Anthony Mogrovejo
cel 01-995319333
Consultor IT
Linux User # 433253
Ubuntu User # 9562
www.anferinux.blogspot.com

twitter: @kde_tony

Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:50:43AM -0700, Clint Savage wrote:
> Smooge,
>
> At one point, modifying the wiki page corresponding with the
> appropriate publictest server was the proper way to have it show up in
> the motd. Has this changed?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Server/publictest7 is
> where I made my modifications, but it does not seem to appear anymore.
> I think the script did a little wget/curl magic to grab the data from
> the wiki page.

I think I've fixed this now -- The script that was updating motd's was
unable to find the hosts when we renamed from publictest7 to publictest07.

So the single digit version wiki pages were broken. If anyone notices that
updating the wiki page doesn't reflect in the server's motd let me (or
anyone in infra) know.

-Toshio

Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:22, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:50:43AM -0700, Clint Savage wrote:
>> Smooge,
>>
>> At one point, modifying the wiki page corresponding with the
>> appropriate publictest server was the proper way to have it show up in
>> the motd. *Has this changed?
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Server/publictest7 is
>> where I made my modifications, but it does not seem to appear anymore.
>> *I think the script did a little wget/curl magic to grab the data from
>> the wiki page.
>>
> I think I've fixed this now -- The script that was updating motd's was
> unable to find the hosts when we renamed from publictest7 to publictest07.
>
> So the single digit version wiki pages were broken. *If anyone notices that
> updating the wiki page doesn't reflect in the server's motd let me (or
> anyone in infra) know.

I was somehow unaware or forgot about this feature. As such, people
should use this method but please use the format as listed above so we
can keep track of who is using things and how long.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:47:22AM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Ok when testing a project it is important to update the /etc/motd file
> with the following information:
>
> [fas username] - [date started] [date updated]
> project title - project summary
> directories/areas looked at.
>
> Example:
> Project Owner: smooge - Started: 2010-12-31 Updated: 2010-01-30
> gnusong - a project to digitize the reading of all source code to a dance beat.
> /usr/local/bin, /srv/web/songs
>
> 1) Systems that DO NOT have updated motd's will be wiped, reinstalled
> to a fresh state and turned off until an RFR is needed for it. Systems
> whose last update was over 90 days will also be subject to
> wiping/reinstall/turn off.
>
> 2) publictest systems are NOT backed up. they are test/scratch systems
> that are meant for eventual integration with some sort of
> development/staging infrastructure.
> 3) due to communal nature of systems, people need to work together on
> them to make sure they are not overwriting and beating each other up.

I updated the appropriate wiki page (I hope) with Insight info:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Server/publictest04