Old 12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default delta rpm compose debugging change

Greetings.

Of late openoffice.org and a few other packages have been not
generating delta rpms in pushes. ;(

They error with:

Error genDeltaRPM for chunkd: exitcode was 256 - Reported Error: bad cpio archive

But looking later at both rpms, things seem fine. ;(

I've talked with jdieter and we would like to add in more debugging:

<jdieter> nirik: We're still having the "bad cpio archive" with openoffice.org updates
<jdieter> I have a patched version of deltarpm available at: http://www.lesloueizeh.com/jdieter/deltarpm-3.6-0.1.20101230git.fc14.src.rpm
<jdieter> If run with -vv, it will report old rpm, new rpm, and tell us what the actual first six bytes of what's actually in the rpm
<jdieter> vs the 070701 that it's supposed to be
<jdieter> I don't have an el6 system, so it will have to be rebuilt for releng2
<jdieter> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/createrepo/deltarpms.py needs to modified as well
<jdieter> The line with "makedeltarpm -v" needs to be changed to "makedeltarpm -vv"

epel5 scratch build at:
(releng02 is rhel5).

If I can get enough +'s I'd be happy to put this in place whenever.
Otherwise we can wait until next week after the freeze.

Thoughts? Comments? Other ideas?

kevin

Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 10:36:23AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Of late openoffice.org and a few other packages have been not
> generating delta rpms in pushes. ;(
>
> They error with:
>
> Error genDeltaRPM for chunkd: exitcode was 256 - Reported Error: bad cpio archive
>
> But looking later at both rpms, things seem fine. ;(
>
> I've talked with jdieter and we would like to add in more debugging:
>
> <jdieter> nirik: We're still having the "bad cpio archive" with openoffice.org updates
> <jdieter> I have a patched version of deltarpm available at: http://www.lesloueizeh.com/jdieter/deltarpm-3.6-0.1.20101230git.fc14.src.rpm
> <jdieter> If run with -vv, it will report old rpm, new rpm, and tell us what the actual first six bytes of what's actually in the rpm
> <jdieter> vs the 070701 that it's supposed to be
> <jdieter> I don't have an el6 system, so it will have to be rebuilt for releng2
> <jdieter> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/createrepo/deltarpms.py needs to modified as well
> <jdieter> The line with "makedeltarpm -v" needs to be changed to "makedeltarpm -vv"
>
> epel5 scratch build at:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2694315
> (releng02 is rhel5).
>
> If I can get enough +'s I'd be happy to put this in place whenever.
> Otherwise we can wait until next week after the freeze.

If this totally breaks, it won't break creation of repositories just the
creation of deltarpms for the repos, correct? If that's correct, +1 from
me.

-Toshio

Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:21:27 -0800
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

> If this totally breaks, it won't break creation of repositories just
> the creation of deltarpms for the repos, correct? If that's correct,
> +1 from me.

Yeah, worst case it should cause makedeltarpm to fail entirely,
producing no deltas for that push, which is already the case for some
packages (openoffice, chunkd, etc).

> -Toshio

kevin

Old 01-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Jon Stanley

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> Yeah, worst case it should cause makedeltarpm to fail entirely,
> producing no deltas for that push, which is already the case for some
> packages (openoffice, chunkd, etc).

+1 in that case...

Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Kevin Fenzi

I had to rebuild the deltarpm rpm locally, since it needed the
rpm-4.6.0 and popt that are used on releng02.

I just put this in place, so we will see if it helps us figure out
whats going on with those deltas.

to revert:

change
'makedeltarpm -vv' back to
'makedeltarpm -v'
in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/createrepo/deltarpms.py

and

cd ~kevin/drpm/
rpm -Uvh --oldpackage --replacepkgs
deltarpm-3.5-0.5.20090913git.el5.i386.rpm python-deltarpm-3.5-0.5.20090913git.el5.i386.rpm

Thanks everyone.

kevin