Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Domingo Becker

Default Transifex update - intltool requirement (was: Need a Sysadmin Greeter)

2010/12/9 Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com>:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:42:02 -0300
> Domingo Becker <domingobecker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, you're right, it's sysadmin-web.
>> I'm new in fedora-admin and I'm working on ticket 2389, about
>> Transifex update.
>>
>> I have no problem to take care of Transifex once I get it updated.
>
> Cool. There are several other tickets related to it...
>
>> I'm currently stuck with the transifex package requirement of intltool
>> 0.37.1 or above.
>> CentOS 5.5 base repo has intltool 0.35.0 so I guess it would be faster
>> for Fedora to push an update to Fedora EPEL 5 updates-testing repo.
>
> Not possible I'm afraid.
>
> EPEL never ships anything thats part of the base OS.

Oops

>> I asked Matthias Lasen (mclasen), the intltool package maintainer,
>> about the possibility to push an update to Fedora EPEL 5. I'm still
>> waiting for an answer.
>
> He's likely not going to be able to help.
> You would need to get the RHEL maintainer (whoever that is) to push
> such an update. I suspect they would have very strong resistance to
> doing so in a stable release. ;(

I tested in CentOS 5.5 with a package for F10.
But I did that by hand.
Doing that would be like cheating!
And it may be not acceptable by some internal policy.

I thought of the install to be as easy as doing a

yum install --enablerepo=epel-testing transifex

I have all packages in place now, except intltool. :-(

Who maintains intltool in RHEL5?
Perhaps asking...

> Perhaps it would be better to target RHEL6?

The python software stack RHEL6 has is incompatible with transifex 0.9.0.

And we need to update to transifex 0.9.0 in order to be able to update
later to 1.0, which may use the RHEL6 python software stack.

Some solution we will find.

Doing a hand installation of intltool for F10 from the package in koji
with a command like

yum install --nogpgcheck ~/intltool-0.40.5-1.fc10.i386.rpm

and then installing transifex with

yum install --enablerepo=epel-testing transifex

it works. But I don't know if it would be acceptable.

kind regards

Domingo Becker