Old 12-06-2010, 01:26 PM
"Matt Micene"

Default Need a Sysadmin Greeter

> We also need to show the separation between groups, sysadmin,
> sysadmin-noc, sysadmin-test, sysadmin-main etc. Some groups are going
> to take a while for someone to get into (sysadmin-releng and
> sysadmin-main) mainly because it is a matter of trust and work. Other
> groups are 'easier' to get into but still require trust. Anyway, I
> would like to get ideas on how e can do this better and move forward.

Speaking of AWOL, I was working with Mike on "job descriptions" for the
FIGs (for lack of a better term) to help expand the publicly available
information about the skills sets that were desired. I started this b/c
I had some issues trying to figure out how and where to start
contributing. We got about 1/4 of the way done before $DAYJOB ate my
time and knocked me off IRC.

I'd be glad to pick these back up and get into the hierarchy discussion
as well. You can see the current state if you hit the FIGs page and
follow on to any of the FIG names that have links. I'd also like to get
some input from FIG sponsors on the content.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs/FIG_Build_job_descrip
tion

I have a template for these that I can send round to anyone else who is
interested.

-Matt

Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 07:26, Matt Micene <matt.micene@dlt.com> wrote:
>> We also need to show the separation between groups, sysadmin,
>> sysadmin-noc, sysadmin-test, sysadmin-main etc. Some groups are going
>> to take a while for someone to get into (sysadmin-releng and
>> sysadmin-main) mainly because it is a matter of trust and work. Other
>> groups are 'easier' to get into but still require trust. Anyway, I
>> would like to get ideas on how e can do this better and move forward.
>
> Speaking of AWOL, I was working with Mike on "job descriptions" for the
> FIGs (for lack of a better term) to help expand the publicly available
> information about the skills sets that were desired. *I started this b/c
> I had some issues trying to figure out how and where to start
> contributing. *We got about 1/4 of the way done before $DAYJOB ate my
> time and knocked me off IRC.
>
> I'd be glad to pick these back up and get into the hierarchy discussion
> as well. *You can see the current state if you hit the FIGs page and
> follow on to any of the FIG names that have links. *I'd also like to get
> some input from FIG sponsors on the content.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs/FIG_Build_job_description
>
> I have a template for these that I can send round to anyone else who is
> interested.

Hi could you send this to Kevin Fenzi. I think he is hitting this
partially with ticket groups.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 15:24:31 -0700
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 07:26, Matt Micene <matt.micene@dlt.com> wrote:
> >> We also need to show the separation between groups, sysadmin,
> >> sysadmin-noc, sysadmin-test, sysadmin-main etc. Some groups are
> >> going to take a while for someone to get into (sysadmin-releng and
> >> sysadmin-main) mainly because it is a matter of trust and work.
> >> Other groups are 'easier' to get into but still require trust.
> >> Anyway, I would like to get ideas on how e can do this better and
> >> move forward.
> >
> > Speaking of AWOL, I was working with Mike on "job descriptions" for
> > the FIGs (for lack of a better term) to help expand the publicly
> > available information about the skills sets that were desired. *I
> > started this b/c I had some issues trying to figure out how and
> > where to start contributing. *We got about 1/4 of the way done
> > before $DAYJOB ate my time and knocked me off IRC.
> >
> > I'd be glad to pick these back up and get into the hierarchy
> > discussion as well. *You can see the current state if you hit the
> > FIGs page and follow on to any of the FIG names that have links.
> > *I'd also like to get some input from FIG sponsors on the content.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs/FIG_Build_job_description
> >
> > I have a template for these that I can send round to anyone else
> > who is interested.
> >

> Hi could you send this to Kevin Fenzi. I think he is hitting this
> partially with ticket groups.

If we could have a mapping of:

componenet in trac == FIG

that might be nice. Then we could have each FIG get CC'ed on tickets in
their area. So, one way to join a FIG or see if it's something you want
to work on would be to look at all the tickets in that group. It might
be easier for people than looking at the big pile of all tickets.

Thoughts?

kevin

Old 12-07-2010, 01:24 PM
"Matt Micene"

> > Hi could you send this to Kevin Fenzi. I think he is hitting this
> > partially with ticket groups.
>
> If we could have a mapping of:
>
> componenet in trac == FIG
>
> that might be nice. Then we could have each FIG get CC'ed on tickets
in
> their area. So, one way to join a FIG or see if it's something you
want
> to work on would be to look at all the tickets in that group. It might
> be easier for people than looking at the big pile of all tickets.

I think this is a good idea. There was some mapping of components to
FIGs, but it was somewhat informal and I a few times I had to go back to
Mike to clarify. Having a mapping that relates work (tickets) to FIGs
would probably help people figure out how to contribute. There looks
like some changes to components since last I looked too. Is this the
work you've been doing Kevin?

-Matt

Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:24:25 -0500
"Matt Micene" <matt.micene@dlt.com> wrote:

> I think this is a good idea. There was some mapping of components to
> FIGs, but it was somewhat informal and I a few times I had to go back
> to Mike to clarify. Having a mapping that relates work (tickets) to
> FIGs would probably help people figure out how to contribute. There
> looks like some changes to components since last I looked too. Is
> this the work you've been doing Kevin?

Yes, I added some components for things that had more than a few
outstanding tickets.

The only additional one I was thinking of was perhaps a 'Transifex'
one, as there are a number of tickets for it. I don't know that we have
a FIG/Group to assign them to however. ;(

If you could look at the FIGS and see if there is a mapping now?
If not I can adjust or create new components?

kevin

Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
"Matt Micene"

> The only additional one I was thinking of was perhaps a 'Transifex'
> one, as there are a number of tickets for it. I don't know that we
have
> a FIG/Group to assign them to however. ;(
>
> If you could look at the FIGS and see if there is a mapping now?
> If not I can adjust or create new components?

I'm probably not the best source since I started this *because* I was
new and trying to feel my way around the FIGs and what work was done
where but.... I believe that Transifex is handled within the
sysadmin-web FIG. Maybe someone from sysadmin-web can confirm or deny?

This would probably be where a true component level separation falls
down against the FIGs. I don't know enough about Trac to know if you
can create ticket user groups against the FIGs and assign components
that reflect use/technology to those groups.

-Matt

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Domingo Becker

2010/12/8 Matt Micene <matt.micene@dlt.com>:
>> The only additional one I was thinking of was perhaps a 'Transifex'
>> one, as there are a number of tickets for it. I don't know that we
> have
>> a FIG/Group to assign them to however. ;(
>>
>> If you could look at the FIGS and see if there is a mapping now?
>> If not I can adjust or create new components?
>

> I'm probably not the best source since I started this *because* I was
> new and trying to feel my way around the FIGs and what work was done
> where but.... I believe that Transifex is handled within the
> sysadmin-web FIG. *Maybe someone from sysadmin-web can confirm or deny?

Yes, you're right, it's sysadmin-web.
I'm new in fedora-admin and I'm working on ticket 2389, about Transifex update.

I have no problem to take care of Transifex once I get it updated.

I'm currently stuck with the transifex package requirement of intltool
0.37.1 or above.
CentOS 5.5 base repo has intltool 0.35.0 so I guess it would be faster
for Fedora to push an update to Fedora EPEL 5 updates-testing repo.
I asked Matthias Lasen (mclasen), the intltool package maintainer,
about the possibility to push an update to Fedora EPEL 5. I'm still
waiting for an answer.

kind regards

Domingo Becker

Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:42:02 -0300
Domingo Becker <domingobecker@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, you're right, it's sysadmin-web.
> I'm new in fedora-admin and I'm working on ticket 2389, about
> Transifex update.
>
> I have no problem to take care of Transifex once I get it updated.

Cool. There are several other tickets related to it...

> I'm currently stuck with the transifex package requirement of intltool
> 0.37.1 or above.
> CentOS 5.5 base repo has intltool 0.35.0 so I guess it would be faster
> for Fedora to push an update to Fedora EPEL 5 updates-testing repo.

Not possible I'm afraid.

EPEL never ships anything thats part of the base OS.

> I asked Matthias Lasen (mclasen), the intltool package maintainer,
> about the possibility to push an update to Fedora EPEL 5. I'm still
> waiting for an answer.

He's likely not going to be able to help.
You would need to get the RHEL maintainer (whoever that is) to push
such an update. I suspect they would have very strong resistance to
doing so in a stable release. ;(

Perhaps it would be better to target RHEL6?

> kind regards
>
> Domingo Becker

kevin

Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:02:47 -0500
"Matt Micene" <matt.micene@dlt.com> wrote:

> I'm probably not the best source since I started this *because* I was
> new and trying to feel my way around the FIGs and what work was done
> where but.... I believe that Transifex is handled within the
> sysadmin-web FIG. Maybe someone from sysadmin-web can confirm or
> deny?

Yeah. Having it's own componet might make it easier to see it's
tickets.

> This would probably be where a true component level separation falls
> down against the FIGs. I don't know enough about Trac to know if you
> can create ticket user groups against the FIGs and assign components
> that reflect use/technology to those groups.

Yeah, basically you can make any number of components you want, and set
some people or group to get CC'ed on new tickets filed on that
component.

kevin

Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 PM
"Matt Micene"

> Yeah. Having it's own componet might make it easier to see it's
> tickets.
>
> Yeah, basically you can make any number of components you want, and
set
> some people or group to get CC'ed on new tickets filed on that
> component.

Then it makes sense (to me) to make the components reflect what people
would report the issues against and use the groups to map the FIG
members and handle the notifications and permissions.

Can Trac talk to FAS to get the group membership info?

-Matt