Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 AM
seth vidal

Default thoughts for a mail forwarding nagios check

Not sure if we already have one of these but I was thinking about it
after the thing on monday with the forwards being screwed up.

a test account is setup pointing to an imap server somewhere.
we send an email to the account@fp.o every 10 minutes. The mail contains
a uuid generated for each mail.

the script checks to see if there is a mail in the imap folder
containing that uuid. If not it starts a nagios warning.

Surely someone else has written this test already, right?

if not - does someone want to work on it? It's a specific thing to test
and a finite project to work on, i think.

-sv

Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Walter Justen

Have found two plugins on Nagios exchange that can check an email loop.

check_email_loop

and

check_email_delivery

I'm happy to work on it. Will test both plugins parallel and will see
which one fits best.

regards
Walter

Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Oliver Falk

Seth,

this test is called 'check_email_loop' - I use this since a long time...
I'm sure you'll find it if you google around.

-of

Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM
seth vidal

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 11:12 +0100, Walter Justen wrote:
> Have found two plugins on Nagios exchange that can check an email loop.
>
> check_email_loop
>
> and
>
> check_email_delivery
>
> I'm happy to work on it. Will test both plugins parallel and will see
> which one fits best.

Walter,
thanks

-sv

Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Walter Justen

The nagios part is implemented. What i now need is a fp.o mail address
that will be forwarded to an IMAP account.

noc01 then sends a mail with a token in the subject to that email
address. Then nagios looks for this mail in the IMAP box and checks the
time the email needs for delivering.

Anybody please can setup the mail address an a IMAP account for this.

regards
Walter

Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 PM
seth vidal

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 13:43 +0100, Walter Justen wrote:
> The nagios part is implemented. What i now need is a fp.o mail address
> that will be forwarded to an IMAP account.
>
> noc01 then sends a mail with a token in the subject to that email
> address. Then nagios looks for this mail in the IMAP box and checks the
> time the email needs for delivering.
>
> Anybody please can setup the mail address an a IMAP account for this.

hmm - two fun questions:

1. how do we setup a dummy account so that it's CLA is done and is in
enough groups to get a email address?

2. what imap service to use.

-sv