Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default RFC: Work needed to be done.

0x1) Upgrading puppet to 2.6.4. We are currently on 0.25.2 (or 2.5.x
in new nomenclature). How to test deploy and build out?
0x2) Monthly upgrades.. lots of kernel and glibc updates so everything
needs to be rebooted.
0x3) Rebuilding RHEL6 systems and getting them ready
0x4) Moving .devel and .stg systems to dedicated hardware.
0x5) Moving to newer bacula
0x6) Rolling out new EL6 systems (what ones and why)
0x7) Mirror systems moving to Fedora hardware
0x8) Rolling out replacement hardware for old stuff
0x9) Nurturing and growing relationships with outside sponsors.
0xA) Documenting procedures, testing procedures, updating procedures
0xB) Tickets in queue
0xC) New projects

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 12-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Todd Zullinger

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> 0x1) Upgrading puppet to 2.6.4. We are currently on 0.25.2 (or 2.5.x
> in new nomenclature). How to test deploy and build out?

You may already know this, but I've got the latest puppet packages in
my fedorapeople repo:

http://tmz.fedorapeople.org/repo/puppet/

The fun part about puppet updates is that you really need to do the
master first, which makes testing interesting, unless you have a test
master and entire test network of nodes.

I have heard mostly positive things from those that have updated from
0.25.5. I moved to it on my home systems way back when 2.6.x was in
beta, and ran into a few small issues. I filed bugs and I believe all
of these were fixed in later 2.6 releases. The problem is that it's
been a long time since I updated, so I'm not a good person to speak to
a 0.25.5 -> 2.6.4 update.

If there's a pt system we could run a puppetmaster on, I'd be happy to
help out with any testing. I'd like to eventually update puppet in
EPEL, but finding folks to test and report on any problems is harder
than I would like, so I've held off.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Vivani, Hernán Ignacio

Stephen, I have talked with you a little by IRC, but you were busy in a meeting. I have no experience on the group work, but I really would like to help.
I don't know if there are specific documented procedures, but I think I could do something with 0x2 and 0x3 items.

Thank you very much
Hernan Vivani
Argentina

Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Dennis Gilmore

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 07:03:09 pm Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > 0x1) Upgrading puppet to 2.6.4. We are currently on 0.25.2 (or 2.5.x
> > in new nomenclature). How to test deploy and build out?
>
> You may already know this, but I've got the latest puppet packages in
> my fedorapeople repo:
>
> http://tmz.fedorapeople.org/repo/puppet/
>
> The fun part about puppet updates is that you really need to do the
> master first, which makes testing interesting, unless you have a test
> master and entire test network of nodes.
>
> I have heard mostly positive things from those that have updated from
> 0.25.5. I moved to it on my home systems way back when 2.6.x was in
> beta, and ran into a few small issues. I filed bugs and I believe all
> of these were fixed in later 2.6 releases. The problem is that it's
> been a long time since I updated, so I'm not a good person to speak to
> a 0.25.5 -> 2.6.4 update.
>
> If there's a pt system we could run a puppetmaster on, I'd be happy to
> help out with any testing. I'd like to eventually update puppet in
> EPEL, but finding folks to test and report on any problems is harder
> than I would like, so I've held off.
Please do make sure EPEL-6 has the latest version

Dennis

Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 AM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 17:31 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> 0x2) Monthly upgrades.. lots of kernel and glibc updates so everything
> needs to be rebooted.

I'll work on 0x2

> 0x3) Rebuilding RHEL6 systems and getting them ready

which ones?

> 0x6) Rolling out new EL6 systems (what ones and why)

ditto.

-sv

Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Alin Cretu

I'm not normally on IRC (bad times for me) but I could also help if needed with work on 0x2 and could probably help on 0x7.

I can be contacted via e-mail

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:32 AM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 17:31 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> 0x2) Monthly upgrades.. lots of kernel and glibc updates so everything

> needs to be rebooted.

I'll work on 0x2

Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 17:31:49 -0700
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

I'm happy to help others with anything as time permits.

I can take a stab over the next few weeks of cleaning up:

> 0xB) Tickets in queue

We have a ton of tickets. I can look at refiling them or finding people
to work them as long as people don't mind me pimping tickets here or on
irc.

kevin

Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Jason Brown

I can help out with 3, 5, and A however my time over the next few weeks
will be limited due to travel. I also have a few personal systems that
I can test the new 2.6 Puppet on from EPEL if need be.
Jason

Old 12-03-2010, 02:42 AM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 21:32 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 17:31 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> > 0x2) Monthly upgrades.. lots of kernel and glibc updates so everything
> > needs to be rebooted.
>
> I'll work on 0x2

all the rhel6 final boxes, excluding the builders are updated. Dennis is
working on the builders.

I'll start cranking through the rhel5 boxes tomorrow - after I make a
small change to func-yum

-sv

Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:04:13 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin@tummy.com> wrote:

> We have a ton of tickets. I can look at refiling them or finding
> people to work them as long as people don't mind me pimping tickets
> here or on irc.

Just to follow up to myself, I started in on this this weekend.

There were 323 tickets, which I pared down to an even 300 by closing
out things that were obviously done, filed in the wrong place or could
be quickly processed.

I also created: FedoraTalk and Mirrors components and renamed 'CVS' to
SCM and moved approprate tickets into them. Perhaps a 'Transifex'
component would be worthwhile as there are a number of tickets for it?

One thing I noticed is that the 'General' component is default, and
those tickets don't go anywhere, so someone has to notice them. Perhaps
we should have them CC to this list? Or would that be too much traffic?

Also, if there are people who wish to be cc'ed to tickets from a
specific component all the time, let me know and I can add that.

If folks could take a few minutes to look through all the tickets they
are assigned on (or all tickets overall) and see if they can move them
forward to conclusion that would be great.

Thanks,

kevin