Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Till Maas

Default RFR sponsor for Upstream Release Monitoring wanted

Hi,

I would like to ask if someone would sponsor me to host Upstream Release
Monitoring[0] on a Infrastructure machine.

To host this, an account with cron and unrestricted internet access
would be needed and some python packages. The accound would need to
store a plain text Red Hat bugzilla password with fedorabugs privileges,
therefore everyone with root access to that box (or the host of the
virtual machine, if it is one) should be allowed to know it and have at
least the same bugzilla privileges. I would prefer some Fedora or at
least a RHEL 6 machine to have some more up to date python available.

If anyone would sponsor this request, I will write up a formal Request
For Resources[1].

Regards
Till

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upstream_Release_Monitoring
[1] RequestForResources

Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 07:24:20PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask if someone would sponsor me to host Upstream Release
> Monitoring[0] on a Infrastructure machine.
>
> To host this, an account with cron and unrestricted internet access
> would be needed and some python packages. The accound would need to
> store a plain text Red Hat bugzilla password with fedorabugs privileges,
> therefore everyone with root access to that box (or the host of the
> virtual machine, if it is one) should be allowed to know it and have at
> least the same bugzilla privileges. I would prefer some Fedora or at
> least a RHEL 6 machine to have some more up to date python available.
>
> If anyone would sponsor this request, I will write up a formal Request
> For Resources[1].
>
> Regards
> Till
>
> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upstream_Release_Monitoring
> [1] RequestForResources

Hi Till, I'll be happy to sponsor you and show you around the infrastructure
hosts. I'm on #fedora-admin anytime you want to ask questions and get
started. (Note that there's a holiday in the United States next week so
I might not be available the whole week).

For Upstream Release Monitoring, which you've been prototyping successfully
on your own, we probably want to have it run on bapp01 in our infrastructure
and put the configuration into puppet (where we can use templates to keep
the password in a separate repository from the rest of the config)
eventually. Currently, that's running RHEL5.5, though. One possibility is
to pull in the python2.6 package from EPEL onto that box but I don't know if
you are using a lot of third party modules (in which case, it might be
easier to port the code to run on python-2.4 than it is to port away from
the modules that do not have python26 packages.)

We'll also update all the app servers to RHEL6 at some point but that will
require a lot of testing to be sure that everything still runs (mediawiki,
transifex, and all of our home-grown TurboGears apps) so we don't have
a definite timeline yet.

A formal RfR will be good so that we can know who to contact should it go
down and could possibly provide some hints as to who can take over should
something happen to you. Put me down as the Infrastructure Sponsor and then
contact me so we can tlak about getting you the necessary privileges to do
the work.

-Toshio

Old 11-23-2010, 06:55 AM
"giallu@gmail.com"

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:
> I would like to ask if someone would sponsor me to host Upstream Release
> Monitoring[0] on a Infrastructure machine.

I'm sure that will me very useful.

Is there a proper place to discuss some detail?

Specifically, I find the Debian way, that is, adding a file to each
package VCS to record where upstream releases are to be found [1], to
be a very effective idea.

Cheers

G.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-watch

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Till Maas

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 08:55:04AM +0100, giallu@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:
> > I would like to ask if someone would sponsor me to host Upstream Release
> > Monitoring[0] on a Infrastructure machine.

> Is there a proper place to discuss some detail?

It is fine by me to discuss it in this thread, via private mail or on
the Talk page of the wiki.

> Specifically, I find the Debian way, that is, adding a file to each
> package VCS to record where upstream releases are to be found [1], to
> be a very effective idea.

IMHO using the wiki is currently not a problem. Once all or nearly all
Fedora packages use it, it might be useful to move this to the VCS or
maybe PackageDB. But currently it is working fine and the wiki makes it
easier to add e.g. several packages at once. A problem with the VCS is
that it is not as easy as using the wiki to access the information,
because afaik currently all git repos would need to be downloaded
completely. Therefore I guess a PackageDB approach with an easy query to
get the list of regexes and urls would be better.

Regards
Till