Old 11-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default RFC: Backup upgrade

Currently we are using Bacula 2.4.4 for our backups. With the upcoming
upgrades to RHEL-6 the main backup software will be bacula-5.0.0. I
have 'gleaned' that the upgrade from 2.x to 5.x is not simple which
means we are going to need to do a project on how this will be done.

I am looking for people who have done project management in the past
to help out on this.. mainly it would be to help step through people
who may not have large scale project experience on what things usually
need to be done: scoping, staffing, dropback points, documentation,
etc.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:37 PM
seth vidal

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 14:28 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Currently we are using Bacula 2.4.4 for our backups. With the upcoming
> upgrades to RHEL-6 the main backup software will be bacula-5.0.0. I
> have 'gleaned' that the upgrade from 2.x to 5.x is not simple which
> means we are going to need to do a project on how this will be done.
>
> I am looking for people who have done project management in the past
> to help out on this.. mainly it would be to help step through people
> who may not have large scale project experience on what things usually
> need to be done: scoping, staffing, dropback points, documentation,
> etc.

Are there forward/backward compat issues with clients?

ie if we're still on bacula 2.X on the master can be backup a bacula 5.X
client?

-sv

Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Anthony Mogrovejo

Hi
My name is Anthony Mogrovejo I've seen projects with bacula, I hope to support in any way possible.

Regards

P.D
My Profile:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kdetony

Currently we are using Bacula 2.4.4 for our backups. With the upcoming

upgrades to RHEL-6 the main backup software will be bacula-5.0.0. I

have 'gleaned' that the upgrade from 2.x to 5.x is not simple which

means we are going to need to do a project on how this will be done.

I am looking for people who have done project management in the past

to help out on this.. mainly it would be to help step through people

who may not have large scale project experience on what things usually

need to be done: scoping, staffing, dropback points, documentation,

etc.

--

Stephen J Smoogen.

Anthony Mogrovejo
cel 01-995319333
Consultor IT
Linux User # 433253
Ubuntu User # 9562
www.anferinux.blogspot.com

twitter: @kde_tony

Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 14:37, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 14:28 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> Currently we are using Bacula 2.4.4 for our backups. With the upcoming
>> upgrades to RHEL-6 the main backup software will be bacula-5.0.0. I
>> have 'gleaned' that the upgrade from 2.x to 5.x is not simple which
>> means we are going to need to do a project on how this will be done.
>>
>> I am looking for people who have done project management in the past
>> to help out on this.. mainly it would be to help step through people
>> who may not have large scale project experience on what things usually
>> need to be done: scoping, staffing, dropback points, documentation,
>> etc.
>>

> Are there forward/backward compat issues with clients?
>
> ie if we're still on bacula 2.X on the master can be backup a bacula 5.X
> client?

As far I can tell nothing between 2.x is compatible with 5.x .. just
too much has gone on between the two releases. So part of the project
is going to be:

1) How much history do we need? How do we keep it?
2) Do we need new hardware? How much will that be?

etc.

> -sv

Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 14:39, Anthony Mogrovejo <tony001983@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> My name is Anthony Mogrovejo I've seen projects with bacula, I hope to
> support in any way possible.
>
> Regards

Thank you. I am hoping that we can involve more people in the
planning/development/staging parts and even if it comes down to doing
the OH CRAP ITS GOT TO BE DONE BY 5 being done by the usual suspects.

> P.D
> My Profile:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kdetony
>

> 2010/11/12 Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com>
>>
>> Currently we are using Bacula 2.4.4 for our backups. With the upcoming
>> upgrades to RHEL-6 the main backup software will be bacula-5.0.0. I
>> have 'gleaned' that the upgrade from 2.x to 5.x is not simple which
>> means we are going to need to do a project on how this will be done.
>>
>> I am looking for people who have done project management in the past
>> to help out on this.. mainly it would be to help step through people
>> who may not have large scale project experience on what things usually
>> need to be done: scoping, staffing, dropback points, documentation,
>> etc.
>>
>> --
>> Stephen J Smoogen.
>> “The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance.”
>> Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
>> "We have a strategic plan. It's called doing things.""
>> — Herb Kelleher, founder Southwest Airlines

> Anthony Mogrovejo
> cel 01-995319333
> Consultor IT
> Linux User # 433253
> Ubuntu User # 9562
> www.anferinux.blogspot.com
> twitter: @kde_tony

Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Mike McGrath

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 14:37, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 14:28 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >> Currently we are using Bacula 2.4.4 for our backups. With the upcoming
> >> upgrades to RHEL-6 the main backup software will be bacula-5.0.0. I
> >> have 'gleaned' that the upgrade from 2.x to 5.x is not simple which
> >> means we are going to need to do a project on how this will be done.
> >>
> >> I am looking for people who have done project management in the past
> >> to help out on this.. mainly it would be to help step through people
> >> who may not have large scale project experience on what things usually
> >> need to be done: scoping, staffing, dropback points, documentation,
> >> etc.
> >>

> > Are there forward/backward compat issues with clients?
> >
> > ie if we're still on bacula 2.X on the master can be backup a bacula 5.X
> > client?
>
> As far I can tell nothing between 2.x is compatible with 5.x .. just
> too much has gone on between the two releases. So part of the project
> is going to be:
>
> 1) How much history do we need? How do we keep it?
> 2) Do we need new hardware? How much will that be?

FWIW, there is a version of bacula2 compiled for RHEL6 so we can at least
do this transition as we need to. fas1 requires backups because of the
cert system and it gets them via bacula2-common-2.4.4

-Mike