Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Default fpo allowed programmingcoding?

> What languages are allowed on fp.o
> Not the wiki, the main html pages?

FI typically uses python. I don't think there's an explicit "allowed" or "disallowed" list, more choose a language that enough people in FI are comfortable with that if you get hit by a bus, someone else could step into your role. That means PHP is "out" for most of us.

Thanks,
Matt
--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 07:49, <Matt_Domsch@dell.com> wrote:
>> What languages are allowed on fp.o
>> Not the wiki, the main html pages?
>
> FI typically uses python. *I don't think there's an explicit "allowed" or "disallowed" list, more choose a language that enough people in FI are comfortable with that if you get hit by a bus, someone else could step into your role. *That means PHP is "out" for most of us.

PHP is growing inside our infrastructure, however I would like to keep
it to an easily audit-able amount. Mainly I would prefer that we
standardize on our frameworks so that it is either Drupal and
Mediawiki. The same on the Python side.. keeping the frameworks to an
amount that we know what we have and how they 'interact' with each
other.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Ricky Elrod

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 07:49, *<Matt_Domsch@dell.com> wrote:

>> What languages are allowed on fp.o

>> Not the wiki, the main html pages?

> FI typically uses python. *I don't think there's an explicit "allowed" or "disallowed" list, more choose a language that enough people in FI are comfortable with that if you get hit by a bus, someone else could step into your role. *That means PHP is "out" for most of us.

PHP is growing inside our infrastructure, however I would like to keep

it to an easily audit-able amount. Mainly I would prefer that we

standardize on our frameworks so that it is either Drupal and

Mediawiki. The same on the Python side.. keeping the frameworks to an

amount that we know what we have and how they 'interact' with each

other.

--

Stephen J Smoogen.

battle." -- Ian MacLaren

As far as any custom stuff we do - since we like Python, I'll throwanother shout out for Django.*I am pretty much in love with Django

PHP can get annoying because security isn't the default (as people likemmcgrath have pointed out to me several times -- though things likeFacebook's XHP (https://github.com/facebook/xhp) are helping to change
that.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 03:47:08PM -0500, Ricky Elrod wrote:

> As far as any custom stuff we do - since we like Python, I'll throw
> another shout out for Django. I am pretty much in love with Django
>
> PHP can get annoying because security isn't the default (as people like
> mmcgrath have pointed out to me several times -- though things like
> Facebook's XHP (https://github.com/facebook/xhp) are helping to change
> that.

Note that currently, all of our custom stuff is written on either
TurboGears1 or TurboGear2.

Things I can remember we're deploying upstreams of:
transifex and reviewboard (django),
collectd (?)
mediawiki, wordpress, and drupal (php)
awstats
moinmoin (python -- read-only)
koji (mod_python)
trac -- mod_wsgi(python)

-Toshio

Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Frank Murphy

On 09/11/10 20:47, Ricky Elrod wrote:

<snip>

> PHP is growing inside our infrastructure, however I would like to keep
> it to an easily audit-able amount. Mainly I would prefer that we
> standardize on our frameworks so that it is either Drupal and
> Mediawiki. The same on the Python side.. keeping the frameworks to an
> amount that we know what we have and how they 'interact' with each
> other.

Will be hoping to learn Drupal, on my own time and with the aid of
Drupal-Groups Ireland.

In college will be learning these relevant bits?:
Java
Javascript
PHP
xhtml
css

as part of:
http://tinyurl.com/qrrggo

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 12:49:16PM +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 09/11/10 20:47, Ricky Elrod wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > PHP is growing inside our infrastructure, however I would like to keep
> > it to an easily audit-able amount. Mainly I would prefer that we
> > standardize on our frameworks so that it is either Drupal and
> > Mediawiki. The same on the Python side.. keeping the frameworks to an
> > amount that we know what we have and how they 'interact' with each
> > other.
> >

> Will be hoping to learn Drupal, on my own time and with the aid of
> Drupal-Groups Ireland.
>
> In college will be learning these relevant bits?:
> Java
> Javascript
> PHP
> xhtml
> css
>
> as part of:
> http://tinyurl.com/qrrggo

Fedora Insight is planning to use Drupal. Talk to smooge or stickster on
IRC or see if you can make one of their meetings:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight

-Toshio