Old 09-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Nikolas Lam

Default Introducing me (Nik Lam, nlam)

Hi Fedora Infrastructure,

I've been a frequent Fedora user for approximately 3 years have been a
huge fan of free software in general for many more. Up until now though,
I've never contributed anything substantial back, other than acting as
an advocate among those who I know personally.

In July, I relocated from Australia to China (Shanghai) and am hoping to
actively participate in the Fedora Project and focus my efforts in this
region. In August, during her visit, I met with Mel Chua and Xin Zhen
(Fedora Ambassador "lonestar"). Mel suggested that with my background I
might be suitable as a contributor to the infrastructure team.

Some info about my skills:

I've worked as a sysadmin in the tertiary education sector for the past
3.5 years mainly on RHEL systems; prior to that, I worked mainly on
FreeBSD systems for 5 years. I am RHCE certified for RHEL4 and I'm
familiar with a bunch of the enterprise-oriented Red Hat-centric
technologies including RHN satellite, Cluster Suite and the
virtualisation capabilities of RHEL5. Application-wise, I think I've got
a fairly common set of skills, including:
* Apache httpd in conjunction with PHP, Tomcat and Zope-based web apps.
* mail services including exim, postfix, sendmail & dovecot
* (Sun) LDAP directory.

I've never been a big user of IRC, and therefore am quite the n00b, but
I've just registered the nick ni2ke4 on freenode and will be spending
time in the #fedora-admin to get acquainted with members of the team and
the way things work in infrastructure-land.

Cheers,

Nik Lam

Old 09-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Mike McGrath

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Nikolas Lam wrote:

> Hi Fedora Infrastructure,
>
> I've been a frequent Fedora user for approximately 3 years have been a
> huge fan of free software in general for many more. Up until now though,
> I've never contributed anything substantial back, other than acting as
> an advocate among those who I know personally.
>
> In July, I relocated from Australia to China (Shanghai) and am hoping to
> actively participate in the Fedora Project and focus my efforts in this
> region. In August, during her visit, I met with Mel Chua and Xin Zhen
> (Fedora Ambassador "lonestar"). Mel suggested that with my background I
> might be suitable as a contributor to the infrastructure team.
>
> Some info about my skills:
>
> I've worked as a sysadmin in the tertiary education sector for the past
> 3.5 years mainly on RHEL systems; prior to that, I worked mainly on
> FreeBSD systems for 5 years. I am RHCE certified for RHEL4 and I'm
> familiar with a bunch of the enterprise-oriented Red Hat-centric
> technologies including RHN satellite, Cluster Suite and the
> virtualisation capabilities of RHEL5. Application-wise, I think I've got
> a fairly common set of skills, including:
> * Apache httpd in conjunction with PHP, Tomcat and Zope-based web apps.
> * mail services including exim, postfix, sendmail & dovecot
> * (Sun) LDAP directory.
>
> I've never been a big user of IRC, and therefore am quite the n00b, but
> I've just registered the nick ni2ke4 on freenode and will be spending
> time in the #fedora-admin to get acquainted with members of the team and
> the way things work in infrastructure-land.

Welcome Nik, I agree with mel. I'm sure you will do well here. Have you
looked over our GettingStarted page?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

-Mike

Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Nikolas Lam

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 10:40 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Welcome Nik, I agree with mel. I'm sure you will do well here. Have you
> looked over our GettingStarted page?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

Hi Mike, thanks.

Yes, I've working through the getting started page and have had a bit of
a look at the wiki pages in the infrastructure SOP category and sampled
a few of the current trac tickets. I'll also check out meeting logs to
get an idea of what sort of things come up, and how meetings are
conducted. One of these weeks I'll get up early and attend a meeting
too. I don't think I'll make it through to 0400 HRS CST today though.

In the mean time, I'll start talking with existing China-based
contributors to find out what sort of infrastructure support would be
most useful to have nearby, in this time zone. This should help in
selecting a FIG to home in on.

Cheers,

Nik