Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 PM

Default Opening subscriptions to mirror-list{,-d} ?

I would like to propose we remove the subscription administrative confirmation for mirror-list and mirror-list-d.
¬*
As best as I can tell, the primary users of these lists are Fedora mirrors, with a few RHEL source and beta mirrors subscribed too, though for those tracked by MirrorManager, they are all also Fedora mirrors.
¬*
We no longer are adding new mirrors to the master mirror rsync ACLs, and have not added anyone to the ACLs for at least a year.¬* Therefore, the only ‚Äúbenefit‚ÄĚ an admin gets to being on mirror-list from a Red Hat corporate perspective would be advanced notice of new bits being staged or made available, at most 1 week advance notice.
¬*
It would simplify the process for mirror admins to sign up, and remove an administrative duty that Adrian Reber and I have carried for several years.
¬*
Please advise.
¬*
Thanks,
Matt
Fedora Mirror Wrangler
¬*
--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 PM
seth vidal

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 09:48 -0500, Matt_Domsch@Dell.com wrote:
> I would like to propose we remove the subscription administrative
> confirmation for mirror-list and mirror-list-d.
>

> As best as I can tell, the primary users of these lists are Fedora
> mirrors, with a few RHEL source and beta mirrors subscribed too,
> though for those tracked by MirrorManager, they are all also Fedora
> mirrors.
>

> We no longer are adding new mirrors to the master mirror rsync ACLs,
> and have not added anyone to the ACLs for at least a year. Therefore,
> the only ‚Äúbenefit‚ÄĚ an admin gets to being on mirror-list from a Red
> Hat corporate perspective would be advanced notice of new bits being
> staged or made available, at most 1 week advance notice.
>

> It would simplify the process for mirror admins to sign up, and remove
> an administrative duty that Adrian Reber and I have carried for
> several years.
>

> Please advise.

How about just moving the whole list to lists.fedoraproject.org and
redirecting it from redhat.com entirely.

Then we can deal with it entirely ourselves...

-sv

Old 08-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Matt Domsch

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:51:41AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 09:48 -0500, Matt_Domsch@Dell.com wrote:
> > I would like to propose we remove the subscription administrative
> > confirmation for mirror-list and mirror-list-d.
>
> How about just moving the whole list to lists.fedoraproject.org and
> redirecting it from redhat.com entirely.
>
> Then we can deal with it entirely ourselves...

(removing the 3 addresses no longer @redhat )

No objection here. There had historically been mirrors of Red Hat
content subscribed to the lists, but since the RHEL binaries are no
longer distributed, and AFAIK no one maintains a list of RHEL mirrors
aside from those listed in MM, making it @fp.o makes sense.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 08-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Jesse Keating

Old 09-20-2010, 01:57 PM

Marek, there were no objections that I saw. Can you open this up now? We may still move it to @lists.fedoraproject.org, but for now, let's just open the perms.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

> I would like to propose we remove the subscription administrative confirmation for mirror-list and mirror-list-d.
>
> As best as I can tell, the primary users of these lists are Fedora mirrors, with a few RHEL source and beta mirrors subscribed too, though for those tracked by MirrorManager, they are all also Fedora mirrors.
>
> We no longer are adding new mirrors to the master mirror rsync ACLs, and have not added anyone to the ACLs for at least a year. Therefore, the only "benefit" an admin gets to being on mirror-list from a Red Hat corporate perspective would be advanced notice of new bits being staged or made available, at most 1 week advance notice.
>
> It would simplify the process for mirror admins to sign up, and remove an administrative duty that Adrian Reber and I have carried for several years.
>
> Please advise.

This is fine with me, if no one objects I will open the list next week on Tue. I would also like to thank Matt and Adrian for their awesome work.

--
Where open source multiplies http://opensource.com

Marek Mahut Red Hat IT
Red Hat Czech Tel.: +420-532-294-666