Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Clint Savage

Default rss feeds for mailing lists

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@tummy.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> We have an old ticket to add some kind of rss feed for out mailing
> lists:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1002
>
> I added some ideas there a while back, but I don't have time to work on
> this further. Anyone interested in working on it? Should be a fun
> little project.
>
> The folks working on:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_notifications_system
>
> Would like to have rss feeds for the announce lists so they could use
> that to get announcements out to more people.
>
> Thanks,
>
> kevin

Kevin,

I could probably pick that up.

Cheers,

Clint

Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Till Maas

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 09:56:51AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> We have an old ticket to add some kind of rss feed for out mailing
> lists:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1002
>
> I added some ideas there a while back, but I don't have time to work on
> this further. Anyone interested in working on it? Should be a fun
> little project.

Gmane already provides such feeds.

Regards
Till

Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Clint Savage

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 09:56:51AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
>> We have an old ticket to add some kind of rss feed for out mailing
>> lists:
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1002
>>
>> I added some ideas there a while back, but I don't have time to work on
>> this further. Anyone interested in working on it? Should be a fun
>> little project.
>
> Gmane already provides such feeds.
>
> Regards
> Till

Till,

>From what I have gathered in my time in infrastructure, we like to
provide our own services. Generally speaking, using what Gmane does
in Fedora would be a perfect fit. I'll do some investigation and make
notes in trac.

Cheers,

Clint

Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Matt Domsch

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 09:18:38AM -0700, Clint Savage wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@tummy.com> wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > We have an old ticket to add some kind of rss feed for out mailing
> > lists:
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1002
> >
> > I added some ideas there a while back, but I don't have time to work on
> > this further. Anyone interested in working on it? Should be a fun
> > little project.
> >
> > The folks working on:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_notifications_system
> >
> > Would like to have rss feeds for the announce lists so they could use
> > that to get announcements out to more people.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > kevin
> >

> Kevin,
>
> I could probably pick that up.

I set this up on lists.us.dell.com recently, pretty easy. I can
provide pointers if needed.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Clint Savage

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@dell.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 09:18:38AM -0700, Clint Savage wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@tummy.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings.
>> >
>> > We have an old ticket to add some kind of rss feed for out mailing
>> > lists:
>> >
>> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1002
>> >
>> > I added some ideas there a while back, but I don't have time to work on
>> > this further. Anyone interested in working on it? Should be a fun
>> > little project.
>> >
>> > The folks working on:
>> >
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_notifications_system
>> >
>> > Would like to have rss feeds for the announce lists so they could use
>> > that to get announcements out to more people.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > kevin
>> >

>> Kevin,
>>
>> I could probably pick that up.
>

> I set this up on lists.us.dell.com recently, pretty easy. *I can
> provide pointers if needed.

Matt,

Actually, that'd be great. I'll ping you in IRC when I get a few
minutes this week.

Clint

Old 08-10-2010, 03:37 AM

http://domsch.com/linux/mailman-archive-to-rss is what I'm using, which came from
http://jmason.org/software/scripts/mailman-archive-to-rss.txt

I run it on a 15 minute cronjob, and has inside it a list of mailing list archives to look at. It's perl, so could easily be fixed up to automatically find the list of lists and run. The cronjob bit is a hack though - it'd be nice if it could be triggered to run as a procmail recipe on receipt of mail for a specific list. I suppose it depends how real-time we care the feeds are. It also doesn't do pubsubhubbub publishing, which we could hook into

http://domsch.com/linux/pubsubhubbub-publish

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Clint Savage

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM, <Matt_Domsch@dell.com> wrote:
> http://domsch.com/linux/mailman-archive-to-rss is what I'm using, which came from
> http://jmason.org/software/scripts/mailman-archive-to-rss.txt
>
> I run it on a 15 minute cronjob, and has inside it a list of mailing list archives to look at. It's perl, so could easily be fixed up to automatically find the list of lists and run. The cronjob bit is a hack though - it'd be nice if it could be triggered to run as a procmail recipe on receipt of mail for a specific list. I suppose it depends how real-time we care the feeds are. It also doesn't do pubsubhubbub publishing, which we could hook into
>
> http://domsch.com/linux/pubsubhubbub-publish
>

> --
> Matt Domsch
> Technology Strategist
> Dell | Office of the CTO

All,

I got the mailman-archive-to-rss script working. As Matt said, pretty
darn easy... I'm not sure the procedure to get it onto the mailman
lists in infrastructure though. I did it on my utos.org domain with
about 7 active mailing lists.

Things that I noted in the ticket[1] were the decision of which lists
to syndicate and a test server somewhere so I can get it working and
work out any bugs. Other than that, pretty simple.

Is there a server somewhere that can have a replica of the current
mailing lists?

Cheers,

Clint

1 - https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1002