Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM
"Matt Micene"

Default New guy question

I've been lurking and learning as much as I can via Trac , IRC, and the
wiki to figure out where I think I can best fit before sending my intro
email. I'm running into a bit of a road block mentally tho and am
looking for some pointers to docs I may be missing.

Is there more info like the Orientation SOP that goes into the
architectures in use for the various different services? The technical
architecture overview on the Infrastructure wiki is fairly generic and
high level and the SOPs are fairly deep in the weeds (as they should
be). Is there somewhere to find the middle ground at a service level
and or a next layer deep for the overview?

Could be just the way I process, but I'm having a bit of a hard time
finding an place to start unraveling the ball to answer the "What do I
want to do" question. Maybe sysadmin-noc is a good place to start (just
like the Real World (TM))?

TIA

Matt Micene
Solutions Architect, RHCE
DLT Solutions
Direct 703-773-1195

Don’t let virtualization uncertainty affect your ability to consolidate and enhance system performance. Learn how to break down barriers to open source virtualization adoption today: http://www.dlt.com/virt-barriers

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Matt Micene wrote:

> I've been lurking and learning as much as I can via Trac , IRC, and the
> wiki to figure out where I think I can best fit before sending my intro
> email. I'm running into a bit of a road block mentally tho and am
> looking for some pointers to docs I may be missing.
>
> Is there more info like the Orientation SOP that goes into the
> architectures in use for the various different services? The technical
> architecture overview on the Infrastructure wiki is fairly generic and
> high level and the SOPs are fairly deep in the weeds (as they should
> be). Is there somewhere to find the middle ground at a service level
> and or a next layer deep for the overview?
>
> Could be just the way I process, but I'm having a bit of a hard time
> finding an place to start unraveling the ball to answer the "What do I
> want to do" question. Maybe sysadmin-noc is a good place to start (just
> like the Real World (TM))?

We don't so much have an architectural overview as we do a FIGs
description. I've been meaning to beef that up anyway. Perhaps I'll do
it this week:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs

-Mike

Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
"Matt Micene"

> I've been lurking and learning as much as I can via Trac , IRC, and
the
> wiki to figure out where I think I can best fit before sending my
intro
> email. I'm running into a bit of a road block mentally tho and am
> looking for some pointers to docs I may be missing.
>
> Is there more info like the Orientation SOP that goes into the
> architectures in use for the various different services? The
technical
> architecture overview on the Infrastructure wiki is fairly generic and
> high level and the SOPs are fairly deep in the weeds (as they should
> be). Is there somewhere to find the middle ground at a service level
> and or a next layer deep for the overview?
>
> Could be just the way I process, but I'm having a bit of a hard time
> finding an place to start unraveling the ball to answer the "What do I
> want to do" question. Maybe sysadmin-noc is a good place to start
(just
> like the Real World (TM))?

We don't so much have an architectural overview as we do a FIGs
description. I've been meaning to beef that up anyway. Perhaps I'll do
it this week:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs

-Mike

(Sorry for the ugly bottom post, Outlook bites)

Ok Mike, I will continue to poke around the SOPs and the FIG
descriptions and figure out a landing spot for me. Then again, don't
complain if you can't help solve, maybe building an architectural
overview could be a place to start?

-Matt

Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:09:56PM -0400, Matt Micene wrote:
> [...]

Wow, +10 for attitude, Matt! The questions you get answered and then
help document for others will make other people's learning curve more
shallow.

Kind of timely:
http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?p=3271

Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Matt Micene wrote:

Naw, building the overview is easy. It's maintaining one that's hard

-Mike

Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
"Matt Micene"

Too true, I've spent most of my sysadmin career watching documentation
wither on the vine. It's repetitive, uninteresting and unscriptable so
we ignore it after the first go round

-matt

Old 07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Mike McGrath

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Matt Micene wrote:

> [...]

Though what questions would you have (that you wouldn't normally ask on a
mailing list). When I'm writing some more details in the FIGs what would
you as a brand new volunteer need/want to know to help decide what to do?

-Mike

Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:49:35 -0400,
Matt Micene <matt.micene@dlt.com> wrote:

> Too true, I've spent most of my sysadmin career watching documentation
> wither on the vine. It's repetitive, uninteresting and unscriptable so
> we ignore it after the first go round

Wiki's help. When I notice something is wrong it's easy to fix. This doesn't
solve the problem, but it helps.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
"Matt Micene"

I've been approaching this like I would a new job. Information about
what lives where physically, how things hang together from a logical
standpoint, what are the key tools in use (puppet, func etc), etc. The
Services page on the infrastructure wiki breaks some of that down for
things like tech in play and the FIG descs spotlight where people would
be working within the group as a whole.

Maybe a drilldown on the FIG? Eg, " The sysadmin build group is
responsible for the entire build environment. This includes the plague
and koji masters as well as the various build machines " is a good
overview, but where can we get the 411 for how that environment works
and plays? FIG orientation maybe? So that way a newbie can relate what
they've done with what is in play and needed for in a FIG.
sysadmin-build might not be the best example since knowing its koji and
plague gives some of that off the bat, but maybe for sysadmin-web
drilling in a bit more on the tools in place and a high level design
could help someone relate their experience to what the needs of the many
are.

Again, if this is somewhere that I haven't found or just put together in
the right fashion, let me know I could just be overthinking it...

-matt

Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 PM
"Matt Micene"

> Though what questions would you have (that you wouldn't normally ask
on
> mailing list). When I'm writing some more details in the FIGs what
> would
> you as a brand new volunteer need/want to know to help decide what to
> do?
>
> -Mike

Maybe this is also a personal experience thing... I've been holding off
on the intro email b/c I haven't picked a niche but:

I'm a platform / system admin and architect. I'm kinda old school, my
scripting and web programming skills all tie back to that, I've not been
a two hat dev / sysadmin for years now. Same thing with CVS and SCM in
general, installed, maintained, used for sysconfig but by no means a
merge master.

Its' not you, it's me? We both really great people, just want different
things in life? We need to see other projects?

-matt