Old 07-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Rob Marti

Default Looking for input: Segregating hosts to specific VM servers

On Jul 13, 2010, at 18:49, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Currently we have our staging environment and our production
> environment on the same servers. This works well for the most part
> because the loads generated by staging rarely affect production.
> However there are times where it would be nice to be able to test
> certain 'issues' together. As in updating the core xen/kvm server and
> a staging environment without affecting anything in production. My
> idea would be to look at either repurposing or budgeting for a staging
> xen server (lets call it sxen01 for convention) that would be used for
> various staging servers that could test for updates to say EL5.5->
> EL5.6 on all the systems at once or to work on tuning variables
> without affecting production servers.
>
> This is an initial idea so I am looking for feedback.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.
> “The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidan
> ce.”
> Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
> "We have a strategic plan. It's called doing things.""
> — Herb Kelleher, founder Southwest Airlines

It only makes sense to split them up like that. Even if the chance is
low for staging to effect production, they should be split. And
testing updates in staging before pushing to prod just makes sense.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> Currently we have our staging environment and our production
> environment on the same servers. This works well for the most part
> because the loads generated by staging rarely affect production.
> However there are times where it would be nice to be able to test
> certain 'issues' together. As in updating the core xen/kvm server and
> a staging environment without affecting anything in production. My
> idea would be to look at either repurposing or budgeting for a staging
> xen server (lets call it sxen01 for convention) that would be used for
> various staging servers that could test for updates to say EL5.5->
> EL5.6 on all the systems at once or to work on tuning variables
> without affecting production servers.
>
> This is an initial idea so I am looking for feedback.

IIRC we had them this way before but had to merge them back together. I'd
say xen01.stg would be following the convention we already have in place.
I'm not inheritly against this but unfortunatly the shared network means
we don't gain a whole lot from it.

What host did you have in mind?

-Mike

Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 19:36, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
>> Currently we have our staging environment and our production
>> environment on the same servers. This works well for the most part
>> because the loads generated by staging rarely affect production.
>> However there are times where it would be nice to be able to test
>> certain 'issues' together. As in updating the core xen/kvm server and
>> a staging environment without affecting anything in production. My
>> idea would be to look at either repurposing or budgeting for a staging
>> xen server (lets call it sxen01 for convention) that would be used for
>> various staging servers that could test for updates to say EL5.5->
>> EL5.6 on all the systems at once or to work on tuning variables
>> without affecting production servers.
>>
>> This is an initial idea so I am looking for feedback.
>>

> IIRC we had them this way before but had to merge them back together. *I'd
> say xen01.stg would be following the convention we already have in place.

that makes more sense than sxen01 or some sthing.

> I'm not inheritly against this but unfortunatly the shared network means
> we don't gain a whole lot from it.

Well what if we put it on cloud network . [Ok now I am off into the
deep end ]

> What host did you have in mind?

I was figuring xen13 when it gets repaired. It would basically take
say koji/cvs/app02/proxy2 and we would go from there.. [that should
then allow us to test things like haproxy changes that we want to see
where proxy1/proxy2 die or somesuch.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.