Old 01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Mike McGrath

Default xen1 outage

FYI all we're working on xen1's issues. They seem to be iscsi related but
its still not quite clear. Basically the last thing we see in the logs is
an issue with iscsi, then the box reboots. We're seeing similar log
issues around the same time on our other boxes... but they don't reboot.
See:

-Mike

Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
"Jon Stanley"

stupid question from an outsider - you have OMSA on these systems? If
so, what does it have to say, if anything? If it were HP hardware, I
could help more

On Jan 9, 2008 11:23 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> FYI all we're working on xen1's issues. They seem to be iscsi related but
> its still not quite clear. Basically the last thing we see in the logs is
> an issue with iscsi, then the box reboots. We're seeing similar log
> issues around the same time on our other boxes... but they don't reboot.
> See:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/334
>
> -Mike

Jon Stanley
Fedora Ambassador
jstanley@fedoraproject.org

Old 01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Jon Stanley wrote:

> stupid question from an outsider - you have OMSA on these systems? If
> so, what does it have to say, if anything? If it were HP hardware, I
> could help more

We actually don't monitor the hardware hardly at all on our systems. I'd
started to set something up a couple months ago but got distracted. Its
mostly a matter of getting someone with the time to do it and the
unfortunate lack of OSS solutions in that area.

-Mike

Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Mike McGrath wrote:

> FYI all we're working on xen1's issues. They seem to be iscsi related but
> its still not quite clear. Basically the last thing we see in the logs is
> an issue with iscsi, then the box reboots. We're seeing similar log
> issues around the same time on our other boxes... but they don't reboot.
> See:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/334

xen2 has started doing this too, having recently upgraded to RHEL5 it is a
likely suspect as both xen1 and 2 are now on RHEL5. I've updated the
ticket for more info:

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/334#comment:5

Right now xen2 is basically downgraded to FC6 as far as kernel and xen
libs are concerned. we'll see if that helps. I'll be testing the fixes
suggested on xen1 in the coming week.

-Mike

Old 01-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Itamar - IspBrasil

why these machines can't run fedora 8 ?

fedora 8 have new xen version, and new xen kernels.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Maybe because Fedora is also a moving target.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Mike McGrath

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:

> why these machines can't run fedora 8 ?
>
> fedora 8 have new xen version, and new xen kernels.

Fedora 8 is ill suited to this particular task which, in reality, is just
an appliance/abstraction between our hosts and the hardware.

-Mike

Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 PM
"Jon Stanley"

I'm out watching football atm, can't really look at my mail archives,
but has xen1 exhibited these issues since downgrading to RHEL5 GA
kernel? And is there the common signature of iSCSI issue -> crash
here? As someone who has been in the hosting business for a long time,
I hate to make two separate issues the same when there is not data to
support that conclusion. Feel free to tell me to shut up :-)

Old 01-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Mike McGrath

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Jon Stanley wrote:

> I'm out watching football atm, can't really look at my mail archives,
> but has xen1 exhibited these issues since downgrading to RHEL5 GA
> kernel? And is there the common signature of iSCSI issue -> crash
> here? As someone who has been in the hosting business for a long time,
> I hate to make two separate issues the same when there is not data to
> support that conclusion. Feel free to tell me to shut up :-)

xen1 started exhibiting these issues when we moved from FC6 to RHEL5 GA.
It was assumed to be hardware issue because of how sporatic the issues
were and because we actually do have RHEL5 on other xen hosts.

The iscsi issue may or may not be a red herring but some of the reports
listed in the ticket (and I haven't done exhaustive research on this yet)
suggests a kernel / poweredge bug that we may be hitting. We had moved
all non-redundant guests off of xen1 onto the more stable xen2 box. After
upgrading xen2 to RHEL5 we started seeing the same problems with it.
There's a few things we can try, I'll be doing so on xen1 with proxy4 as
our test host since its competely redundant and has, in the past, crashed
that box.

For now I'm going to see if the FC6 kernel and xen libs keep xen2 happy
while we're testing / probing at xen1.

-Mike

Old 01-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Jima

xen1 started exhibiting these issues when we moved from FC6 to RHEL5 GA.
It was assumed to be hardware issue because of how sporatic the issues
were and because we actually do have RHEL5 on other xen hosts.

Are xen1/2 the only RHEL5 Xen hosts with that particular quantity of
memory?

Jima