Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Mike McGrath

Default blogs.fedoraproject.org and planet

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Luca Foppiano wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm interested to know the status of the blogs instances in the
> fedoraproject domains.
> I would like to use the blog and the planet as news/story board for the
> local fedora communities website .
>
> * About the blog, Is something work in progress? I saw a nice
> infrastructure but with some work more to do:

Work in progress. AFAIK the docs still haven't been written up and it
still hasn't been announced.

> - are you aware that the css has some class broken? like the images are
> not correctly shown?
>
> - do you think is possible to customize also the left bar?

If you're any good at that stuff submit some patches, I'm sure we'd be
glad to have them.

> * about the planet, are there any plans to create a multi-instance,
> planet, maybe by country or by language?

We've talked about it and I think we decided no but I don't remember the
detauls.

-Mike

Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Luca Foppiano

On 02/11/2010 06:07 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Luca Foppiano wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm interested to know the status of the blogs instances in the
>> fedoraproject domains.
>> I would like to use the blog and the planet as news/story board for the
>> local fedora communities website .
>>
>> * About the blog, Is something work in progress? I saw a nice
>> infrastructure but with some work more to do:
>>

> Work in progress. AFAIK the docs still haven't been written up and it
> still hasn't been announced.
>
>> - are you aware that the css has some class broken? like the images are
>> not correctly shown?
>>
>> - do you think is possible to customize also the left bar?
>>

> If you're any good at that stuff submit some patches, I'm sure we'd be
> glad to have them.

I'm working with some other guys to evaluate some solutions for our
website infrastructure and the blog is one of our candidate. While we
will work on a sample for us we can provide you some patches and
suggestion on it.
Is there a trac/git repository for the blog system?

>> * about the planet, are there any plans to create a multi-instance,
>> planet, maybe by country or by language?
>>

> We've talked about it and I think we decided no but I don't remember the
> detauls.

uhm, that's a pity
I was wondering to workaround about this lack with a wordpress plugin:
feedwordpress (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/feedwordpress/)

I think this pluign needs to be packaged.

and for would be nice to have also "add to any plugin" which is already
packaged as: wordpress-plugin-add-to-any.noarch

bye
Luca

Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Bret McMillan

On 02/11/2010 12:53 PM, Luca Foppiano wrote:

>> We've talked about it and I think we decided no but I don't remember the
>> detauls.
>
> uhm, that's a pity
> I was wondering to workaround about this lack with a wordpress plugin:
> feedwordpress (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/feedwordpress/)
>
> I think this pluign needs to be packaged.

I have this packaged, as we're using it internally, if someone wants to
play w/ it.

--Bret

Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Sijis Aviles

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Luca Foppiano <luca@foppiano.org> wrote:

> I'm working with some other guys to evaluate some solutions for our
> website infrastructure and the blog is one of our candidate. While we
> will work on a sample for us we can provide you some patches and
> suggestion on it.
> Is there a trac/git repository for the blog system?

The theme used for the blogs site is what's available.

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/browser/themes/wordpress-mu-theme-fedora

Sijis

Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 02/11/2010 07:07 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Luca Foppiano wrote:
>
>> * about the planet, are there any plans to create a multi-instance,
>> planet, maybe by country or by language?
>>

> We've talked about it and I think we decided no but I don't remember the
> detauls.

We have things like http://planet.fedoraproject.org/design/ or
http://planet.fedoraproject.org/desktop/

There may be others, but they are not advertised enough nor easily
discoverable.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Luca Foppiano

On 02/12/2010 09:06 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
[...]
> We have things like http://planet.fedoraproject.org/design/ or
> http://planet.fedoraproject.org/desktop/
>
> There may be others, but they are not advertised enough nor easily
> discoverable.

this is interesting! How's possible to have one let's say
http://planet.fedoraproject.org/italy/ ?

Thanks
Luca

Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Luca Foppiano

On 02/11/2010 06:07 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Work in progress. AFAIK the docs still haven't been written up and it
> still hasn't been announced.
>
>> - are you aware that the css has some class broken? like the images are
>> not correctly shown?
>>
>> - do you think is possible to customize also the left bar?
>>

> If you're any good at that stuff submit some patches, I'm sure we'd be
> glad to have them.

My skills in php and wordpress themes are really low, anyway I took a
look at the possible problem with the images. I think there is some
class missing in the css. I'm working on my machine to test it.

Another thing that I found is related to the login, if you try to access
the control panel and you are not logged, you are forwarded to the login
page. When you enter the credentials, you are autenticated but forwarded
to a wrong address:

https://blogs.fedoraproject.org/wp/http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.fedoraproject.org%2Fwp%2Fwp-admin%2F

Another question. is there a page or a draft of the whole blogs project
in the fedora wiki?

Thanks
Luca

Old 02-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Mike McGrath

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Luca Foppiano wrote:

> On 02/11/2010 06:07 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
>

> > Work in progress. AFAIK the docs still haven't been written up and it
> > still hasn't been announced.
> >
> >> - are you aware that the css has some class broken? like the images are
> >> not correctly shown?
> >>
> >> - do you think is possible to customize also the left bar?
> >>

> > If you're any good at that stuff submit some patches, I'm sure we'd be
> > glad to have them.
>
> My skills in php and wordpress themes are really low, anyway I took a
> look at the possible problem with the images. I think there is some
> class missing in the css. I'm working on my machine to test it.
>
> Another thing that I found is related to the login, if you try to access
> the control panel and you are not logged, you are forwarded to the login
> page. When you enter the credentials, you are autenticated but forwarded
> to a wrong address:
>
> https://blogs.fedoraproject.org/wp/http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.fedoraproject.org%2Fwp%2Fwp-admin%2F

To make sure these things don't get dropped, it's best to open a ticket at
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/

> Another question. is there a page or a draft of the whole blogs project
> in the fedora wiki?

I'm not sure where they coordinated how they came to this particular
setup, but I know some of the docs aren't done yet (which is why it's not
'official' yet and why it's not been announced)

-Mike

Old 02-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Sijis Aviles

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, Luca Foppiano wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/2010 06:07 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
>>

>> > Work in progress. *AFAIK the docs still haven't been written up and it
>> > still hasn't been announced.

>> > If you're any good at that stuff submit some patches, I'm sure we'd be
>> > glad to have them.
>>
>> My skills in php and wordpress themes are really low, anyway I took a
>> look at the possible problem with the images. I think there is some
>> class missing in the css. I'm working on my machine to test it.
>>
>> Another thing that I found is related to the login, if you try to access
>> the control panel and you are not logged, you are forwarded to the login
>> page. When you enter the credentials, you are autenticated but forwarded
>> to a wrong address:
>>
>> https://blogs.fedoraproject.org/wp/http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.fedoraproject.org%2Fwp%2Fwp-admin%2F
>>

> To make sure these things don't get dropped, it's best to open a ticket at
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/
>

>> Another question. is there a page or a draft of the whole blogs project
>> in the fedora wiki?
>>

> I'm not sure where they coordinated how they came to this particular
> setup, but I know some of the docs aren't done yet (which is why it's not
> 'official' yet and why it's not been announced)
>
> * * * *-Mike

The redirect is a known problem and there is already a few tickets filed:

Although the tickets don't mention it, there has been some work
towards getting this resolved. We do believe its either a problem with
wp-login.php or http -> https rewrite issue (more likely the rewrite).

The wiki page on the blog.fp.o stuff is on the Websites page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites#blogs.fedoraproject.org

The docs and the redirect issues are the main reasons blogs hasn't
been announced yet.

If you'd like to talk more about this and have some ideas, you can
find us in #fedora-websites on Freenode.

Thanks,

Sijis

Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Luca Foppiano

On 02/15/2010 04:59 PM, Sijis Aviles wrote:

[...]

> The wiki page on the blog.fp.o stuff is on the Websites page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites#blogs.fedoraproject.org
>
> The docs and the redirect issues are the main reasons blogs hasn't
> been announced yet.
>
> If you'd like to talk more about this and have some ideas, you can
> find us in #fedora-websites on Freenode.

Hi, I worked a bit on the theme and I produced some patches (in attachment):

- added caption style for images (I basically copied from the default theme)
- fixed some links (you should test it because I didn't on fedora
infrastructure wordpress
- update the screenshot (I wrongly committed twice so we have two
patches but one is not used, sorry but is too long time I'm not using git)

Please give a check and let me know if is ok.

Thanks
Luca